Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Kevin,

What customization did you have done? Enquiring minds want to know!
Not counting the normal factory options, we had the following items custom:
  • 30K BTU Furnace in place of standard 25 BTU (Why is 25K BTU standard in the 27FB when the 28' has a 30K I don't know - someone please tell me?)
  • 3 Halogen lights (evenly spaced) in bathroom in place of the white plastic incadecent ones
  • 2 "scare lights" (like current Safari's have) installed, one on roadside, one on curb side.
  • Delete both folding doors and tracks (to keep a nice clean look on the ceiling)
  • Day / Night shades and pleated drapes from Classic 27
After they received the unit, I asked David Tidmore at Roger Williams to install the following:
  • Hensley Hitch (Painted to match Frame)& Tongue TwisterDisk Brakes
  • Centramatics wheel balancers
  • Docking and reverse lights
  • LED Belly lights
  • Autoformer Voltage Booster
  • Tri-metric voltage / Amp monitor
  • Generator start switches / wiring / data-bus (allows for the Dometic AC unit to start the Generator as needed to start the compressor)
  • Silent X fans in Fridge vent (To push hot air out the top)
  • Stainless Steel Doors on Furnace and Water Heater doors
  • Stainless Steel Vent Exhaust
  • Replace Factory lead acid batteries with (2) Sears Die Hard Platinum Grp 34 AGM batteries.
  • Cam Locks on Exterior Fridge access door and Battery box cover.
  • Pressure Pro tire pressure monitors and Metal high pressure valve stems
  • Safe installed in Nightstand
  • Installed Level Master level
  • Installed EnKay Mud Flaps (on Hensley)
The work by David and Denver at Roger Williams was over a month, but a great job by them. I think I forgot one or two items on the list, but this is pretty complete...

As you can imagine, I am now BROKE!!

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Not counting the normal factory options, we had the following items custom:
  • 30K BTU Furnace in place of standard 25 BTU (Why is 25K BTU standard in the 27FB when the 28' has a 30K I don't know - someone please tell me?)
  • 3 Halogen lights (evenly spaced) in bathroom in place of the white plastic incadecent ones
  • 2 "scare lights" (like current Safari's have) installed, one on roadside, one on curb side.
  • Delete both folding doors and tracks (to keep a nice clean look on the ceiling)
  • Day / Night shades and pleated drapes from Classic 27
After they received the unit, I asked David Tidmore at Roger Williams to install the following:
  • Hensley Hitch (Painted to match Frame)& Tongue TwisterDisk Brakes
  • Centramatics wheel balancers
  • Docking and reverse lights
  • LED Belly lights
  • Autoformer Voltage Booster
  • Tri-metric voltage / Amp monitor
  • Generator start switches / wiring / data-bus (allows for the Dometic AC unit to start the Generator as needed to start the compressor)
  • Silent X fans in Fridge vent (To push hot air out the top)
  • Stainless Steel Doors on Furnace and Water Heater doors
  • Stainless Steel Vent Exhaust
  • Replace Factory lead acid batteries with (2) Sears Die Hard Platinum Grp 34 AGM batteries.
  • Cam Locks on Exterior Fridge access door and Battery box cover.
  • Pressure Pro tire pressure monitors and Metal high pressure valve stems
  • Safe installed in Nightstand
  • Installed Level Master level
  • Installed EnKay Mud Flaps (on Hensley)
The work by David and Denver at Roger Williams was over a month, but a great job by them. I think I forgot one or two items on the list, but this is pretty complete...

As you can imagine, I am now BROKE!!

Kevin
Forgot the Disk Brakes - That was a major change done by David as well...
Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #23
_

. , .
nice job 'bandit!

that's a great list of personalized features.

enjoy camping and lets see some pictures...

how's the powerstroke holding up?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
That's quite a list!

Sounds REALLY nice. Did they have to modify the battery box?

I was wondering about the furnace myself. We probably used the furnace twice in our old trailer, but upgrading the A/C to 15K with a heat pump was a priority.

The stainless doors and vent are on my wish list.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
That's quite a list!

Sounds REALLY nice. Did they have to modify the battery box?

I was wondering about the furnace myself. We probably used the furnace twice in our old trailer, but upgrading the A/C to 15K with a heat pump was a priority.

The stainless doors and vent are on my wish list.
Nope, Group 34s fit just fine. I researched the Optimas, Lifelines, and 6V golf carts and decided that 12V batteries fit my needs. The Sears Die Hard AGMs had a higher Amp Hour rating than the optimas and lifelines, and had a better warranty. Figured if anything happened, Sears stores are always close by...no matter where I may be...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I added the stainless steel doors on the furnace and water heater as well as the stainless stove vent from David Tidmore to my 07 25' Classic. Your Airstream sounds great. Post some photo's. What are the led belly lights and silent X fans?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
Lusting Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepstream
My family is really happy with our 2001 Safari 25. It's getting time for me to change the tires (on years, not miles); but otherwise it has been perfect. So I really can't explain, other than latest-and-greatest-itis, why my wife and I spent hours yesterday lusting over the 2008 Safari 27FB. I tried thinking about some of the pros and cons of acting on such behavior:

Pros:
+ Shiny SE interior
+ Some needed extra space
+ Big booth dinette
+ Slick floorplan in 27FB
+ Full Queen Bed (not the 54" one on our 25)
+ New tires (well, new everything)

Cons:
- $30K trade (just guessing)

Thought this would be a good place for others to endorse or ridicule such behavior. It doesn't help that there is this tempting "Colonial Airstream" link a few inches above this message box! Link to object of lust: 2008 27FB

Other related questions include:

q1: Have any changes been made to the air conditioner since 2001 that would make it quieter? Like a "hush kit"? I want a silent lower-than-low fan speed setting. I'd pay for that.

q2: Has anyone with a booth dinette FB model found a creative way of emulating the "vibe" of the non-FB L-sofa? There is something nice about the way the 28 L-sofa wraps around. In general what are the other less obvious 27FB v. 28 trades?

q3: Are there other values (or costs) in such a trade that I'm missing? So far the only thing I've needed to replace on my 2001 is the battery (which I smartly upsized on group, BTW)

q4: We love our Hensley hitch on our 2001 Safari 25. I'm guessing that generally stays with the trailer. Any reason why a new Hensley woudn't work just as great with a new 2008 Safari 27FB? (unlikely)

Thanks in advance for the group's constructive opinions on this specific potential trade; and the A/S trade-in bug in general. -Shep
I JUST got back from our dealer and I saw it too!!! I like the extra storage and the bedroom set up and the BIG mattress. If only I could get Mr. Money Bags to agree...
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Re: "You Can't Take It With You..."

It's a trailer. Of course you can!

Beautiful looking trailer! I say go for it!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
We looked long and hard at every AS out there. My wife loved the cuteness and size of the Bambi but all things considered, the 27 FB is just about perfect. the 25 was just a bit lacking in middle storage and the queen walk-around bed is more comfortable than home. As for the back couch, we bought a BIG pillow for the back of the dinette when down and just store it on the bed when not in use. The under-bed storage has never been filled (and we do take long tripss). In other words: GO FOR IT!
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good luck getting 30k for a 2001 in trade. Most places offered us $25k for our 2004 Safari.

I like the 27' units. If I were a front bedroom type of guy that would be the unit for me since the 27' has the bed front to back and not sideways. Storage is somewhat unique with the 27' w/queen, but nothing I would consider a deal breaker....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Front and rear storage?

I haven't seen a 27' FB up close and personal. I like the floor plan a lot and have no issues at all upgrading every two years but how is the external storage setup? And from what I've read of the specs it is not really shorter or lighter then the 28'SE/LS.
Thanks,
KL
Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
hey Shep...did you get it???
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
I haven't seen a 27' FB up close and personal. I like the floor plan a lot and have no issues at all upgrading every two years but how is the external storage setup? And from what I've read of the specs it is not really shorter or lighter then the 28'SE/LS.
Thanks,
KL
The storage is there, only it is inside with my queen bed model. Do I miss that large outside door, yes, my ladder used to fit across the width, but then every thing was piled high and nearly had to be emptied to get things in and out. I'd rather have the floorplan and rear wrap window though. I actually found that a lot of what I was carrying has not been needed. The rear now under the dinette seats is empty for the exception of the Baby Q which did not fit through the external storage door. And there still is a lot of storage space I have not utilized front and back.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Keeptalk'nkeeptalk'nkeeptalk'n

DO I WANT YOU ,OH MY DO I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8372aa.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	44413   Click image for larger version

Name:	8372am.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	44414  

Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #35
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Wife and I are committed to upsizing.

She likes the 27 FB Safari SE
I like the 28 Safari SE (have only seen it on paper). None available nearby to look at eyeball to aluminum. Although Bob Caldwell in Ohio has one on the lot. We're thinking of making a rush trip there to see it.

Oh what to do? Oh what to do?
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #36
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
Bambi Bandit

As a new Airstream owner, I have to laugh - I loved your list of options but have no idea what most of them were and why you added them.

I think it would be very valuable for all of us newbies if you could explain the "what it is and why" behind your options - when you have a chance . . . THANKS!!!
FOILED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Trade Happy or Rich?

Hi, where were all you people three years ago when my wife and I were looking for slightly used late model trade ins? We finally had to buy a new trailer because no decent used ones were available. We picked what we wanted, paid for it, and never plan on changeing unless something really bad happens to our lovely 2005 Safari 25-B [Rear Queen] Not too big, not too small, not too fancy, no write offs, and no payments.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Stainless doors

[quote=Bambi_Bandit]Forgot the Disk Brakes - That was a major change done by David as well...[/quote

That's some list!!!
We were wondering who supplied the stainless door's. Our's only four years old but really do look kind of shabby. was thinking of painting but the stainless would be the hot set-up

P.S. Loved your 66 Photos....Bob
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #39
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepstream
Well this was an effective thread, for me anyhow: We traded up to the 2008 Safari 27FB! Colonial was terrific, they did everything right for us. They were all about the getting us what we wanted and making everything right. That was two weekend's ago. Last weekend took the A/S to a 3-day festival. I liked the comment "dude, you have the pimpinest ride here", even though that was not our intent. We had perhaps a dozen questions/issues, a few of which we are still through (I'll post them someday). We went with "kiwi" BTW. -Shep
Greetings Shep- You sure bought the right unit from the right folks. We were down visiting our friends at Colonial three weeks ago and met a wonferful person who was taking delivery on her very first ever camping trailer, a 28FB. They took such great care of her and spent most of the day helping her learn to tow and park and hook-up. I you are ever planning on buying a new AS Colonial is the place to buy! You should think of hooking up with us New England Units folks for a rally ot two. We have some really great ones coming up in NE!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
And the financing is deductible as mortgage interest if you itemize deductions -- same as a 2nd home since it has a galley & bathroom (cruising sailboats too).
we're deducting our interest as a 2nd home......I'm thinking about trading our 2007 25' CCD SS for the 2008 27'FB CCD with twin beds.
I'm going to take a loss on the 25'er (neg trade in)....can I deduct this loss on my taxes?
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote