RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Plywood & MDF & Carpet

I was the one who was moaning about MDF. By coincidence I was doing my fall purge last week and got under the bed a LOT. I realize now that I misspoke.

YOU ARE RIGHT, the bed frame is mostly plywood!

I'll tell you one thing I've come to hate even more though - the sharp corners on the laminate. This week's "haul out everything, throw out excess" ordeal has left me battered and skinned. I need a tiny plane or some kind of attachment on my Dremel to take a bit off the edges.

Where I've found MDF is on the medicine cabinet door, the doors of the pantry and the closet. All of the lower cabinets, etc. I think the drawer fronts are also MDF.

I did notice one thing in the photos which I don't know if I have - and will be thrilled if I do... the light next to the garage door! Won't it be funny if it's been there all along and I just never saw it because of the bed's plywood and never having stuck my whole head through the garage door? That little "black hole" needs one. I'm going to check for it tonight.

Getting around the queen to side of the bed that faces the front wall always makes me "walk like an Egyptian" with my feet pointed sideways. I did do one thing that you might find controversial. I trimmed the plywood back about 3/4 of an inch on each side of the bed. I kept barking my shins against it, and just couldn't take it any more. Still have a queen, but the sides are a bit softer. Of course I'm single, so that extra inch and a half or support isn't an issue for me. I'm short enough that I actually could remove the bed and shorten it and make it a fore and aft bed, but that would screw up the resale and leave a garage door to nowhere.

Yes and what IS that mystery hole through the floor? I removed the plastic under the bed after hearing someone report getting mouldy smells under it. Guess that's where the moisture could come from.

CARPET - I have an 06, and I fulltime. I have to clean that little patch of carpet right in front of the hallway frequently. It is definitely a dirt/dust/ crush zone. It looks OK, but is wearing out faster than the rest of the carpet - so I heartily endorse your proactive change. I too second the idea of CORK: it is warm, it's easy to install, and it weighs less than Pergo. If they had to put in carpet I wish they'd chosen a Berber or indoor-outdoor with a tight loop, rather than the crappy "short shag" they use.

Good ideas all.

Paula
Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Update. I've made the decision to go with Globus Cork as they offer numerous colors in practically any size tile you want. Unfortunately it takes them about 2-3wks to make it because everything is made to order and it isn't exactly cheap. I'll need about 60 sq ft x $7 a sq ft + glue/supplies/etc They sent me a sample of 3 colors I was interested in,so once I get those, I'll make a decision and order the cork. Until then I'll prep the floor and get it ready. I think this will be well worth the wait.

If you have any ideas on what size tiles I should use, I'm all ears. I was thinking about 12"x12" tiles, but 9"x12" might look even better? Unless you get some huge tiles or special shaped tiles, the price per sq ft doesn't change so I'm pretty much open to anything as long as it looks classy. What do ya'll think?

Also, I'm going with the glue down tiles for two reasons, 1. I can't exactly float the floor and screw the bed/wardrobe down like it was, and 2. the floating cork is about 1/2" whereas the glue down is about 3/16" thick. I don't want to have to trim the wardrobe to fit and I think with the glue down, that will not be necessary.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd think smaller ones would look better on a small floor. I prefer square. Rectangles are fine for subway tile or certain designs, but with a small area, I'd stick with simple.

I'd want to butt full sized ones against the vinyl so I could keep going if I liked it. I think the joints on cork aren't very visible, but you'd not like to have a small piece next to the vinyl. Then figure out how thin a piece will be alongside the bed frame—very thin never looks very good. I think you want to go under the frame, but before doing that, check with Globus about expansion and tell them the dimensions.

I don't know much about cork—I think of stuff with a lot of holes in it. Is it sealed so it doesn't collect water when you drip on it after taking a shower? How is it cleaned? Is this the natural stuff grown on trees or do they make it out of something else?

Now you'll have to get a bedspread to match the cork.

I can't wait to see how this looks.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Gene, cork is a very "green" product. It comes from the bark of the Cork Oak tree. They strip the bark (somehow it doesn't kill the tree), and in 9 yrs they can come back and harvest it again. Cork flooring is apparently made from the waste of making corks for wine bottles, so its a recycled material to boot. Its generally sealed with a polyurethane finish. Its also naturally insect and water resistant due to a chemical found in the cork celular structure.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Cork Pics

Hi Airstream01,
Here are some pics of the little trailer we laid cork in. Sorry, I couldn't find any without the rug hiding the floor. The trailer is moulded fiberglass, so all the corners are rounded. We used a floating type, and yes it is much thicker than the glue-down variety. The glue-down tiles will be really nice. Because our trailer was small, rather than the bedroom in our house, we chose the finer "speckled" effect. In the bedroom of our house we used the larger "marbled" effect. I'm including the pics so that you can see that when it's laid, it looks very uniform and you don't see the seams at all, so it really doesn't matter if you choose to lay square or rectangular tiles. The floating floor we used was larger planks, but you really couldn't see the seams at the end. I love the look. It fit so nicely that it didn't need to be trimmed out. There was existing trim below the galley, so we slipped the cork beneath it. Where an edge was showing (at the entrance door and on the step below the bed) we used schluter strip (for ceramic tiles) to finish the edge.

Because cork is a natural product, it smells really nice. It does stand up to abuse too. On our first trip out, our fridge door clasp gave way, and all the contents fell. Beer and pop cans burst open...a mess all over the floor. It cleaned up lickety-split (the dogs helped) and showed no dents.

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cork1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	87220   Click image for larger version

Name:	cork2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	87221  

https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
Full-time since July 31, 2017
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Now you'll have to get a bedspread to match the cork.
After 3 years of rolling down the 40 pound (or something close to that] OEM bedspreads and never using them, we moved them out of our Safari entirely this year -- probably never to return. They look mahvelous and lay awesomely flat -- but you'll have to go to the ER in the morning to have your toes splinted to repair the dislocations. [this has been documented at AIR for at least 3-4 years. recent bedspreads cannot be slept under due to significant weight they place on one's toes.]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, glad we got rid of the OEM bedspread quickly (replaced with a Pendleton blanket) before our feet were reduced to stumps. Our bedspread felt like 400 lbs, not 40.

Airstream01, I guess they peal large strips off the tree so the tiles are one piece? I recall the trees grow in Portugtal and are a big export item for that country. My interest comes from a belief cork is easier on your feet and it would be a good option for a kitchen floor.

Gene
Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #28
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
just finished the same thing

removed bed from 08 25FB ...removed carpet...put prego hickory throughout the trailer......looks great as a contrast to the blond wood in the trailer.....moved the converter and all electrical stuff up and towards the right front of trailer...made a mechanical room where i put my inverter and then mounted my solar charge controller and automatic transfer switch on the outfacing side......

fabricated a 3/4 like horseshoe of the same width and height(, so now i have two great lounges fore and aft)as the rear seats around the dinette table (which I removed and replaced with continued seating where it was...) had new cusions made for the front, installed a table for my PC...came out with much more room and more comfortable sleeping than with the bed as it was originally......very happy with the results
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
removed bed from 08 25FB ...removed carpet...put prego hickory throughout the trailer......looks great as a contrast to the blond wood in the trailer.....moved the converter and all electrical stuff up and towards the right front of trailer...made a mechanical room where i put my inverter and then mounted my solar charge controller and automatic transfer switch on the outfacing side......

fabricated a 3/4 like horseshoe of the same width and height(, so now i have two great lounges fore and aft)as the rear seats around the dinette table (which I removed and replaced with continued seating where it was...) had new cusions made for the front, installed a table for my PC...came out with much more room and more comfortable sleeping than with the bed as it was originally......very happy with the results
Pics or ban. My bed is going back in
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I extended the bed so we wouldn't have our toes hanging off the end. I added a piece of 1/4" oak plywood to the luan plywood the mattress rests on to extend it about 4". I just bolted it to the luan with short screws and washers. I didn't want to glue it in case I had to remove it. Then I moved the mattress down to the end and my wife made a bolster to fill in the space at the head end. We have a mattress topper on top (much more comfortable then the OEM mattress which is made of steel or wood, or seems so) Now regular queen size fitted sheets fit better. This isn't necessary if you are altitude challenged, but it does save money on sheets since RV sheets must cost a lot more than standard ones (an assumption based on the fact that everything RV costs a lot).

Gene
Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I extended the bed so we wouldn't have our toes hanging off the end. I added a piece of 1/4" oak plywood to the luan plywood the mattress rests on to extend it about 4". I just bolted it to the luan with short screws and washers. I didn't want to glue it in case I had to remove it. Then I moved the mattress down to the end and my wife made a bolster to fill in the space at the head end. We have a mattress topper on top (much more comfortable then the OEM mattress which is made of steel or wood, or seems so) Now regular queen size fitted sheets fit better. This isn't necessary if you are altitude challenged, but it does save money on sheets since RV sheets must cost a lot more than standard ones (an assumption based on the fact that everything RV costs a lot).

Gene
I saw a neighbor's SOB where he did something neat. He wanted a computer desk to work from, but didn't have room, so he shortened his queen by using a drop down hinge on the foot end of the bed's platform. Cut the mattress into two pieces, with the bottom foot or so equal to the drop down, then sewed in a section of ticking fabric so that the two pieces of mattress are joined at the bottom. He used a brace that folds out like a door under the drop down piece to hold it up when sleeping.

When working at his "desk", he drops the end of the mattress and sits on the foot of the shortened bed. He's got the desk removable too. Two front legs that fold up like card table legs, and the back edge is put into some kind of plastic clamp on the wall.

Paula
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #32
Islander

pictures of "after" bed removed

last picture is of peabody in the rear of the coach ( door to the left- refer to the right) with the dining table removed ( permanently)

next two pictures are what the bedroom now looks like- the shower is on the left, toilet room on right- ( just like the back of the coach but with different colors and then the picture of where i moved the converted and mounted the transfer switch and solar charge controller...behind these is my mechanical room (with access to the outside curbside of the coach) where the battery ( 1 Large AGM 165 amp hour battery)and 2000 watt inverter reside...don't have any "before" pictures, but one knows what the bedroom of a safari 25FB looked like....because of the space considerations the camera can't capture the entire look of the bedroom....but possibly you can get the idea...i really like it...look closely in from iof the converter pictuire and you can see the pergo hickory floor that i put in the entire coach...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	87939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	87940  

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	87941  
Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I like it. But don't you fulltime? Where do you and the missus sleep? I love the color of the floor. The cork I ordered (which will hopefully be here early next week) is very similar to your hickory Pergo. What did you do to your countertops? I like that color as well. I look forward to seeing your coach at the Picacho Rally at New Years.

Brian
Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Looks nice. Now all you need are custom curtains. It would make a huge difference over the OEM. AZBambi Decors made ours for both panoramic windows and we are very pleased. They will be at the Picacho rally, by the way. We also plan to attend and would love a tour of your coach.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
last picture is of peabody in the rear of the coach ( door to the left- refer to the right) with the dining table removed ( permanently)
Do I recognize a blue roan English cocker? We can't keep our little queen off the couch either.

Nice job!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #36
Islander

hey thanks

i sleep in the rear of the coach with peabody(pictured) ( one of two blue roan english cockers) and Paula and Phoenix (the female cocker) sleep in the newly remodeled front... we like these comfy arrangements much better than all four of us tryin to cram into the makeshift short queen arrangement that was there in the beginning,, have not done anything to the counter tops but am trying to figure out how to put in a larger sink....custom curtains are most likely next...

looking forward to the arizona new years eve outing....

thanks to all and see you down the roadClick image for larger version

Name:	rose test 013.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	88028
Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Update: Globus Cork shipped my flooring today, woohoo! Scheduled delivery is 08 OCT. Hopefully will have it installed by early next week. I'll post photos of my progress along the way. Stay tuned.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The goods have arrived

Now time to get to work

Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
On my computer screen that cork looks RED. Is that my screen or is it really that bright?

Must admit it could be pretty dramatic, and once the bed is back in, most of it will be covered so it could be a really effective bit of pizzazz.

Looking forward to seeing the project continue.

I always want something under the top end of the bed when it's pouring rain and I don't want to go outside. I want more access to the storage under the head of the bed. When you put the bed back in, think about that for yourself too... then share any ideas please
I'm not crazy about door that folds down that's next to the inverter. Pain in the neck... and if the back of that were open? Of coursse weather is also an issue. The garage door isn't insulated (well "wasn't" when I got it) and in cold weather the cold penetrates below the bed.

Paula
Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
The floor looks gorgeous....like leather. It will certainly be exotic looking. It will suit the rest of your unit well. Looking forward to seeing the "during" and "after" pics.

Lisa

https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
Full-time since July 31, 2017
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote