Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
replace blinds in 2008 safari se 25FB

anyone replaced these horrible blinds in this coach...i hate them and am looking for a solution...

also am taking out the bed and building seating/bedding similar to that in the rear of the coach...i have been sleeping there and it is much more comfortable than the bed and by replacing the bed with this seating/bedding i believe i can make the entire coach much more comfortable and useful for two of us and the two dogs.....

also how does one get the refrigerator to cool as one travels down the road, esp in 100 degree plus weather....unit seems to work fine while camped and hooked to shore power, but when traveling temp goes to 50 plus????
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Do you set it on Auto? If you do, it will switch to gas automatically when you disconnect it from AC. The refer stays cool and the freezer keeps everything frozen. Haven't had any problems like you describe.

Is the bed in the back of your trailer a side bed? Will it be a couch/goucho?
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
anyone replaced these horrible blinds in this coach...i hate them and am looking for a solution...

also am taking out the bed and building seating/bedding similar to that in the rear of the coach...i have been sleeping there and it is much more comfortable than the bed and by replacing the bed with this seating/bedding i believe i can make the entire coach much more comfortable and useful for two of us and the two dogs.....

also how does one get the refrigerator to cool as one travels down the road, esp in 100 degree plus weather....unit seems to work fine while camped and hooked to shore power, but when traveling temp goes to 50 plus????
Replace the Mattress! That might make all of the difference. I replaced mine with an 8 inch foam mattress and I find it quite comfortable. You can go pillowtop or memory foam if you like that better.

I agree the dinette in the down position is comfortable, AND that the sideways queen which shows you can walk around it doesn't take into consideration the inward curve of the front lower segments. I'm not tall, and I've noticed that the RV queen is nearly square. If you're shorter it might be possible to have a fore and aft short queen even in the 25 footer.

I actually miss the desk I had in my 22 footer, and have thought of making a shelf over the foot of my bed to use as a desk.

Good luck with your renovations.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
set on auto is pooey

it is set on auto and always shows lp mode even on shore power....most times stationary with shore power tem shows 33 or so but when traveling it goes up to 50 or 60...factory recommended putting a piece of filter cloth on outside ref access door to accomodate pilot light and maintenance while whizing down the road....

replaced matress...room is just to crowded and unaccomodating with bed so it is going....

what about blinds./has any one replaced these horrible contrtaptions????i
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
as far as your refrig. mine will always show lp when plugged in, however if after you plug into shore power turn it off and than back on and lp goes away. I tried pre cooling with lp prior to trips but after 5 hours it was still too warm, so now I plug it in at the house and let it cool down than switch to lp, no problems so far. you could probably replace your aluminum blinds with the international's day night shades or get custom verticals.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
as far as your refrig. mine will always show lp when plugged in, however if after you plug into shore power turn it off and than back on and lp goes away. I tried pre cooling with lp prior to trips but after 5 hours it was still too warm, so now I plug it in at the house and let it cool down than switch to lp, no problems so far. you could probably replace your aluminum blinds with the international's day night shades or get custom verticals.
Fridge - mine goes from gas to electric as soon as I plug in. Check your circuit breakers, the reefer has it's own. BTW on newer models to reset a breaker you have to push it to a solid "OFF" then reset it to "ON".

Quite a few people have replaced the venetians with the International Day/Night blinds - they are PRICEY. I asked at the mothership, and it was over $120 per blind for my unit - six windows (I don't have wraparounds in the bedroom. Several people found similar blinds in marine product catalogs and websites.

And there's no "half way open". They are either totally retracted or totally closed. The earlier CCD's had plain white window blinds, with a snap on the bottom to hold them down. The newer ones are contained inside of a metal roller, are aluminum colored rather than white and have sort of a catch at the bottom that parks in a receiver screwed to the wall below the window. These hug the window closely mainly because the roller is small, and the blinds come off the roller on the back side.

Of course you can mount ordinary window blinds the same way. Any kind of blind will be less maintenance than cleaning the Venetians.

Happy Trails. Paula