Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Emergency exit window

Hello, I am Uluwene's other half

We have a 20 foot, 2008 Safari SE and I have a question about the emergency exit window in the back of the trailer over the sink. It unlocks and is hinged at the top like a regular SE window, but has no way to prop it open for ventilation.

Has anyone found a device that allows you to safely prop it open without damaging the screen?
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I guess if you really wanted to, you could prop it open with a pair of wooden dowels propped against the frame of the window housing. The weight of the window should keep the dowels in place.
There are other things to do, but they get proggressively more elaborate, Rube Goldberg-esque.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I use a bit of bamboo I found in the garden to prop open the window. I store it laying on the sill, between the screen and glass. If I want to prop it up, I go outside and lift the pane from the seals and there's my prop, ready for...er, propping

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
It seems to me that all the factory hardware that holds any other window open can be added to your Emergency window.

None of the hardware is so strong (far from it) that you could not easily bust it out to escape.

I'd call Inland RV or your supplier of choice and add it myself or have your shop do it for you. In smaller trailers you really need every window possible for cross ventilation.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, I bet you can install the same hardware. The factory most likely can't do it cause it's an RVIA code issue, but the RVIA can't not let you do something to your own unit.....can they?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Playing devil's advocate -

Would modifying the window hardware be giving A/S any cause to deny any part of your warranty because you have made a non-approved modification?

The prop rod idea may be better, at least until the warranty runs out.
Also, you better be very confident that you, or anyone else staying there, can safely exit in an emergency. Would a modification allow that? Food for thought.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Uh... duh?

Both my 2005 and 2006 have normal hardware, but looking at my butt vs. the windows, I opted for buying extra fire extinguishers and putting them at the opposite end from the ones Airstream installed. I gotta go with spraying wildly and running for the door.

Here's a really chilling thought, the 25 FB SE has the escape window in the bedroom, on the curbside, a foot away from the foot of the bed, AND it's mounted over a small oval (non-operating) window. Picture yourself doing a swan dive from the bed through the window ... or else the splits trying to get one foot up to the window. And... drumroll please... It's a front bed... the escape window is about 4 feet from the propane tanks! Pure genius!

On a serious note - a mental fire drill can save your life. If you know what you've got to do to get out, you stand a much better chance. Serious note #2, make sure your children know exactly what to do in a fire. I know several volunteer firemen and they all tell heartbreaking stories of finding small children dead or dying. Children will almost always hide in a closet or crawl under a bed in a fire if they aren't TAUGHT what to do, but even a 3 or 4 year old can safely escape if they have been shown how and have practiced escaping. Recently a 7 year old girl in our area got herself and several siblings and cousins out of a fire by making them get down and crawl out - the safest way to stay below the smoke.

Paula Ford
Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
No, that modification could not void the warranty on the Airsteam overall, but it may be an issue if the modification was the root cause if the window failed, but only the window. It's like adding an aftermarket air dam to a car or different rims, or upgraded brakes. The overall warranty cannot be thrown out unless the mod was the cause of the failure and can be proven.

One of my cars is fairly modified and a few dealers have had no issue with it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Forgot to mention that the fire escape window in my 25 FB has the hold the window open like all the other windows factory installed.

Side note: In a fire if we can't get out the door we are going out the front window. It's big enough for my big rump to get out of.

Have a plan. Discuss it and then you know what to do when it hits the fan.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Lucky me, I have 3 escape windows. I also have the two rear "casket" doors as emergency exits.
I've been toying with some screen ideas so that as the weather warms up, as it has this week, I'll be able to stretch my season of no a/c at night for as long as possible.
As all my glass is fixed (other than the cantilever exit windows) on the sides of the coach except for the driver and passenger side sliders this is a thread I'll be watching for good ideas.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Evans , Georgia
So the only way out of an Airstream Classic 30' is to crawl a out the back window behind the bed?
jshotton is offline   Reply With Quote