Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
we're deducting our interest as a 2nd home......I'm thinking about trading our 2007 25' CCD SS for the 2008 27'FB CCD with twin beds.
I'm going to take a loss on the 25'er (neg trade in)....can I deduct this loss on my taxes?
Nope!
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #42
Haze Grey & Underway

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cedar Crest , New Mexico
Happily Joining the 27FB Fan Club

We can certainly understand the lust for a 2008 27FB Safari. We just made the deal on ours 2 days ago. Down sizing from a 35' 5th wheel that was wonderful but not really appropriate for all the places we go or want to go.

Our local dealership had one 27FB Safari SE with Twin Beds in the FB and Oatmeal interior. We know we're losing storage space downsizing, but this AS is so well laid out and will go so many more places. that we're willing to make the change.

One of the big selling points were the twin beds. We're used to a King at home so the RV queens have always meant a rough night for us. The twins are wider and longer than half of a queen, plus you get an extra wide walk way at the center of the rig where the height is the best. You also gain 2 more small wardrobes/armoires at the foot of the bed and extra storage room on the floor for bulky things.

We're also planning on using the dinette as a large wrap around sofa most of the time. I have an old heavyweight bedspread I'm going to cut down to cover it and the sofa so they can be easily removed for washing. We love our dog, but she can sure shed. Am looking forward to a much easier to clean and maintain RV.

You can see the rig at 2008 Airstream AIRSTREAM 27 FB SAFARI SE (TWIN) Travel Trailers at Holiday Travel Trailers The website hasn't been updated to show it sold yet.
hazegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
looks familiar!!

Congrats on your new Safari!! I love the pictures because it's exactly what we just ordered. The color and every option{except twin beds}are exactly the same so it's like getting a chance to see ours. You probably have it by now so I hope you're enjoying it!! Thanks again for letting my wife and I have a quick look into the not to distant future.
Brian
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question

For those of you trading '07's in on '08's, what kind of trade-in value are you getting on your '07's? For example, if you bought a new '07 for $52K with an MSRP of $61K, what kind of trade-in allowance did you get against the $52K? (Just an example of numbers, btw).

Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Call Patrick at Colonial and he will tell you.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #46
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
suggest you read my post:

2nd Outing breeds discontent.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
We just ordered a 2008 27FB International Ocean Breeze - and we can't wait. We traded in a 2005 34' Classic Limited w/Slide out - it was absolutely gorgeous. You're not really looking for logic here, right? I mean, this isn't like you're looking for some ROI or cost justification, right? Like I've said before, the first step is to admit you have a problem.
Congradulations on the new 27' I am considering the 28'. Was there any reason you opted for the 27' versus the 28'
Thanks
Allen
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Allen,

We had a 28' CCD and liked it alot, but prefer the 27' FB we have now for the following reasons;
  • The dinette with panoramic windows is in the rear of the trailer. Most of the places we camp, that's where the best view is. In the 28', the dinette is curb side which gives you a lovely view of the trailer next to you. With the door open, only one window can be opened. I was always leary of opening the other window just in case the wind caught the door when opening it.
  • The galley has considerably more counter space than the 28'. There is also more under-counter storage.
  • The pantry with or without the microwave option is great. There is no pantry in the 28'
  • With the 28' you can have a gas oven - or - a convection microwave. With the 27', you can have a gas oven AND a microwave (although not very powerful - 550 watts).

If you go with the queen bed, there is more space to walk around the bed than the 28'.
  • The base of the bed lifts with gas struts like the hood of a car. Our 28' didn't do that.
  • The closet is much larger.
  • The shower isn't larger but has more standing space due to the layout.
  • There is more storage available in the bathroom.

We opted for the panoramic front windows and the bedroom 'feels' more spacious without the shirt closets on each side.
  • Inside storage seems to be better thought out.
  • Overall, it just feels more open and spacious than the 28'.
  • Even though it's called a 27', it IS 1" longer than the 28'.
There are only a few things I don't like as well as the 28'.

One is the only outside storage is behind the propane tanks. It limits what you can fit in there.

With the 28' the outside storage is in the rear and has no obstruction.

The other is the choice Airstream made with the toilet.

Our 28' had a Sealand china toilet where the 27' has a Thetford plastic toilet and the sprayer is not a included. It still works, however .

Whichever layout you choose, I'd HIGHLY recommend upgrading to the 15K btu air conditioner with heat pump.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Allen,

We had a 28' CCD and liked it alot, but prefer the 27' FB we have now for the following reasons;
  • The dinette with panoramic windows is in the rear of the trailer. Most of the places we camp, that's where the best view is. In the 28', the dinette is curb side which gives you a lovely view of the trailer next to you. With the door open, only one window can be opened. I was always leary of opening the other window just in case the wind caught the door when opening it.
  • The galley has considerably more counter space than the 28'. There is also more under-counter storage.
  • The pantry with or without the microwave option is great. There is no pantry in the 28'
  • With the 28' you can have a gas oven - or - a convection microwave. With the 27', you can have a gas oven AND a microwave (although not very powerful - 550 watts).

If you go with the queen bed, there is more space to walk around the bed than the 28'.
  • The base of the bed lifts with gas struts like the hood of a car. Our 28' didn't do that.

We opted for the panoramic front windows and the bedroom 'feels' more spacious without the shirt closets on each side.

One is the only outside storage is behind the propane tanks. It limits what you can fit in there.

Our 28' had a Sealand china toilet where the 27' has a Thetford plastic toilet and the sprayer is not a included. It still works, however .

Whichever layout you choose, I'd HIGHLY recommend upgrading to the 15K btu air conditioner with heat pump.
Dennis
Thanks. You have done a lot of home work that I did not do. You have given me a llot of new ideas and I will explore them. The main issue I have with my 25' is that it does not have an individual sofa and we are stuck sitting at the dinnette to watch tv. Other than that I really am not that enthralled about the 28'. Unfortunately we do not have a dealer nearby that has the 28 so I will have to travel a distance to find one. I also was limiting my choice due to my tow vehicle> didn't know there was no pantry or that the 27' is actually an inch longer.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
The main issue I have with my 25' is that it does not have an individual sofa and we are stuck sitting at the dinnette to watch tv.
Have you tried folding down your table and making it into a L-lounge configuration? Just pop the side gaucho back rest cushion under the rear window. It's very roomy and deep for lounging watching TV.
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4108.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	61085

Cosmotini that was a great comparison. I also was drawn to the 28' and often wondered how that layout would be. Your detailed decription was good information. The rear wrap and door was the deal breaker for us, nice views and lots of privacy.

Name:	27.gif
Views:	111
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	61086

Name:	28.gif
Views:	115
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	61087

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #51

Currently Looking...
Alexandria , Virginia
Totally theoretical here, folks-we are AS-less at this point, but thinking about the future.

What about the differences between the Safari 27FB & the IntlCCD/Ocean Breeze? Is there something more than just the woodgrain panels, overhead translucent doors vs. solid, & 10K? I love the diner-like aluminum interior, but at the cost of changing out upholstery (oatmeal is neutral, but w/ accents, would be fine), you could add some significant advantages to your towing package-is there something different, that I'm not seeing?
thistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Yes we did place the table down and use the cushions and you are correct it is very comfortable. It just seems like a lot of effort to sit at a sofa. I also like to leave my laptop computer on the table. I must admit I am rather lazy. I am going to look at both models. Too bad Airstream doesn't have a dealer with all models.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
We have a 27FB Safari SE. We prefer to leave the dinette table in place as we like to have the laptop on the table. This means watching television is done by sitting sideways at the dinette. I made back rest cushions and it is very comfy (also gives me a place to rest a cocktail on the table!). We chose to pay the upcharge to have the couch and dinette cushions covered in the "pleather" they use in the Classics. It should be much easier to maintain. It is "plain" but looks great with the extra backrest pillows on it.

We have really enjoyed the layout of the 27FB. I agree that the view out the rear panoramic is great! We also have the Queen bed with the forward panoramic. So far we have not regretted the lack of the shirt closets next to the bed. I like having the large "nightstands" on each side of the bed.

Good luck on your search...

Cheers, Marilou
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Allen,

After reviewing your analysis and talking with several dealers I have decided the 27'SE FB would best suit my needs. I was disappointed with the lack of the wrap around windows in the 28. I was told that AS may be limiting the number of models and some changes will be made to the 2009 models. So I will wait a while and look at the 2009 27' and determine the price differential between it and my 2007 25' SE FB which is till like new. I am so happy that I read your post and your rational for selecting the 27' .