RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
The 25' A/B Floor plan has been available through Airstream dating all the way back to the 1980's but lost a lot of steam when the 25' FB floor plan was introduced in 2005. The 25' A/B then became a very slow mover and dealers were not placing orders for the non-booth dinette floor plan. For 2008 Airstream discontinued the Classic A/B Version of the Floor Plan and offered a 25'FB Classic, then Airstream introduced the A/B floor plan as a Safari SE with a rear panoramic window. Wow, what a difference the aluminum interior, recessed halogen lighting and rear panoramic windows made to this floor plan. This model also features a large comfortable sofa which makes for a very relaxing TV viewing or lounging experience, a sliding dinette table, microwave and regular oven and a all-in-one private side bathroom. I personally ordered as many as I could and sold them as soon as they hit the lot. Unfortunately, not enough orders were placed to justify the keeping the floor plan for the 2009 model year, so we built the last two we could get. I am sure this limited production Gem will be extremely sought after in years to come.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
That makes sense, and thanks for explaining. I agree with you that it's going to be greatly sought-after. If I could buy one now, I would do so in a heartbeat.

I'm thinking how a FB SE/Flying Cloud, with it's showy looks, would do well with the A/B plan. Lounge in back with panoramic windows, aluminum, and great lighting, and the front bedroom with all its positives. You could have either a split bath or a one-sided bath. It would seem like a win-win! One can hope that they might address that in the future. Heck, I'd buy a more expensive model if I had to in order to get that floor plan.

The current FB plan is nice, but the long, armless sofa flowing into the dinette (not bad) and the distance from television to viewing area (not good) isn't that conducive to power lounging. If the bench even had a fold-down padded arm between the bench area and dinette seating where you could prop some pillows and stretch out, it would be better. Personally, I'd be afraid to plop on the folded-down dinette with my boyfriend and dog to watch a movie, whereas the A/B lounge is perfect for a snugglefest.
Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
OMG....AS is doing away with my dream. I have a Safari 25 A SE Twin BED model on my desk top. It was going to be our retirement Airstream. PLEASE say its not true. We wanted the Front couch and rear twin beds with the all in one bath. NOW what am I going to do?????? We can't buy this year because of surgury and retirement investment commitments. Please AS don't let this model die. I know they did not sell after the FB 25 was introduced.

Ya know what might make me happy is have the front bedroom 25 SE with the option of either the dinette OR a Couch with the cradenza in place of the current bench seat. But keep everything else the same as the current FB.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
We picked up our 27 FB SE in December 2007. We've only been able to use it three times, but love the floor plan. As for the 23" LCD TV not being easy to view from the dinette, I will choose to disagree. I made two "bedpillow" size cushions to use for backrests up against the panoramic window behind the dinette. These allow us to turn sideways on the dinette to watch TV. I was surprised how many HD channels we were able to pull in even though we were well away from civilization. Our outings so far have been during cold weather and we spent many evening hours at the dinette. Besides meals and watching TV the dinette is the perfect spot for the laptop, for reading and working crossword puzzles.

I will admit that the rest of the "couch" that flows into the dinette is mostly a waste except for the occassional guest. For the most part our A/S is just for the two of us, though I'm certain my sister will be OK sleeping on that part of the couch so we don't have to decontruct the dinette! She's quite the trooper and has slept on a variety of surfaces over the years on our various boats.

I think the important thing is to really know what you "need", not just what you "want". And what I "need" right now is some warmer weather!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Marilou
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
bombay, we've found this to be exactly our experience. We usually use that extra sofa space as a landing-pad for our small dogs, but we've also used the expanded version as the perfect guest bed.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Safari 25A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiamma View Post
Does anyone here have the 23' or 25' Safari without the dinette? I'm a few years out from buying, but plan to buy a newer used model (probably), and have my eye on the 2008 25' Safari SE. I honestly would rather have the cushy couch, credenza and fold-out table along with a bit more floor space than a dinette. I rarely use my kitchen table in my house, where space is not at a premium! I plan to full-time in my Airstream (travel nursing) with my dog and cats (and possibly the boyfriend). No kids, but the dog is a Newfoundland mix, so we'd BOTH appreciate the floor space.

Does anyone have any feedback on this floor plan? Got it but wish you had a dinette? Have a dinette and wish you had the lounge area? Is this particular floor plan popular or harder to find--meaning, will I have trouble locating a used one in two or three years?

Another question--is Airstream planning to continue the SE models? I love the aluminum interior but do not love the dark laminate of the Internationals, or the beach theme of the Ocean Breeze (cute but not my style). The panoramic windows seem pretty spectacular, too.

Thank you, and feel free to pipe up with any advice or opinions, I'd love to hear them!
We just purchased a base model 2008 Safari 25A (Twin Beds) from Airstream of Arkansas. After about a year of constant research and questioning our needs vs wants we decided on this particular model. We wanted a classic floor plan with a couch but with less weight, so the Safari 25A fit the bill perfectly. We also decided to forgo the wrap around windows in order to conserve weight and we have seen comments that the smaller window units tend to stay cooler/warmer ????. Our unit has an unloaded base weight of 5,065 lbs so my 1/2 ton 2007 GMC Sierra will pull this unit very nicely with minimal gas mileage penalty. Although this is a base unit it is still equipped quite nicely and has everything we will need. Our salesman at Airstream of Arkansas (Kirk) gave us a great deal and made the whole buying process very easy and no stress. He is a great guy to deal with. We will be going to pick her up (no name yet) in mid August and will stay a couple nights locally to check everything out. We have been planning this purchase for a number of years and are extremely happy that our time has finally come. Will report back on how things go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin Bed 007.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	64973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin Bed 010.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	64974  

szimmerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd like the 27' Queen bedroom, the sofa, a dinette with a table several feel longer (computer, box of tissues, eating space, printer, books, maps, etc. all have to fit on table), more storage, more counter area, giant batteries to power 12v TV and microwave, all in 25' (though bigger inside like the Tardis) and weighing about 3,000 lbs. Oh, a bigger shower, fresh and grey water tanks, more knee room on the toilet.

Oh, well, fantasies are fun. So far, the 25' FB SE has worked for us. A few things:

The "sofa" is just a bench seat and not comfy like a real sofa. It becomes a place for books, clothes (especially when we go to bed) and things that need a temporary place to live. My wife piles the pillows behind her head and stretches out on the streetside dinette seat and "sofa" and watches TV and then falls asleep. I guess it's comfy to her. I just sit at the table with my precious laptop. I imagine if I were staying somewhere for a while, I'd like the dinette even more because of all the things the table accumulates (and the seat next to me and the floor under the table).

Everyone has different needs and that's why they make so many models, but apparently not enough. Fear not Fiamma, someone will be selling the model you want when you are ready to buy. it may take a little time, but there is a fair amount of turnover.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Smile 2008 Safari 25A (Twin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szimmerer View Post
We just purchased a base model 2008 Safari 25A (Twin Beds) from Airstream of Arkansas. After about a year of constant research and questioning our needs vs wants we decided on this particular model. We wanted a classic floor plan with a couch but with less weight, so the Safari 25A fit the bill perfectly. We also decided to forgo the wrap around windows in order to conserve weight and we have seen comments that the smaller window units tend to stay cooler/warmer ????. Our unit has an unloaded base weight of 5,065 lbs so my 1/2 ton 2007 GMC Sierra will pull this unit very nicely with minimal gas mileage penalty. Although this is a base unit it is still equipped quite nicely and has everything we will need. Our salesman at Airstream of Arkansas (Kirk) gave us a great deal and made the whole buying process very easy and no stress. He is a great guy to deal with. We will be going to pick her up (no name yet) in mid August and will stay a couple nights locally to check everything out. We have been planning this purchase for a number of years and are extremely happy that our time has finally come. Will report back on how things go.
Picked up our baby on Tuesday at Airstream of Arkansas. Kirk had everything cleaned and ready for us to spend the night at the dealership. The first night was great just getting use to the trailer and we even had a healthy rain storm that night that allowed us to check for leaks. The sound of the rain hitting that aluminum skin is a very soothing feeling. The following morning we went over every inch of the trailer to check for leaks/water intrusion and found nothing. Kirk spent the entire day with us going over all the systems again and arranged to have a second fantastic fan added (last minute decision on our part). Kirk and Mike (Maintenance) gave us a very good training session on hooking and unhooking the trailer and and going over the trailer brake control operation.

The return trip to central Mississippi was "interesting" due to the monsoon rains we encountered. Traffic along I-55 was slowed to a crawl at times due to the poor visibility. But the trailer/truck rig worked flawlessly during the 5 hour trip and I never felt uncomfortable or out of my element at any time. When we got home I checked for leaks again (after the monsoon drive) and found one small leak at one corner of the front window and one even smaller leak at a corner of the back window. I cleaned out some dead bugs from the lower window channel on both windows that were clogging the weep holes and made sure the windows were all sealing tightly. I will monitor those spots closely to ensure they are fixed. But considering how hard it rained over the two day period plus driving at interstate speed, I am very pleased with the water integrity of the unit.

All in all the experience was very satisfying, it would have been great to have nicer weather but no big deal. The folks at Airstream of Arkansas (Kirk, Mike and Gene) were great to us over the two day experience and I really cannot think of of one complaint. Everything they said they would do, they did it. There were no extra fees or accessory sales pitches at time of delivery, they just made sure we were happy and that all our questions/concerns were answered.

We really look forward to hitting the road and being part of the Airstream community.
szimmerer is offline   Reply With Quote