RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #41
TahoeStream'n

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Can you measure it from the tail lights not the rear bumper, to the hitch right at the ball if you have time? Thanks much!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:10 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Airstream offered this option on the now discontinued 22' CCD International after John Irwin rebuilt his (starting here) to add this very feature. There probably would be an additional change order charge if you can get them to agree at all on a new unit order.
Having read that thread, does anyone know if Airstream will still happily modify your unit after purchase? Count me as another person who would love a sofa instead of a dinette in that spot. That bathroom is yummy!
Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Finally located photos of this trailer. Looks like the axels are as far back as possible and with the extra foot of length (longer than the Argosy 22) and the 500 lb hitch weight, it may be balanced well enough to tow OK. I'd still be cautious with short wheelbased TVs.
Could you clarify this concern for a newbie with a short-bed Chevy Silverado (119" WB) and a hunger to start the Airstream lifestyle?
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #44

2008 23' Safari SE
Gainesville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
Could you clarify this concern for a newbie with a short-bed Chevy Silverado (119" WB) and a hunger to start the Airstream lifestyle?

I own one and tow with a 01 Sequoia. My towing experience is three times since early April on interstate, two lane winding and four lane divided highways (approx. 400 miles total). I have not had an unsafe or out of control experience at any time.
pauleysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #45
TahoeStream'n

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
OK, so who here owns one of these babies? Please describe your experiences with those of us that may buy one. Talk about towing it, and with what you are towing it with. Talk about how well or bad the floor plan living really is? Would you buy it all over again? Are the holding tanks large enough for your application? How comfortable is the bed? Give us some real world information about your 23 FB. Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
23' And Lovin It!

I just picked up our new 2008 23' FB two weeks ago, driving 700 miles back home. Towing the 23' was great, TV 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a hemi and towing capacity of 7700# so this trailer fits in nicely. 2 turnpikes, hundreds of semi trucks and winds, rain, etc. It towed beautiful, not much different than the Bambi, little longer and heavier, but tracks just fine.

The interior floor plan is very comfortable. Reasons for upgrading so soon, the queen bed as mentioned above, and a full bathroom that you can use without flashing everyone in the trailer (believe me you can't sit on the toilet and close the door! This feature alone is quite appreciated! Not having to do a houdini to get the bed made is a blessing, and back saver, storage is a lift away with hydraulic arms to raise the bed and reveal all the great storage underneath the bed. Only complaint in bedroom is the curtains - why can't AS figure out that blackout lining could be useful for a good nights sleep! Two of the storage bins are accessible from the front of the bed, and a door opens on the side to reveal a plastic tray to pull out and still have ample room for additional items.

Two wardrobes, one long the other shirt-type with drawers. Storage under dinette is small, but with all the other storage in the kitchen, I barely noticed. A pull-out pantry! Double deep stainless sinks, counter space! Oven/stove and convection micro, large refrigerator with storage bin and extra shelves. Only complaint here is that the fan does not have a switch to turn off, however, after a couple of nights, got used to it, and when the ambient temperature cooled down, the fan did not come on as often.

The LCD TV tucks around the wall in the bedroom, you can extend it and pull it into the aisle, exposing it to the dinette. Only prob here is you can only view it from dinette from one side, since it faces the back of the trailer. Yes, it does have the wheel-well box, but am considering being able to convert to a u-shaped couch, somehow keeping the drop down table, which by the way drops down without having to move the cushions to get down! The upgraded entertainment system is behind a cupboard. Only complaint here is why does AS think a CD changer is wanted - hello IPOD. There is also a connection for IPOD and other devices on the front of the player. The surround sound is great and speakers are mounted on the ceiling, not under the cabinet.

The full bathroom - yes a full bathroom, but only complaint is that you have a window instead of medicine cabinet. There is a retractable mirror - lighted would have been nice. Definitely considering if AS could retrofit a medicine cabinet in there.

Fresh water tank is 30 gallons, other tanks are the same as the bambi. But at 8#/gallon, I really don't tow water. the FW tank is located in the middle towards the front.

Same crappy power jack, had nothing but trouble with the one on the bambi - it died in the dealers driveway! Thought moving gear from bambi to 23' would be a snap - just where did all this ## come from! Going back and forth had a great reward - a great queen bed, after a good stiff cocktail!

The deciding factor was definitely confirmed. Don't have the awning package as the bambi, but will be adding that. We are enjoying this unit so much and just can't wait to get on the road again. If you have any specific ?? just send them down the line! Go for it, you won't be disappointed. By the way, great time to buy -
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #47
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
New 23'FB Video, Just in case you did not see it yet.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Seems like Airstream is offering more and more FB units. I was shocked to see the base Safari SS discontinued or only offered in CCD/International versions.......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Seems like Airstream is offering more and more FB units. I was shocked to see the base Safari SS discontinued or only offered in CCD/International versions.......
Wow, that's kind of surprising. I know the corner beds are not all that popular, but I'd rather have the corner bed AND sofa AND dinette in a 25 foot package than have to give one of them up. And I still think the bench in the FB units are not nearly as comfortable as a sofa.

As to whether it's better to have the living area with the view at the rear (as in a FB unit) or the front (as in a more traditional unit) is still debatable to me.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #50
TahoeStream'n

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
NCBAMBIE, what a great write up. Thanks very much!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
subfan1, you are welcome.

One of the reasons we bought the original bambi was that the dinette was in front of the trailer and we would have the wrap windows for the light, I am an artist and that is important, as well as view. However, the limitations of the corner bed and the bathroom as I mentioned before, was the factor that made the 23' attractive. After seeing the floorplan and the pics from Colonial Airstreams website, I realized that the lighting and viewing was fine. after stepping into the unit it was flooded with light, I have large windows all around the trailer and sitting at the dinette I have a panoramic view just as in the bambi and 2 huge windows at the dinette.

Couldn't be more pleased with this arrangement. I have 5 more windows than the Bambi and more than enough viewing area and light. Since the first time I walked into it, I knew it was perfect.

ps. thought I would have to change my name to ncsafari, but I think we'll keep the ncbambi, it was the main reason we bought our first AS!
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
We bought one a couple of weeks ago. Wife and I were returning from a trip to Baltimore and stopped at Airstream of Arkansas to look. Saw the 2008 that Gene had on hand and decided to trade the Safari Sport 17 for it. I came back up to Searcy the following week to close the deal and spent the night in the lot, returning to Natchitoches the next day. So we haven't any trips to report on, but think we might head on over to Big Bend National Park in a week or so for a shake-down cruise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 23 FB 2008 for web.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	75946  
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Nice! Keep us posted on your travels and adventures.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Congrats

Congratulations on the new acquisition, JD, it's a really nice looking unit. Hopefully we'll be able to see it at a rally sometime this year.

Laird & Nancy
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
I put the hitch on a scale this afternoon and it came in at 705 lbs. I measured this by using the offset method on a calibrated scale. That number seems high, considering that the published specs call for the 2008 SE to weigh 600 and the 23 "FB" was quoted at 500# earlier in this thread.

I had two full bottles of propane, and of course the two batteries; I don't know if those weights should be included or not when the factory specs are quoted. The 3 holding tanks were empty.

Still getting ready for our trip to Big Bend National Park. Maybe in a week.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
OK, I couldn't figure out why the tongue weighed 705 lbs when 500 seems to be the quoted and expected value. I sent an email to airstream and believe it or not I got a fast reply...........500 is what it should be, propane and batteries included.

Sooooo, yesterday I tried it again, using the moment arm method like before. Used the same scale, the same 6 foot 4X4, the same little pieces of pipe, even did it at the same spot on my driveway. This time the weight came back at 498 lbs.

Since I know I never make mistakes I figure the first value of 705 had something to do with sunspots, voodoo, string theory, cosmic inflation, or other influences from a parallel universe.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #57

2007 23' Safari SE
Palmer , Massachusetts
This layout provides great bathing and great sleeping, but that is a minor part of the time we spend in the unit. Our Safari 23' LS has the couch at the front and bed in the rear with the bathroom. This allows us to have a comfortable area where we spend most of our time while in the unit: on the couch reading or watching tv.The bathroom is a little crowded in our layout, but we solved that by removing the bathroom door and putting a decorative curtain in its place.
edmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
"This layout provides great bathing and great sleeping"..........

Couldn't agree more, which is why we traded for this model. We spend almost zero time in the trailer, except to sleep, shower, and of course sometimes eat.

Going from Natchitoches to Fort Payne Alabama next week; this is a business trip but we might drive over and camp some, spending a night in Mississippi and maybe two or three in northeast Alabama.

First trip for our latest rescue-puppy, a husky/basenji mix. A month ago I had never even heard of a basenji, but apparently I now own a watered down version. Wouldn't mind hearing from other basenji people if any are on the thread.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #59

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We seriously considered going from our 25FB to the 23FB. We would really like to get two feet shorter, and drop 1000#.

There are two differences between the 25FB and the 23FB that we are not exited about. The main one is the single door refrigerator with the small freezer. We really like the big freezer in the 25FB. The other item is the bath all in one room. We have really come to appreciate the shower being separate from the commode and lavatory. This layout works great for us, and we would miss it.

We are not rushing to trade Lucy, but if we did, we would really consider the 23FB.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to wally_winter Send a message via Yahoo to wally_winter
23' Airstream in ABQ

I saw the same Airstream your talking about in ABQ, it's way over priced and the biggest thing I hate about that floor plan is the bathroom, the shower and the toilet are in the same location so you get the toilet and everything else wet when you shower. I've never understood why Airstream can make the 19' model and have a seperate shower but will make a combination with the bigger units, makes no sense and is actually kind of unsanitary.

Wally
wally_winter is offline   Reply With Quote