Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
I am wondering now if my dealer will do a better job of cleaning up the AS. The included dealer prep, but at no charge, so I wonder if the no charge version includes cleaning. I hope so, because I would not want all those metal pieces in my yard. I would be afraid they could hurt my dogs paws.

I will not get mine for about another month, I will let you know.

It is funny to think you are looking forward to polishing the AS. Is it recommended that a new AS be polished or waxed? If so, my husband better get ready, as I think that will be HIS job! I doubt that he will be as happy about that job as you are though.

Diane
Diana

Why not be proactive with your dealer and mention that you have learned others have had their trailers arrive at home only to find the shavings. You are concerned about this and your dogs and want to ensure that this is not the case with yours.

I'm sure they'll appreciate knowing in advance what your expectations are. If that means there's a small surcharge it's probably well worth it for the piece of mind.

One persons idea of what cleanliness/dealer prep is certainly can be at the opposite end of the scale from another's = as my wife and I find even after 38 years together . Since she is noted by her friends and family for her cleanliness fetish you can guess who's on the other end of the scale in our family .

That said, though, by making sure you mention the specific concern with shavings or any sharp objects on the roof, and in other places in/on the trailer that others are noting, the dealership will know exactly what it is you are mostly concerned with. Don't be shy in telling them, you are paying a pretty fair price for your trailer and if some one is going to go through the motions of cleaning it anyway then they may as well take a bit more time and do it right the first time.

I'm sure you must be excited as heck in anticipation of getting it home. I know how I'd be feeling if I were waiting (not too patiently I'm afraid) for a brand new one to show up in my yard. Some time in the future, but not quite yet, and our little '51 is working just fine.

Barry
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Metal Shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Diana

Why not be proactive with your dealer and mention that you have learned others have had their trailers arrive at home only to find the shavings. You are concerned about this and your dogs and want to ensure that this is not the case with yours.

Barry
We must think alike, because that is exactly what I did. I called the Service Manager, and he assured me that they do a through detailing of the AS and that there would not be any metal shavings when they are finished. He said they are known for their excellent service.

Your AS is a little older than me, (but probably in better shape ) I still am in sticker shock and can't believe I am spending this much on a trailer, so it is very encouraging to know they last that long. I told my daughter that she, her husband and my grandbaby due in April , will get this trailer someday!

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #43
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
We must think alike, because that is exactly what I did. I called the Service Manager, and he assured me that they do a through detailing of the AS and that there would not be any metal shavings when they are finished. He said they are known for their excellent service.

Your AS is a little older than me, (but probably in better shape ) I still am in sticker shock and can't believe I am spending this much on a trailer, so it is very encouraging to know they last that long. I told my daughter that she, her husband and my grandbaby due in April , will get this trailer someday!

Diane
Hey B-Mom-first of all-congrats (on the AS and the GKidlins...)!

You did not buy a "trailer" you have acquired an AirStream! Big difference!

And yes, you will be able to pass it on tour Children, and Grandchildren some day!
They really are that well built...

Bill
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks Bill, yes indeed it is not merely a trailer, it is an AirStream, my Silver Lining!
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Metal shaving shake out of their hiding places as you travel on the first several trips. After a while it subsides.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Madisonville , Kentucky
Dear RIstream'n,

A great looking Airstream. We have the 25' FB Safari, and had a lot of problems with that front access panel leaking, (looks like you got a twin bed model) until we took it back to Jackson Center and it was fixed. Just FYI, when you first tow it in the rain, it'll be worth checking out. Ours was not sealing properly on the door side of the unit. Nothing damaged, had some wet carpet, but it all dried out and no further problems, but dealer couldn't seem to get it fixed.

I wish you great times in your Airstream. We certainly have had good ones, and hope to get to the Northeast someday. God Bless!
Barry
BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSmiley
Dear RIstream'n,

A great looking Airstream. We have the 25' FB Safari, and had a lot of problems with that front access panel leaking, (looks like you got a twin bed model) until we took it back to Jackson Center and it was fixed. Just FYI, when you first tow it in the rain, it'll be worth checking out. Ours was not sealing properly on the door side of the unit. Nothing damaged, had some wet carpet, but it all dried out and no further problems, but dealer couldn't seem to get it fixed.

I wish you great times in your Airstream. We certainly have had good ones, and hope to get to the Northeast someday. God Bless!
Barry
Thanks Barry. I know I have some things that will come up but I also know that they'll get taken care of one way or another. Do mean the front access panel that covers the front storage area under the front window? We have the queen bed not twins. You should get up to the northease when you can. There's some beautiful areas up here. Thanks for the kind wishes.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Excellent

Great looking Streamer....love that shelter need one here in WNY

You still got some time...have fun!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #49
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brian & Donna, when I washed ours yesterday I made a point to check that access panel thanks to Barry's posting. A few drops on the inside of the door, but no more. I imagine a long day in lots of rain might be a problem. Since we use it to store utility things: hose, stabilizer crank, levelers, etc., they won't be harmed by water, but I wish there wasn't carpet there. I'll have to remember to put some visqueen over it and tape it down.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Brian & Donna, when I washed ours yesterday I made a point to check that access panel thanks to Barry's posting. A few drops on the inside of the door, but no more. I imagine a long day in lots of rain might be a problem. Since we use it to store utility things: hose, stabilizer crank, levelers, etc., they won't be harmed by water, but I wish there wasn't carpet there. I'll have to remember to put some visqueen over it and tape it down.

Gene
Thanks Gene. I'll check it again after the next wash.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 04-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #51
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Congrats and nice setup!

Had the pleasure to meet Donna and Brian this past weekend and can confirm 2 things;
  • Nice Folks
  • Nice setup (AS/TV/Shelter)
Happy Streamin'-Congrats again-we will make plans to get togteher some time this season and enjoy our Silver Palaces!

Bill
Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Thanks alot Bill!! A get together is an absolute must. We'll have a blast!!
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD