Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
After reviewing the photos in Rich's blog, it appears that the wheel was loose for some time before separating. If the studs just suddenly broke, I don't believe that there would have been much or any damage to the wheel. If one lug nut was loose enough to fall off, the others were probably loose also.

The note about relieving the tension on a torque wrench is right on. All the manufacturers from Snap-on to Harbour Freight say the same thing.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
The note about relieving the tension on a torque wrench is right on. All the manufacturers from Snap-on to Harbour Freight say the same thing.
The only one I have not seen this note on is the digital torque wrench I have. It will save settings from previous uses, and not have to be turned down, but they are hard on batteries.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Torque

I just had a 2006 34' 3 axle come in for work, I checked the torque on all six wheels, between 90 and 100 all the way around. This unit came from Ohio to Missouri and to SoCal, I did ask the driver if he checked the lug nuts during or at the start of the transport, his answer was no, he's just a transporter. This unit has Kodiak disc and Aluminum rims. This just a bit of documentation I thought some might find informational.

Zoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello everyone,
I looked at the rotor in the blog and in the first rotor photo of the rear disc
being installed ,the pad friction part of the disc certainly looks dark ,and not
shiny ,and the second pic with the broken studs the hub looks silvercolored
but the friction pad area does not ,nor is it shiny .Now doubt about those studs being too hot ,its right there in the photo .I did a large boat trailer
brake and bearing service ,looking at the studs today and look just fine
no discoloration ,normal color , those studs just do not turn color ,and
it is not normal .Any of us here that have had our wheels off our coaches
that do our own service ,would surely notice if the wheel studs were
dicolored .Only high heat can turn metal bluish brown ,a loose wheel indeed
breaks the studs off ,but geez all of the studs on all the four wheels?
The blog reads about a steel wheel (spare) on the drivers side ,kind of
incomplete on that part ,Those broken studs need a structural analysis to
check the strength of the metal now ,as opposed to a new replacement .
and the hardness or lack of .I did email Rich and hope he can provide some
more info .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Scott,

If you go back a few days on the Blog, you will understand the steel wheel. Rich picked up a drywall screw and has been running on the spare until he purchased a new tire. I think he has two new tires and is waiting for the new wheel to arrive at the VAC rally in Colorado. Are you going there?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Thanks Bill for the info on that steel wheel ,I could be wrong then about all four wheels ? I hope so .On the colorado trip ,I had to cancel and believe me
I am really dissapointed ,you can't imagine ,but things happen ,so next year.
I love the colorado landscape ,old mining towns ,steam trains ,you name it .
You folks that will be there can get the info from Rich on his dillema and
anymore news and have a great time as well .

Scott
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Scott,

I think you have an email from Rich with some more detail. He believes that the problem is completely over torqued studs which stretched, weakened and then allowed them to snap.

Too bad about Colorado, I know that there are some folks from our unit going.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
I go check it out ,thanks bill.

Scott
Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
hello to everyone,
I just read an email from Rich on his troubles ,he says the studs look discolored on the photo only and look new in person ,kinda gold in color
and there is some grease on the studs ,says the photo fools you and he agreed that in the pic they look discolored ie bluish etc. He has went 300
miles and so far all is well ,had another shop check the brakes and such
all is ok .He figures overtorqed studs .I was glad to hear from him today.
I hope the saga is over for him and his family.The pic though looks pretty
compelling ,I can see the dark grease ,but that was not the area I was concerned about and it sure looks discolored ,BUT so far all is good for them
and on down the road .Between you all and me I feel uneasy about the
whole deal ,just never seen that happen before as it all did.All those studs just popping off ,wheels rolling down ravines ,whew .

Scott
Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello all,
I went back to the blog to really look over the "last wheel lost "and read the blog concerning that wheel ,Richs blog says that "that one "had many thousands of miles and was last retorqed in may when the disc brakes were installed,as he thought it would have been the one he worked on the previouse week ,as in the rear wheel that came off ,so thats strange ,who then used an impact wrench on that wheel ,as that is not what he said,
also he found three of the wheels lug nuts were loose.more importantly is you Never Grease Studs ,the wheel lugs can come loose! Well ,still some mystery
to this scenario . hmmm.... the mindful thought continues.

Scott
Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #51
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not Limited to disk brakes

A friend with a 2-year-old 31 Classic Limited just had to replace most of his studs. He had taken the trailer to a local trailer place to have the tires rotated a few weeks earlier. They apparently used air wrenches to reinstall the wheels.

When the wheels were later removed to install Centramatics, it was discovered that many of the studs were visibly stretched. He had the local dealer replace all of the studs before using the trailer again. Note that these were Airstream original studs on drum brakes with many thousand miles on the trailer and only recently touched with an air wrench.

I had my disk brakes installed at the same place that Rich had his done and I watched every minute of the mounting and torqueing the wheels. The Tech, Dallas, did a meticulous job of torqueing the nuts. I have a few hundred miles on the new brakes and there have been no loose lug nuts. I sicerely doubt that any stretched studs were the result of the disk brake installation.

Since the affected wheels were adjacent, I think it is probable that whoever used the air wrench simply hit both wheels on that side.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
After reading all 50 post concerning lug nut torque I didn't see anywhere that the use of an antisieze compound on the studs mentioned. I have always used that on my traiiler lugs as well as other vehicles. Resistance to turning "torque" can be increased dramatically by even a small amount of rust or corrosion on the studs. Antiseize applyed to the stud before assemble helps insure the torque to the lug nut gives the correct clamp load to the wheel, which by the way is the purpose of the torque spec. in the first place.
pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The use of anti-sieze compound will dramatically effect the amount of torque which is turned into axial load on the stud. Anti-sieze is not recommended by any manufacturer I know. If you do use it, you would have to conduct experiments to make sure you are not overloading the stud. This would involve measuring the axial stretching of the stud, something most people are not equipped to do.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Anti-sieze on torque-sensitive connections???

As much as I hate a rusted bolt, lug nut or frozen sparkplug in an aluminum head, please consider the following when using anti-sieze on wheel lug nuts.

The percentage in parenthesis is the decrease in torque to attain the same clamping force as the No Lube torque. If you are torquing to 121 or thereabouts with lube, you're dangerously close to snapping studs.

For a 1/2-13 bolt (that's what mine are):

No lube 121 Ft-lbs
Plated and cleaned 90 (26%)
SAE 20 oil 87 (28%)
SAE 40 oil 83 (31%)
Plated & SAE 30 oil 79 (35%)
White Lithium 79 (35%)
Dry Moly film 66 (45%)
Graphite & oil 62 (49%)

Hope this helps.

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:44 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
You guys are correct on the antisieze and the studs do not need to be lubricated .The no grease on studs goes back probably 50 years or more .
It is a known fact the lug nuts will come loose ,that being said however ,Im
quite certain not all wheels have come loose nor off ,but it is not needed
or recommended .I would put forth the following possible exception and that
would be antiseize for salt water boat trailers as the wheels and studs can be submerged in salt water and corode the nuts right to the stud.There again
in minimal coating of the stud.

To Mike Lewis ,the grease talked about was on the blog of Rich luhrs trip
that has a photo of the new studs and surprisingly a rusted one,the one that is broke off. There was some grease applied to the wheel studs ,and that
could be another reason the lugs came loose on all the wheels.

Pahaska , Rich's mention of the retorque when the discs were installed
seems to counter the impact wrench theory he has since you had yours done at the same place ,who I wonder used the impact wrench? I do agree as I
said NO to impact wrench on tightening lug nuts ,period thats it .You have had no trouble ,and he found 3 wheels loose ??? somthing doesn't add up .

Scott
Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #56
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anti-sieze is not recommened by most manufacs, nor should it be a practice that is done in nearly all cases to lug nuts. To use an anti-sieze solution on lug nuts will do everything everyone has said so far, none of which are good to a dry type situation as we are talking about here.

The simple solution is to properly torque your lug nuts per the manufac specifications without deviation from the specs and proceedures and I'm not simply talking RVs here. Cars, trucks, or any device that requires a specfically stated torque setting.

I read the one post where someone said, "I though the specs were a suggestion." The reason specs and proceedures are outlined from manufacs is that those solutions are what the engineers have outlined who designed these systems. To devate from these outlined practices, specifications and proceedures is really at your own risk and of those around you. Could you imagine a doctor doing surgery not following the specs of a proceedure because they thought the specs were a suggestion? Or how about the person that made your tires, built your engine or changed your oil. Specs called for 5 quarts, but to save money, use use 4 quarts or 3 quarts, because that too is only a suggestion.

I realize these are not really great comparisions, but the reality is that one wouldn't skimp on fluids (brake, motor, trans, etc), brake pads or tire pressures that we've all talked about and agreed upon here. Why do all that safety stuff and blow off the proper torque proceedures and have a simple $100 or less torque wrench?

Seems like a no brainer to me.

John and everyone to date is correct. Impact wrenches are a no-no and you have to be on top of it, cause shops use them regularly and most folks at these places are VERY LAZY and won't use the proper gear, though they clearly should.

If doing work yourself, as we say in technology, RTFM (read the friggen manual)...and follow it!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #57
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
just to add...the last time I got tires on the truck, I questioned the guy as he was about to BRRRRRRRRPPTT my lug nuts into oblivion (or so I thought), and he assured me that their guns were set to a low torque, and were just for spinning the nuts on quickly. they always tighten them down with the torque wrench. Then he demonstrated the impact gun for me, by holding the socket while pulling the trigger to show that the torque was low enough that he could prevent the socket from moving with his bare hand.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello chuck ,
that is correct those guns have 4to 5 levels of torque ,but you do have to watch what is going on with your truck or trailer as the impacting down the
lugs full force is common, unfortunately.

Scott
Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
I am a fervent strick believer in the manual and proper torque procedures
lugs or head bolts ,flywheel bolts on and on .Always follow the torque
specifications .Today engine head bolts on most engines are (Torque to yield)
and require specific instructions as to how to fasten them down .There is a
design strech built in to the head bolt itself and are a one time use only
as in they are torqued to proper specs ,there is the strech to a certain tolerance and that is it.So when removed they are already "set " to that
predetermined limit of strech and cannot be reused.Anyway ,has no bearing
on lug nuts ,they should never be streched period .As for airstreams ,it seems
some level of uncertainty in lug torque for the aluminum wheels.hope we
can figure it out .

Scott
Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #60
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
.... and 2. I have the exact same AS as Rich and his family. So I checked the ol' manual because I have conflicting feedback from several places as to how much is too much or to little torque? I've never been one to worry about nuts and how much too torque...

It says
WARNING it is also important to periodically check on the tightness of lug nuts. They should be tightened to a torque of 110-120 ft. pounds on forged aluminum wheels and 90-95 ft. lbs on steel wheels Care should be taken at all times when handling the forged aluminum wheel because of possible damage to its appearance.

Now I believe my wheels are aluminum. Is that what would come with the Safari LS package? It seems hard to believe that some of the Aluminum wheels on recent models would be 85lbs torque and yet others alum wheels 120lbs.. That’s a big difference and enough to get someone in trouble. I would almost guarantee most shops would not know whos got 85ers and whos got 120ers.. they just let the airgun rip..
When I first got our 30' Safari I had problems with it wanting to wanter around the lane, I believe it to be sway. One of the first things that was recommended to me on this site was to torque the lug nuts so I purchased a torque wrench and checked the owner's manual to see what they should be torqued to. Brent you are correct. Per the Airstream brochure, the LS package comes with aluminum wheels. To back you up I have scanned page D-4 from the 30' Safari owners manual below. The owner's manual says 110-120 ft.lbs. I thought this was high, but I set the torque wrench on 120 and found that the lugs were probably at 110 because there was only a little turn on each before the wrench clicked and "slipped".

Click image below to read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque_directions.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	23943  
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote