RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
On my computer screen that cork looks RED. Is that my screen or is it really that bright?

Must admit it could be pretty dramatic, and once the bed is back in, most of it will be covered so it could be a really effective bit of pizzazz.

Paula
Paula, the color is "red mahogany" but it isn't red in the sense that this guy is . It's more of a rich, deep cherry color. It is going to be gorgeous I think. The marbleing of the grain is awesome and the color ties in well with the reddish tint of the other "woodwork". I went with the 9"x12" tiles. I bought a little extra (~65sq ft) so if I have enough I'm going to go just past the head and shower.

Hey, did your "garage" have the light on the wall like mine has?
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, your floor looks really good; Do you glue it over the plywood and existing vinyl flooring. Are you changing the bed design or putting it back the same?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, your floor looks really good; Do you glue it over the plywood and existing vinyl flooring. Are you changing the bed design or putting it back the same?
Robert, it will be going over the plywood floor--after I level it/fill in cracks, screw holes etc with a cement based leveling compound that Globus Cork recommended. The bed will be going back in the same location, though I may tinker a bit with the front end that Paula mentioned so I could access the garage from the inside. We'll see about that.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't think the color rendition of the cork in the photos is quite right, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems kind of bright to me; are there other colors? I think the contrast with the vinyl makes the cork look more intense than it will look when installed. It does have a look of fine leather. Don't pay attention to me, I'm satisfied with the carpet.

I agree with Paula about that door next to the converter. It won't close when I'm sitting on the bed because the mattress binds it. I keep shoes in the bin behind the door and access is difficult especially if you have a back problem. However, if you take out the back, the bin might slide out of reach.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Paula, the color is "red mahogany" but it isn't red in the sense that this guy is . It's more of a rich, deep cherry color. It is going to be gorgeous I think. The marbleing of the grain is awesome and the color ties in well with the reddish tint of the other "woodwork". I went with the 9"x12" tiles. I bought a little extra (~65sq ft) so if I have enough I'm going to go just past the head and shower.

Hey, did your "garage" have the light on the wall like mine has?
YES, I do have a light in the garage.... Owned the trailer for over three years and never stuck my head in far enough to see it It isn't possible to see the light from the inside until you remove the plywood top of the bed stand.

WARNING: The urge will come over you to do the whole trailer in cork. A different lot may have a slightly different tinge to the color. If that happens, use the end of the bedroom/start of the hall as the natural divider, and use a metal strip there. Then the difference in tone won't show so easily. Same trick works if you run out of paint; just start the new can on a corner where the natural sunlight changes will trick the eye into seeing no difference in the color.

Looking good. I never did like that fake parquet, mine has the fake plank vinyl and it's less offensive IMHO. I think cork or bamboo is a much better choice than carpet, vinyl OR the click and lock fake wood.

Paula
Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #46
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I don't think the color rendition of the cork in the photos is quite right, but maybe I'm wrong. Seems kind of bright to me; are there other colors?...
interesting color, very brown-tobacco-ish from this view...

here gene take a look...(handing you the screen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
... I think cork or bamboo is a much better choice than carpet, vinyl OR the click and lock fake wood.Paula
the problem is GLUING down any solid flooring to the plywood subfloor...

-this sub floor MOVES, the seams change (and gap), the fasteners LOOSEN and the boards SWELL...

-and those are the GOOD things that happen.

i've seen flooring CRACK at the sub seams, buckle or lump near attached furnishings (bed frame edges) and so on...

-this also makes it MUCH harder to do repairs involving ANYTHING that penetrates the floor (wires, pipes, vents, poop holes)

then there is the moisture issue...

-with the 6-8 inches of 'sealed' edges and FOIL insulation under the floor,

the TOP side is the only surface that can evaporate water that WILL get into the wood.

the thin plain vinyl a/s uses isn't pretty or warm,

but the loose gapping edges, open irregular (sloppy) cuts around stuff and perimeter only staples, widely spaced...

at LEAST lets the subfloor breath some.

on old units CUSTOM redone with new subfloors and better edge sealing, GLUED flooring might not show issues for years and years...

but on 80s and newer units this approach can get ugly quick.

and have a pipe or water pump failure or OVER flowing crapper, will NOT go well...

the fasteners that GO through the subfloor into the frame GET WET,

they wick moisture from BELOW into the wood and steel...

these fasteners often have RUST RINGS around them or water in the threadings on NEWER units,

and THAT water also needs to evaporate, b4 the wood around them starts to ROT and LIFT...

the cork material above LOOKS really nice,

their process for prep and application seems first rate and this location (bedroom) is maybe the safest place...

and PROPS to the owner who just went right after it, identified an issue, and is making THIS unit their own.

i hope we get follow up 2 or 3 years from now.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
interesting color, very brown-tobacco-ish from this view...

here gene take a look...(handing you the screen)
2air, can you get it a little closer? There's about a 700 or 800 mile gap…

It kind of looks like old leather used as a wall covering in mansions many years ago. If you have enough, you could go down the hallway and stop there.

I agree with 2air, it's good you're making it your own. We've been doing that for quite a while now. Next you might get rid of that 400 lb. bedspread and find one that matches the floor or contrasts with it, or both.

Gene
Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I already ditched the bedspread. I'll for sure report wear and tear issues. I honestly don't forsee any huge issues, and if you overflow the pooper, you have much larger issues that a wet/soiled floor.

The color is bold but it is going to look very good, I promise . You can get pretty much any color you want--even bright yellow if you want.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Yikes! Gluing to the subfloor!

Looks really nice though. Hopefully you won't have any problems down the road while you own it.

I wish AS could eliminate the wood altogether and give us a space age composite floor with no fear of rot. I keep hearing "it's too expensive!"

cheers,

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Installation has begun

After prepping the floor and waiting the 3-4 days for the cork to acclimate, installation has finally begun. First I filled the mysterious hole in the floor, and caulked around the heater drain, then used the cement based leveling compound to level the floor and fill the seams.

This floor is pimp

Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Now that I see how it goes with the walls, it looks a lot better than the first very red pictures. Nice contrast. Are you tempted to go down the hall?

Gene
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have enough to go just past the shower and into the head. I think I'll do it.

My only concern at this point is the plywood subfloor seams. I leveled them pretty good, but if they stretch apart or anything like that more than a few milimeters, it may pull the tiles apart. I suppose I'll find out in a couple weeks.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
It looks fantastic. I would love to have my whole trailer done in it. Do you notice how warm it feels? Beautiful product. I like the way you staggered it in a brick pattern. Well done!

Lisa

https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
Full-time since July 31, 2017
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Composite floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post

I wish AS could eliminate the wood altogether and give us a space age composite floor with no fear of rot. I keep hearing "it's too expensive!"
How much more could it cost? $500? $1,000? In a $60,000 trailer this is peanuts compared to the peace of mind that comes from not fearing a rotting floor. A reduction in expansion properties would be a plus as well.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #55
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
How much more could it cost? $500? $1,000? In a $60,000 trailer this is peanuts compared to the peace of mind that comes from not fearing a rotting floor. A reduction in expansion properties would be a plus as well.
How about Kevlar (or Fiberglass) coated plywood? Not sure rodents wood like chewing thru that if left uncared for a long time.. I guess if you had a REALLY beefy tow vehicle you could use cement backer board -- that won't give a crap if it gets wet, but would probably add 2-3K lb's in weight to the trailer..

By the way.. I did run across a subflooring alternative topic here. Interesting read..
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #56
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
This is going off topic, but that doesn't usually bother me. A problem with the floors rotting is the trailer isn't sealed well enough from the start. Eventually water will get to it, but better initial construction would help. Rust on metal parts seems to happen faster than on autos, so better coatings there too would be good.

Gene
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #57
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Unfortunately, this is a problem with almost all trailing IMHO.. I've got a big boxy non-AS trailer that has excessive leaks in now due to the use of a poor (imho) sealing compound around doors/windows/seams.. Anyway, sorry for being OT -- I guess our work is never done. I'll be ripping old sealant off and replacing all over.. Ick!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Well, I decided to do the head/shower area. Past the point of no return, even removed the toilet (thank goodness it hasn't been properly "broken in" yet ). The latest photos----

Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #59
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Looking great! I especially like the larger photos!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Almost there

Finished laying the cork, had exactly one 9"x12" tile left, plus scrap. Put on the finish coat of sealer/finish this morning and the floor trim strip this afternoon. Tomorrow the bed, wardrobe and toilet will go back in and I'll be done. I am very pleased with how everything is coming together.