Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Leaks on Dinette side back window

We have a 2008 Safari 20 ft,which we purchased new. Have just noticed after a very wet week that I have a leak from the rear window in the dinette. Have been outside and cannot see anything obvious,but I have the awning package and I suspect a sealing problem. Anyone else out there had this problem? What would be the best sealer to use to reseal where the awning attaches?
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all, it hasn't rained here since March, so send some here.

There could be lots of places to look. Water can run pretty far once it gets into the outer skin or any penetration and comes out in strange places. Where do you see water tracks? There's usually enough dust inside that water will leave tracks in it, especially if you have the aluminum interior, and point to where it is coming out.

I assume you have a rear awning and I don't know anything about them. On our curb side awning, the supports for the awning arms are notorious leakers and I sealed underneath and around the edges when I put them back on. I used Acryl-R on the outside and something else underneath, but Acryl-R or Sikoflex 221 would work there too. You can get the can of Acryl-R with pump from Airstream or other suppliers. Google it.

I haven't taken an awning off, but if I were sure it was the awning, I'd remove it and put sealant under it (Sikoflex 221) and then seal around the outside with Acryl-R. You can use either around the window on the outside (if you have the right color of Sikoflex). Inside, there is a plate on the top side of the window in ours that has lots of goo behind it—usually referred to as Vulkem. The plate comes off and you scrape out the old stuff and then put sealant everywhere there might be a leak. The courtesy (marker) lights are also well know leakers—seal them too. Radio antenna, fan, skylight also are usual suspects.

You could direct a garden hose at each possible spot and mask off with some garbage bags or some visqueen other possible spots.

It is good to regularly go over the trailer with sealant. The stuff is messy no matter how careful you are and you need a solvent to wipe off the inevitable mess. Rubbing alcohol should work; other solvents may compromise the clear coat.

Stay away from silicone because some versions of silicone are enemies of aluminum and it can be hard to tell which is and which is not.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Thanks for the hints.First thing that I have to do is wait for a dry day.The tracks are under the edge about 5 in. And to the left of the rear edge of the window at a seam in the aluminum. Probably best course of action is to dry everything then reseal the window top,and at the seam where the awning joins the roof. I don't really want to take the awning off,but if I have to I will.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Just found out that Sikaflex is not available in B.C.. What's the next best option.
George
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Can it be shipped in Canada? There are plenty of sources in the US.

Gene
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Probably.I just wanted to get something local(quicker).
George
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Thanks for all your help Gene. I am now getting confused by all the info out there. First thing, When you say ,go over the trailer with sealants, do you mean take everything apart? The curbside awning support brackets are riveted on,and I don't think I want to remove them and re -rivet. If you mean,just go over the joints with a sealer,which would be the best to use. I can get Sikaflex 1A in grey here.
The leak is very small,in fact since I leveled out the trailer in my driveway,I can't see any more tracks (and it's still raining). I am thinking that the water may have come in as I was pulling the trailer,as there is a small flap of some plastic material at the front edge of the awning that looks like it has come loose. I think I want to dry out the area,clean it, then reseal it ,then spray some water to see if it seeps again?
George
Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
No, don't take out the rivets. I thought it might be screwed on, but I was wrong. On ours there are two arms that have supports and they are screwed on. They hold the awning up when it is out.

I used Acryl-R on the type of things you are talking about. The white Sikaflex works fine on the roof. I know I've used Sikaflex around some windows, but I can't remember it is was grey or white. Once I used black because it was all I had in Fairbanks, but it is under the rock guards and no one but and you know it is there.

Yeh, it is confusing when you have to absorb all this stuff at once, but after a while it will make sense. Sounds like you are using common sense.

Gene
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Thanks Gene. I just got a reply from the Sika group that they indeed do have the 221 available here in Kelowna, at a store I never would have thought of. I think that I will give that a try first in all the obvious places above the line of where the seepage is before I try the Acryl-R.
George
Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Ok. I have the Sikaflex 221,and I think I've narrowed it down to the join along the top of the roadside awning,or the sealant at the to of the windows. I did the top of the awning and as luck would have it, we had a torrential downpour. There was a minuscule trickle inside.Now, I either didn't get it at the top, or the filler at the top of the windows leaks.
Should I remove all the old, before putting on new Sikaflex 221?
George
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
You either missed something the first time, or the windows are also leaking. There is maybe a pinhole you didn't see or opened up after the Sikaflex dried. Check back on that first. Eventually you have to remove the old when the repeated sealing builds up too much; that's a judgment call. I've been adding so far and avoided removing any and starting over.

Gene
Old 07-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Thanks,Gene. I think I'll go over the seam at the top of the awning first.Weatherman is actually calling for some dry days with whatever that shiny thing in the sky is called.Thanks for all the encouraging answers.
George
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Leak Safari SE

Airstream now uses Adseal adhesive sealants at the factory. They are made in Canada and are a product of Adchem. Their website Adchem Adhesives - Advanced In Adhesive Manufacturing is one of the worst websites I've ever used. You can order the product from Airstream or you can likely find it a store in Canada.

My 2008 Safari SE 27FB had leaks around the panoramic window, the fantastic fans, and several running lights. I suggest you inspect and reseal any suspect seals.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sometimes the company uses things because they are cheaper and sometimes because they are better. We have to check it on our own to find out which is better; that's where the Forum helps.

Gene
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Gene,

My leaks were repaired at Jackson Center in March with Adseal.. So far so good. Not enough time yet to be truly confident in the new product.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Well,got up the courage to apply the Sikaflex 221,and I have to say,it is a very nice product to work with,and it was a perfect match with whatever Airstream used.Lets hope I did a better job.Tomorrow will tell if that was the only leak.will keep you posted.
George
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
Well,got up the courage to apply the Sikaflex 221,and I have to say,it is a very nice product to work with,and it was a perfect match with whatever Airstream used.Lets hope I did a better job.Tomorrow will tell if that was the only leak.will keep you posted.
George
It is not difficult to do a better job than the factory.

Gene
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thar she BLOWS

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...nit-91651.html

Post #2

You can also test for leaks by using air pressure inside the unit to create bubbles on the outside. There was a more recent thread than the one I cited where someone just used a large squirrel cage fan pointed in through his access door and created enough pressure inside the airstream that a spray down with soapy water revealed the leaking seam(s) and vent(s) and skylights...

Paula
Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
So far so good. I soaked down the whole trailer, and I don't see any tracks. Going camping for a week,and we will see for sure then. Of nothing else,It's built up my confidence to tackle these sorts of jobs.
George
Old 11-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Well, I have to continue the sad saga. No problems till the fall and torrential rains. It's not much of a leak, but the minute trickle is back under the rear dinette window of my 08 20 ft.Checked under the seat cushion, and removed the seat base to expose the floor, and no sign of dampness, but where is it coming from?
Read somewhere about possible leaks from the a/c unit base and the need to tighten down occasionally.Learned from A/S that they don't use a gasket,just lots of sealant. Pulled the cover down and did notice very slight drops of moisture. Wow, whoever cut the hole for the unit should learn what square is. That's the worst job of hole cutting I have ever seen.
Has anyone out there had any experience with leaks from this area? Is it possible for this area to cause the leak I am having at the lower edge of the rear dinette window? The A/C unit sits between the the same ribs as the rear of the window, so that was why my thought process went there after I re sealed the top of the window and the top of the street side awning. Any ideas?
George