Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Just pulled the trigger on an 08 Safari SE 23FB

I've been learning a lot from the forums and we just bought an 08 Safari SE 23FB. We live in Colorado and are looking forward to exploring the rocky mtns in our new airstream.

This is my first travel trailer so still figuring things out in terms of what is needed.

We have our brake controller (P3) and Reese Dual Cam WD hitch (which came with it) and my tow vehicle is a 2008 Toyota Tundra with tow package.

What other *must have* essentials are we missing for that first trip? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congrats on the new Baby! It sounds like you're ready to travel. I would suggest researching the different sewer drain systems. We have been using the Sewer Solution for 3 years now, and would never go back to a 'slinky'. There are a couple of threads here on the Forums on this issue.

Also, make sure you have a 50 amp to 30 amp electric adapter. We have been to several newer RV parks in the last year that had only a 50 amp outlet.

Get yourself some Lynx Levelers at Wal-Mart. We like them much better than boards for side to side leveling of the trailer.

A cordless drill with a 3/4" socket is a great help for lowering and raising the stabilizers.

Consider using brass garden hose quick connects for hooking up your water supply. They work great, especially when hooking up in the dark.

Have safe travels and many great Airstream adventures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
One other thing that I just thought of. If you plan to use cable television hook ups at campgrounds, try some of the 'push on' connector cable ends that you can get at Radio Shack.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks everyone

Thanks - that is very helpful.

I did read about the sewer solution and it sounds like a good add-on.

Any ideas on how to get a good basic overview of trailer operation such as tank filling/emptying and hooking up electrics and basics on towing/hitch setup? We bought our trailer used from someone remote and probably need a newbie training course. Is there such a thing available?

Sandy
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I would take a trip around the state, planning to stop early at popular campgrounds. If you stop before the dinner hour, you will have plenty of time to figure everything out. Same with leaving late after breakfast.
People in campgrounds are universally helpful and the larger campgrounds have shops so you can purchase a plug or accessory you may have forgotten.
None of this is rocket science so you will catch on quickly.
Airstream basics are in the owners' manuals.
Accessories I recomend are a pad to kneel on when you are hooking up, a big level on the front of your trailer so you can see at a glance if you are side to side leveled and a little level to carry in your tow vehicle so you can put it on the frame and see if you are up and down leveled.
Our tow vehicle has extension mirrors, if yours doesn't, you need an after market setup.
We live in Grand Lake, Colorado and one of the things we most enjoy about our Airstream is camping on public land off the beaten path.
If that is your passion, you might consider a portable generator and a solar charger setup. The water tank in our Airstream is small so we carry extra water. We are just as comfortable without hookups as we are in a campground.
Congratulations on your purchase. I know you will enjoy your Airstream.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
...also new owner

Good points Brian. We pick our AS up next wk. and have found this forum invaluable. Cannot wait to meet other streamers and pick up where I left off living aboard a sailboat -- many similarities.
Cal
mamu2cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
Talking newbie to newbie

Hi Sandy,

We will be picking up our 06 Safari SE 25F on ** April Fools Day**
That's this week so I'll let you know what we learn on our first outing in IA.

Our first trip will be to CO. where we have accepted a job at Brainard Lake Recreation Area, Pawnee Campground. We are so Excited. Mind you we reside at alt 600 here in Chicago. Weather permitting we will start the first week in June.

My question is does anyone travel with potted plants? herbs? too messy? I am already reaping greens and herbs here and just know I'll miss these fresh friends when we're on the rock.

Let me put it out to the Universe of AS'ers. I'd gladly weed any local gardens.

And we are looking to have a solar panel installed.

Happy Earth Day & Travels, Mars
Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Hi Mars!

You are going to like the 25FB floor plan. We have an '05 25FB named Lucy. In the past 3 1/2 years, we have towed Lucy over 50,000 miles and have camped in her almost 600 nights. The 25FB floor plan has worked very well for us, and if we were ever to replace Lucy, It would be with another 25FB.

The potted plant thing could get a little sloppy if they rode in the Airstream. If you gotta have them, they would probably ride better in the tow vehicle.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 03-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
Lightbulb Brian

Thanks, I love your mileage quotes. You must be full time.

Yes, I've already had success towing herbs in our 08 Dodge 2500 4x4, Diesel.
Can you tell I'm a green thumb wrapped in silver? We'll keep you posted on our growing progress as we transplant ourselves in this new passion.

Full Moon tomorrow, 29th, Mars
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Brainerd Lake in June?
Better bring frost resistant herbs and plants as you will likely get a freeze.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I would wait and buy plants locally, when you get near your destination. Not sure about all states you will pass through, but in some of the southwestern states, there are agricultural inspection stations that check for fresh fruits, vegetables and plants (they are worried about transferring plant diseases and pests). In recent years, they usually just wave you through. However, there is a possibility of having to put these items in the dumpster at the state line.

To make traveling easier, I'd just get what you want at the closest WalMart when you get into Colorado. Also, they'll probably have varieties that grow better in the local area.

We tent camped near Brainard Lake years ago; and it can freeze there in the summer. Beautiful area, though...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like a plant either in the Airstream or on the picnic table. I either carry it in the bedroom or bathroom wedged in between the toilet an cabinet in a box or trash can or confined area, even the sink cushioned with a towel. Or if small enough, I place a plant in the cup holder or a box in the front of the TV. Sometimes I wrap fresh picked wild flowers in wet paper towels and set them in my cup holder and they travel amazingly well. A fresh plant is always a nice way to perk up the surroundings. It seems the best money spent, and I consider it's longevity as cut flowers and replaceable as necessary. We have never had an issue state to state (borders?) but even if it is an issue, plants can be inexpensive, use a sleeve for your nicer pots and would only require a quick exchange.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I haven't been to Brainard Lake in decades, but it's gotta be 8,000-10,000'. There may be snow in the forest or coming out of the sky in June. Bring clothes for all seasons and get your propane tanks filled before you leave the plains. Be sure to check out the very funky town of Ward nearby.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
Thanks for all the angles on plants in tow. Brainard is 10,300 EL and we had frost in Aug. I will have a hot house of some sort. I packed my wool lined ski pants tonight.
I guess cold weather plants will be best. And I'll certainly add local variety.

Mars
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
We are starting out with our 25' Airstream. Tried hooking up the Reese hitch, which took a couple of days to figure out. We are getting closer. We need to get a different riser on our tundra, otherwise the hitch sits too low.

We also just tried to pull the trailer out of our drive and put it back, which took over an hour. When the neighbors started coming out of their house and providing advice, we decided we needed to find an online simulator somewhere first.

We did figure out that it is really easy to break out your tail light on a turn. We came close, but shouting and jumping up and down were effective methods of preventing the worst.

We have a lot to learn. We are planning a short trip in a week, so we are busily reading the forums and getting as much advice as possible.
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We have a lot to learn. We are planning a short trip in a week, so we are busily reading the forums and getting as much advice as possible.[/QUOTE]
We have had our A/S just shy of 2 years and we are still learning. And based on all that we have learned on this forum, we will continue to learn for many years to come. But so far we have had some greats trips and love our little love nest. whatever you do have fun.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal View Post

We did figure out that it is really easy to break out your tail light on a turn. We came close, but shouting and jumping up and down were effective methods of preventing the worst.
I have a dent in one of the rock guards from our Tundra taillight. The taillight lens proved stronger than the rock guard and didn't crack.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Madisonville , Kentucky
Something helpful for us is a check list. We put lots of stuff on it, from things to do when you leave home (turning off water at meter, installing timers on lights, lowering thermostat, etc) to departure from campsites like antenna down, roof vents down, stabilizers up, chocks stored, lights working, etc. One can make copies, or use the same one over again. Works for us.

Barry
BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for all the advice

Thanks everyone for the great advice. This is very helpful for a newbie!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamu2cal View Post
Hi Sandy,

My question is does anyone travel with potted plants? herbs? too messy?

And we are looking to have a solar panel installed.

Happy Earth Day & Travels, Mars
No problem. Been carrying the same plants for years. Sometimes they ride in the truck, other times in the Trailer. Doesn't make much difference.

We also have an 85 watt BP solar system. It's just enough to recharge the batteries on sunny days if the weather isn't too cold.