Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
married to mrs cleaver

wheel lug pattern '73 Argosy 24

Can anyone help me with lug pattern specs for my newly aquired '73 24 twin Argosy? I need to put tires on it too. ST225/75-15 is what I gather from the board. radial or bias ply?
I'm picking it up Monday & want to be prepared for the 500 mile trip home.
tony
coldduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

At that age, I would suspect that the suspension isn't too good. To be prepared to bring it home, maybe a nice flatbed would be better than new tires and rims. Otherwise run it light and low on tire pressure?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
married to mrs cleaver

why would the suspension be shot? this unit was in service as a traveller until less than a month ago. to my knowledge it hasn't been "parked"
if it's not towable, I suspect I will leave it where it sits!
Old 05-10-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldduc
Can anyone help me with lug pattern specs for my newly aquired '73 24 twin Argosy? I need to put tires on it too. ST225/75-15 is what I gather from the board. radial or bias ply?
tony

My 77 Minuet has 6 lug wheels, I'm not sure if the earlier ones were the same. The tires could be anything mine has bias ply Load Range D tires.
You might want to ask about when the last bearing service was done before traveling too far. You might also want to take a look at the article at the Inland RV web site on how to tell if your axle is bad, A lot, and I mean a lot of them are at that age.
Good Luck
Old 05-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Coldduc.

The lug pattern is 6 on 5 1/2.

All Airstream/Argosy axles, and any and all other axles made by Henschen, prior to 1975, used rubber rods that have proven, in time, to not hold up for the intended job.

Therefore they will go bad, it's just a matter of when.

Unfortunately, most owners cannot tell a good axle from a bad one, at least as far as the rods are concerned.

Someone was just trying to be helpful.

It does pay to be an informed Airstream owner. Most of us on this site, tell it like it is. It may not be what you want to hear, but facts are facts.

Theories, my guess, it ought to be, and the like, doesn't work most of the time, especially where safety is an issue.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
married to mrs cleaver

Andy,
I appreciate your reply & the article on torsion axles & how to tell their condition. True this is my first Argosy/Airstream type trailer, but I've logged 100k pulling Featherlites (24' & up) with torsion axles, and blanket statements take me aback. I have every intention of inspecting axles, bearings & tire/wheel condition before we hit the trail south.

Elliot,
I do appreciate the input, as well. I didn't it to sound like I didn't.
tony
Old 05-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldduc
tony
Tony, radials would probably be best for you and your trailer. If you look at your tires that are now on the trailer, and you have load range C tires, stick with the C's. I have radial, C rated tires on mine, with no problems.
If you are wanting to know about tightening sequence, you should tighten the first, then the lug directly across the wheel, move to the next one, and so on.
According to my service manual, the torque should be 95-100lbs/ft.
Have a safe trip home.
Terry
Old 05-26-2004, 06:24 PM   #8
married to mrs cleaver

tires axles etc

got it home with no issues,as it turned out the valve stems were in WORSE shape than the tires... tires were flat spotted, and a inspection of the 7 pin plug explained why..... someone had wired the trailer brakes to the stoplights!
pulled drums and of course the previous maintenance had packed the outer bearings, but not the inners....... new seals, rewire on the magnets, new Dayton 7.00x15 trailer tires and a little rewire in the 7 pin & wha bam..... stright easy pull, no issues. the axles are slightly sagged, and will need replacement before any major trips this fall, but right we are getting ready for the Memorial Day discovery trip.......
thanks for the advise
tony