Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
y , Sask
Purchase advise 2008 25FB SE

Hi, we are looking at purchasing a 2008 25FB SE that was just put on consignment at a local RV (non airstream) dealer. The "very firm" asking price is $30,000 usd. It is a one owner, new A/C last year and that is all we know. Since it is at a RV dealer who is taking there cut I am wanting to make sure that the trailer is 100% fit for service. Besides new tires and batteries what should we be checking for and what should we be getting the dealer to service? We are going to make the deal this Saturday hopefully.
Bamalam999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Purchase advise 2008 25FB SE

Ok - super important with that year - interior plywood floor rot in the rear is problematic with that year and size. In many cases Airstream did not correctly seal up the exterior lower belt line trim that surrounds the trailer and water would ingress at the rear bumper, saturating the plywood subfloor under the vinyl. The wood subfloor does not breath either because it is sandwiched from below with a silver insulation that traps moisture.

Nothing is visible from the exterior or interior to the naked eye. The only way to tell if there is damage is to pull back the vinyl at the rear of the coach or use a high quality moisture/humidity detector.

Ask me how I know. $6k to repair years of water damage in my 2008 (I am the original owner). All of the interior in the rear of the trailer needs to be pulled out and the subfloor needed to be replaced.

Just one of those things to be mindful for.

From a pricing perspective $30k seems high. But I negotiate for a living so my expectations on final sale price are a little skewed

I would also have them put a complete set of new brakes on... backing plates, drums, bearings and grease seals. I just did mine as basic long term maintenance, it was time. $600 in parts the dealer won't blink at that request to make a deal.

Good luck. Great trailer and size.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Oh - found the thread with details on the water ingress issue, including pictures of my trailer...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ge-152464.html
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Wulfratt gave you some sound advise...and I agree the price may be on the high side. That said used 25' Airstreams are one of the more popular and price will reflect that.

Just for comparison here is a 2008 Airstream 31' Classic Limited for $34,800 See description from add below.

2008 Airstream 31 Classic Limited in Excellent Condition. Equipped with Dual axles, Trailer brake system, Trailer wiring, Power tongue jack,
Large Zip Dee patio awning and window awnings, Rear trunk bumper, Storage compartments, Stone guards, Front Propane tank box, Cable/phone hook-ups,
Tinted windows, Exterior lighting. Living room area features: Large Ultra-Leather folding sleeper couch, Booth dinette, Samsung flat screen LED TV (new 2013),
premium sound system with DVD/CD and AUX jack (works perfect with iPod or iPhone), Overhead Hickory cabinets, Reading lights and more.
For more photos and details call/sms
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
y , Sask
Thanks for the replies wulfraat and cabinetmaker. I will do what i can to check with the floor rot issue. Is it possible to pull up the lino under the dinette to inspect without doing to much damage?
I am hoping that since this trailer is from the canadian prairies which is generally pretty dry that it may not be an issue yet. Most trailers from this area are used a couple of weeks a year then hopefully stored in doors if it is an airstream. Others though are owned by snowbirds who spend six months a year or more in florida or some other warmer destination.

I am having trouble with the pricing. Everything i see advertised on airstream classifieds is way higher, and i can't seem to find much advertised elsewhere. $30,000 is alot for a 10 year old trailer and i dont want to take a bath on it when/if i go to sell it.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I agree with you that $30k is high. Dealer probably paid $15k to max $20k if it was a trade.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Like lawn mowers, the best time to buy is in the fall, and sell in the spring. Just doing a quick price check, your trailer is priced fair. I think that the new ones are so high, that the demand for used is up. Make sure everything works. If the dealer knows your serious it should be no problem to test all appliances, facets, heaters, awnings, lights...etc etc. As stated above, the rear bumper area is where the leak is. Congratulations, and welcome to the forum Bamalam999
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamalam999 View Post
Thanks for the replies wulfraat and cabinetmaker. I will do what i can to check with the floor rot issue. Is it possible to pull up the lino under the dinette to inspect without doing to much damage?
I am hoping that since this trailer is from the canadian prairies which is generally pretty dry that it may not be an issue yet. Most trailers from this area are used a couple of weeks a year then hopefully stored in doors if it is an airstream. Others though are owned by snowbirds who spend six months a year or more in florida or some other warmer destination.

I am having trouble with the pricing. Everything i see advertised on airstream classifieds is way higher, and i can't seem to find much advertised elsewhere. $30,000 is alot for a 10 year old trailer and i dont want to take a bath on it when/if i go to sell it.
Buy a moisture meter from Home Depot to check the rear floor: http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-T...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

It will be well worth the money.

I also spent several thousand $ replacing a floor that a less then honest previous owner went to great lengths to cover up.

For another point of view on the price - I do not disagree with the comments that the price is high, BUT the 25FB trailers rarely come up for sale. They are a very popular floor plan and someone will probably buy it at that price if it has been taken care of. Whether the price is reasonable really depends on the condition of the trailer, and when and if you think another 25FB will come up for sale in equal condition at a lower price.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
y , Sask
Here are some comparable that I found. I am not interested in any of these as they are all to far to travel and I wont buy site unseen. But I would like opinions as they all make the $30,000 look reasonable.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvs/6054289933.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Airstre...25.m3641.l6368

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Fol...i-28-121045861

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...TURE-121163792

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Tos...LOUD-121389729

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/A-T...22FB-120989774

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-california-2/
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
y , Sask
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
Buy a moisture meter from Home Depot to check the rear floor:
"when and if you think another 25FB will come up for sale in equal condition at a lower price."
I actually have a moisture meter but never trusted its accuracy. I will give it a shot though and worse case it may lead me to more investigation.

The newer (under 20yrs) almost never come up within 600 miles of here and if they do they are usually 31' or larger. We live in a part of the country where everyone has a 35' or larger fifth wheel in their driveway so the smaller trailers are rare and airstreams almost non existent.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Ok - super important with that year - interior plywood floor rot in the rear is problematic with that year and size. In many cases Airstream did not correctly seal up the exterior lower belt line trim that surrounds the trailer and water would ingress at the rear bumper, saturating the plywood subfloor under the vinyl. The wood subfloor does not breath either because it is sandwiched from below with a silver insulation that traps moisture.

Nothing is visible from the exterior or interior to the naked eye. The only way to tell if there is damage is to pull back the vinyl at the rear of the coach or use a high quality moisture/humidity detector.

Ask me how I know. $6k to repair years of water damage in my 2008 (I am the original owner). All of the interior in the rear of the trailer needs to be pulled out and the subfloor needed to be replaced.

Just one of those things to be mindful for.

From a pricing perspective $30k seems high. But I negotiate for a living so my expectations on final sale price are a little skewed

I would also have them put a complete set of new brakes on... backing plates, drums, bearings and grease seals. I just did mine as basic long term maintenance, it was time. $600 in parts the dealer won't blink at that request to make a deal.

Good luck. Great trailer and size.
Wulfraat... tell me what to watch out for with a 2011 25' FC.
Thanks!!
carlfloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
The newer (under 20yrs) almost never come up within 600 miles of here and if they do they are usually 31' or larger. We live in a part of the country where everyone has a 35' or larger fifth wheel in their driveway so the smaller trailers are rare and airstreams almost non existent.
I had the same experience when looking for mine. I really wanted a 25FB and bought the first one I saw for sale, because it was the only I had seen come up for sale within a reasonable drive, in a couple of months of looking. Good luck with your inspection.
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfloto View Post
Wulfraat... tell me what to watch out for with a 2011 25' FC.
Thanks!!

Don't have any specific advice for that year, my experience is with the 2008 model year

Although... if you check out the thread I reference above, there is discussion that the floor / water ingress issue has been seen on "pre 2012" units... so something to be mindful of.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
I actually have a moisture meter but never trusted its accuracy. I will give it a shot though and worse case it may lead me to more investigation.

The Sonin model 50211 has very sharp pointed test prongs. Push the prongs right into and through the lenolrum. Pin holes do not show. Small cheap meter. Works great
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote