Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Price question

We looking forward to finding our first AS. It's our first TT actually, so this is all very new. We have found an 08 Safari SE 23 FB that we are looking at this week, but don't know what a fair price is. It's described as in excellent condition. Any advice? Also, is there anything we should be looking for in particular with this model, good or bad?
Thanks!
Upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hi,

There are checklists for prepurchase inspection in various threads on the Forums (in fact, I think its a sticky). You should use such a checklist and treat this trailer just like you would any vintage unit 30-40 years old. Many owners have reported floor rot, leaks, and skin corrosion on fairly new coaches.

As for price of a used trailer, start by noting how much similar used trailers are bing sold for in your area (Craigslist, ebay, etc.). You could also start with the price of the trailer new, and then start subtracting for anything that is worn or damaged, but the "depreciation" is still a hard number to put your finger on.

Good Luck.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel
Hi,

There are checklists for prepurchase inspection in various threads on the Forums (in fact, I think its a sticky). You should use such a checklist and treat this trailer just like you would any vintage unit 30-40 years old. Many owners have reported floor rot, leaks, and skin corrosion on fairly new coaches.

As for price of a used trailer, start by noting how much similar used trailers are bing sold for in your area (Craigslist, ebay, etc.). You could also start with the price of the trailer new, and then start subtracting for anything that is worn or damaged, but the "depreciation" is still a hard number to put your finger on.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the advice, in both threads.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
From my classified watching, those trailers are dipping below $40k. Also consider that Colonial Airstream now has a 2009 23' Ocean Breeze (a zootier trailer than what you're looking at) for $42k.

My guess, assuming excellent condition: around $37k.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The "excellent condition" description means nothing, except perhaps the tires are not flat. Any used RV needs a thorough inspection by someone who knows what to look for. Also sellers like quoting mfgs suggested list when setting a price, although it actually cost less.

If you cannot do this, consider a "left-over" new model at a dealer. That particular model is often available at a dealership 1-2 years old and they will deal. Close to what you would pay for used but with a full warranty and less risk.

A note on model selection. Our first Airstream was great for shorter trips but the living space was cramped for longer term. We traded after two years. The 23FB has nice bed and bath space, decent kitchen, but living space barely exists.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth
From my classified watching, those trailers are dipping below $40k. Also consider that Colonial Airstream now has a 2009 23' Ocean Breeze (a zootier trailer than what you're looking at) for $42k.

My guess, assuming excellent condition: around $37k.

Tom
Thanks, that has been my sense . I saw the 23'OB on the Internet. There are a couple of 2011's around, but we can't get the price down quite far enough....
The trailer in question was lived in for 2 summers and trailered about 2000 miles, and has no warranty work done to it. Am I not being fair to assume that it seems like a trailer being lived in that much is probably not in excellent condition?
Thanks again
Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
The "excellent condition" description means nothing, except perhaps the tires are not flat. Any used RV needs a thorough inspection by someone who knows what to look for. Also sellers like quoting mfgs suggested list when setting a price, although it actually cost less.

If you cannot do this, consider a "left-over" new model at a dealer. That particular model is often available at a dealership 1-2 years old and they will deal. Close to what you would pay for used but with a full warranty and less risk.

A note on model selection. Our first Airstream was great for shorter trips but the living space was cramped for longer term. We traded after two years. The 23FB has nice bed and bath space, decent kitchen, but living space barely exists.

doug k
Thanks! The comment about needing someone who knows what to look for is something I've been thinking about for awhile. I am a contractor, and would notice rotting subfloors, but the rest of it I haven't a clue....
Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
AirTer

2009 22' Sport
Weimar , Texas
Hi! We bought a 2009 22' Sport in Jan. of 2012, barely used, from an individual. We had an inspection done for us at Camping World (not the best place, I agree) It needed to be totally re-caulked, which my husband did himself. Took about 3 months for him to complete it. Also, watch for skylight and other leaks and cracks. We replaced the skylight because of leaks. We paid around 28,000 for the 22 footer-has a side couch with the dinette which folds into a nice queen sized bed. We are in the Houston area. So many of the Airstreams we looked at on dealer lots were in pretty bad shape. Definitely get an inpection!
Good Luck!
AirTer
AirTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Have Someone Inspect It

Click on the tab that says "Portal"
Scroll down the right hand side of the page until you fin "Volunteer Inspector"
Type in your state.
Find a nearby Airstream owner/volunteer inspector to accompany you as the two of you use a checklist to determine the condition of every, single, component and system.
Only when you know what you must repair or replace will you know what the unit is worth.
I'm thinking mid $30s
But 23' is too short as others have mentioned.
Our first AS was a 23, then came the 27, then the 31, and now another 31.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic
Click on the tab that says "Portal"
Scroll down the right hand side of the page until you fin "Volunteer Inspector"
Type in your state.
Find a nearby Airstream owner/volunteer inspector to accompany you as the two of you use a checklist to determine the condition of every, single, component and system.
Only when you know what you must repair or replace will you know what the unit is worth.
I'm thinking mid $30s
But 23' is too short as others have mentioned.
Our first AS was a 23, then came the 27, then the 31, and now another 31.
Thanks.. There are no inspectors listed in Vt. There are a couple here in Maine, I'll check out NH
Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upupandaway View Post
The trailer in question was lived in for 2 summers and trailered about 2000 miles, and has no warranty work done to it. Am I not being fair to assume that it seems like a trailer being lived in that much is probably not in excellent condition?
It depends. The 2007 23' L-lounge that I bought in May was in excellent cosmetic condition, despite having been towed for about 3000 miles. (It did have a few bugs that needed to be worked out.) All depends how it was used and cared for.

I agree with Doug and the others - the 23FB has a great bathroom and bedroom, OK galley, but no inside lounging space. I've met some folks with that trailer who loved it. It wouldn't work for us. All in the eyes of the beholder, to each their own, etc.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote