Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You can sandblast the wheels and locks and paint them. Use a locking chuck when you go to fill. You could fill the tires upside down with them on 4x4's or just let that tire place you got the tubes mount them.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Hertford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
hertfordnc
Let it not be said you have not been warned. These were outlawed by the goverment 30 years ago because they killed or hurt so many people. That is why the tire guy didnt want to mess with them . Most compatent tire shops will not remount tires on these rims.
So now that you have been warned DO AS YOU WISH. DONT SAY YOU WERE NOT TOLD.
GOOD LUCK
Say what you want about my judgement (it is questionable) but Norman Young Tire in ELizabeth City, NC is the best.

By "competent" shops you mean Walmart and the other franchise tire places that need to keep the process simple and safe enough for entry level burger flippers to avoid injury.

hertfordnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Another consideration would be the difficulty of finding a shop that will tackle them on the road. You have found someone locally, but it might be difficult somewhere else. Just something else to consider, I'm not jumping in on the replace side. It sounds like your mind is made up.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are many reasons to switch to modern wheels.

The safety thing has been covered for the most part although mounting tires has inherent dangers even with one-piece rims with zipper rupture now being the biggest killer.

There are shops that will work on split rims but you have to call around since many do not.

Yes you will need tubes and flaps.

Those rims are intended for bias ply tires. Is that what you really want to run?

You can get one piece steel rims with a similar appearance that will take radial tires, possibly even with the little cleat to hold the hubcap.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
15" Trailer Wheel
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
hertfordnc
Scrap the spits man, they are worn out by now, they kill and maim many, just buy some decent spoke steel wheels and good tires, and a spare, you will never have to do them yourself in the wilderness, I worked many years in the tire business, please trust me.......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote