Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Holly Springs , Mississippi
questions about 25' FB

Hello all,

Just ordered an '08 Safari 25' FB! Holy Cow!! And now I have a few questions.....

Has anyone else ordered a new 25' lately? How long did it really take to get it? (we've been told 6 weeks)

We didn't get the AV package because we don't want the TV (no, really, we don't....). With the standard stereo setup, can I hook up my IPod or do I have to get an aftermarket radio wired for MP3?

I've read a couple of threads about shakedown trips after getting the camper. Since this is our first new one (the current one is a '77 Overlander), I have no idea what to expect but I know not to expect perfection. Does anyone have a reasonably complete first-time-out checklist? I've read about shower and sink caulking, etc., but is that all there is to look for?

And on a completely different note (like C flat), does anyone know the actual length of a 1977 27' Overlander -- from tail to hitch tip?

I'm pretty excited, but why can't it be here, already????????

Thanks,
Pam

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
daveandpamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have an '05 25FB (Lucy) and absolutely love it. We have spent over 150 nights in Lucy and still love the floor plan. We recently made a trip to the Great Northwest and spent 42 consecutive nights in her. We're getting ready to go again.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
HI Pam,

When you take delivery of a new Airsteam, you should be provided with a check list of all or most of the items in your new trailer that were verified by your technician. This process is called the 'pre-delivery inspection' or PDI.

If it is done correctly, the tech should actually operate every item on that list to be certain that they all work to specification. When you are at the dealer to pick up your trailer, demand that the tech go over each item and show you that it is working. Don't let them rush you and if you have any questions about how something works, this will be the time to get it explained to you. BTW, don't pay for it until the PDI is done!!

Also, it's a good idea to spend a night in a near-by RV park to go thru everything again. This will allow you the opportunity of returning to the dealer the next day if something needs to be corrected.

Good luck with your new baby and let us know how you do when you get it.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hello Pam,
Congratulations on your new 08. I remember how excited we were when we took delivery of our new AS. There are a few AS dealerships that have camp sites on premises set aside for their customers to stay in their new trailer before they actually sign the paperwork. Ours did, with full hookups, and if really paid off. We had a short list of and questions and minor repair items for the technicians to look at the next morning (including some caulking). After it was taken care of, we wrote the check. If your dealership provides this service, you may want to take advantage of it.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for your good wishes!

Our dealership does not have hookups available, but they have a tech who makes his own vetting checklists based on things customers find wrong. I'm reasonably comfortable with that process (I think).

Did any of you order your campers, or did you buy them off the lot? If you ordered them, how long did it take to get them? We've been told 6 weeks but we're hoping for less....

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Hi Pam

We placed an order. We were told that we had to wait about 8 weeks - and they were right on with the estimate. Our dealer called and let us know throughout that time period when the unit went on the line for manufacture, etc., which was nice. I measured everything on the FB they had at the lot - so while we were waiting, I could plan how and where we would store everything. Being able to play with it (even if it was only in my head) helped the waiting, and waiting, and waiting..........

Robyn
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Pam,

Congratulations on your new A/S.

When we ordered our 2008 28' CCD it took about 6 weeks. We ordered April 16th, it went into actual production May 10th, and the dealer had it by May 29th.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
no critters

My husband and I are having this debate about storage. We can't park the camper at our house because we live on a steep hill and can't make the turn up from the main road with the overhanging rear on the camper. It lives at a friend's place across town, in a mostly gravel (some grass) spot about 20 ft. from the house.

Because there is no garage, we were concerned about mice. We originally looked at an AS that had dead mice under the bed matresses and our unit had freeze-dried mice that had attempted to make their home in the converter unit (electricity + sharp teeth = dead mice). To try to discourage mice from setting up camp when it's parked, every time we break down after camping, I put all soft furnishings that aren't going home for washing in those vacuum-sealed bags, which I then put in overhead compartments.

This has worked quite well, but it takes me an hour just to break down or set up.

SOOOOOO -- will this new unit also be susceptible to mice or will it be better sealed since it's new? Can I leave the pillows on the bed and not deal with critters or ziplock bags?

Pam

Old 08-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Six weeks would be pretty good, we waited over 8 for ours. Ordered it at the second week of October and picked it up the second week of December.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Just want you to be safe...

From signature line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandpamz
2005 Jeep Liberty CDI (which tows the..)
2008 Safari 25' FB
(which is our home away from our...)
1840 Greek Revival (on the banks of the Ohio in...)
Cincinnati

Really? Seems you might need a different tow vehicle.
Quote:
2005 JEEP LIBERTY SUV VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Wheelbase: 104.3 inches
Towing Capacity:
5000 pounds
Isn't the 25' Safari FB over 7,000 lbs?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You are right Shari, the 25' Safari GVWR is 7300lbs and a Liberty, regardless of engine, does not have the wheelbase to support safely a 25' modern Airstream, might not even be a good idea vintage either IMHO.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We bought our 25FB off the lot and went camping the same day.

In the last year the only problems we've had are minor delamination on the counters. We had that fixed under warranty and added a 2nd Fantastic fan. Two weeks ago the electric Jack power head died. It will be replaced under the warranty too.

We've spent about 60 nights in all conditions and its been across many miles of dirt roads in the desert.

It's held up very well considering the boondock places we drag it. The rougher the road the slower you go.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
yes, the tail can wag the dog

Yep, you are correct -- we tow our AS with my Liberty. The diesel makes all the difference. We've towed our 27' as far as Dearborn, MI in the dead of summer with no troubles as long as we stay under 55 mph. We have a stabilizer hitch which helps a lot. Generally, I don't have much problem except on very windy days or really long uphills. We've been lucky but we try to be careful. We try not to keep too much stuff on the camper and we tow with empty tanks.

Having said that, I won't go south down I-75 over Jellico into the Smoky Mtns (for instance) because I won't subject the car or camper to those hills.

We know we're over the weight limit with the Liberty but can't afford to buy a new camper and TV, so we're committing to staying within 100 miles of home until we get a new car. Perhaps a new Grand Cherokee Diesel or even a diesel Suburban (tho I love my Jeep), but no pickups for me, thank you. I read someone's remark about how we Airstreamers will talk about buying new TVs because we'd NEVER talk about giving up our campers! Pretty true.....

Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We recently ordered a 27FB and were told about 8 weeks. Agony until then!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
daveandpamz...

read your post about towing with jeep liberty diesel, I test drove one about a year ago, really liked it and seemed economical to drive. Drove it all over that day and fuel gauge never moved. Howvever...I did not buy it.
Checked on the new grand cherokee diesel with the mercedes v6 diesel over the phone. The dealer was asking about $47,000 with all the bells and whistles, after that note I didn't bother to go look at it. So...I currently keep towing my 25' FB with my 96 Tahoe. Anyway...the real reason I am writing I don't know if you thought of this, but I dropped off over 100 lbs of tongue wt on my rig by going to one battery with solar panel and went from 30 lbs gas bottles to 20 lbs. Now...I am considering buying a fifth aluminum wheel for the spare in leu of the heavy steel wheel, plus..now if you have to change a tire you don't have to change it back after the tires repaired or if you want to rotate tires. Plus.. you lose more weight, my 2 cents to help your Liberty a little.
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
25FB shakedown

We've had our 2006 25FB for a little over a year now. Somethings to look for:

Fit and finish on the windows
UV damage to the top vent covers (Airstream tech says the problem has been fixed, but it won't hurt to check)
secure fasteners on the lift gear under the queen bed.

All in all, the delivery quality on this was WAY better than we experienced with our old 1999 23C.

We love ours and won't part with it anytime soon!

Jim
WBCCI #5228
2006 25' Safari FB
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think a vetting process that fixes the things that the customer has found are wrong, is back-a**wards.

Good luck with your investment.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Size Matters!

Hi daveandpamz

We received our 25'FB in the 6 week window as promised. Quality great, some small things that were quickly fixed. Just back from a month long trip from San Diego to MN and we really Love it!

With regard to TV, we started out towing with my Jeep Grand Cherokee, Hemi(my favorite car ever) and it was not good. Plenty of power, not enough weight/wheelbase. We traded it in on Dodge 2500 deisel and now we can go wherever we want~even over the Grand Teton pass! Feels like a real vacation when you're not worried about grades, wind gusts, trucks passing, etc. (Not to mention the size of the "trunk")

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your FB!

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #19
_

. , .
congrats dave and pam on the new unit...

6 weeks this time of year is about right.

takes about 10 days to build one and then some days for delivery to the dealer and dealer prep.

IF you contact a/s support at the factory (by email) and get a vin number that will help you with tracking...

the factory can give you the approximate "start date" which will tie closely 2 the completion/delivery date.

food and openings attract mice. so plug ALL the underside gaps with aluminum screen or foil and minimize food sources.

i think covering or moving cushions is a wasted effort. that isn't why the mice climb in...

please reconsider your choice of tow vehicle.

it's a great car and wonderful engine, but NOT safe with your new trailer.

yes cost is a big issue but your collision insurance is essentially worthless if you tow over limits like this.

you might as well be traveling uninsured...

LOTS of used vehicles can work well. 10 year old suvs or trucks or vans are well under 10k$ and if used JUST for towing cam last & will be much much safer.

traveling with water IN the fresh tank IMPROVES a/s dynamics and who doesn't like a like water...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
We've test driven the new Grand Cherokee diesel, maybe we can get one off lease in a year or two. I can't justify a daily driver that gets 10mpg for the sake of <10 camping trips per year, not to mention my parking space at school is REALLY tight (it's a logistical problem) so big trucks are not an option for daily use. If we find the right deal, we might be able to get an old diesel Suburban to keep just as a TV. We share everyone's concern about stability.

We decided to get a new camper now because we'd reached diminishing returns with our '77. Had we bought a new TV now, we wouldn't have been able to buy a new camper for 2-3 years. We made the judgement call that camping with our son while he's still young enough to care (he's almost 12) is the priority.

We'll look into the solar panels and smaller LP tanks ('cause we just don't use that much LP) -- thanks for the suggestion. And I'll order a bunch of Valtrex (or whatever it is) so it's here when the camper arrives.

Buying a new camper seems so extravagant; so much money for something that's purely for recreation. But I'm really looking forward to it!

Pam