Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
This "red grease" issue, does anybody know what the brand was? Pennzoil, Amsoil, Mobil 1 and others all have red colored grease. Most are suitable for wheel bearing use.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
This "red grease" issue, does anybody know what the brand was? Pennzoil, Amsoil, Mobil 1 and others all have red colored grease. Most are suitable for wheel bearing use.
I think the issue was not so much the red grease, but perhaps someone thought they needed less (read not enough) because it was better...
Old 10-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
Thanks for the continued advise. Here is an update. My dealer knows a mobile RV mechanic in Santa Rosa who is going to look at all 4 wheels and suspension tomarrow, and order the parts through my dealer and install them in Santa Rosa at Airstream's expense. I will then need to tow it to my dealer in Los Banos to repair the body damage. I have talked to Ohio a couple of times and they seem concerned about the problem.
Wilco
Good, you are being taken care of. Finally, but at least Ohio is stepping to the plate and I then would guess causing the dealer to live up to their part of the bargain. A relief I'm sure for you. It is good to know that ultimately good responsible business practices come into play. Let's hope this all happens quickly so you can get out and go camping once again.
B )
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:54 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
Here is an update.

I called Airstream in Ohio who said they would call my dealer and they would handle it. Ohio said the dealer may need to come up (175 miles) and get the trailer. I did not hear from my dealer, so I called them and they said they had not called me because they were busy. He said I needed to bring the trailer to the dealership for repairs and said they did not think it was their fault.

I really don't care who's fault it was, I just want it repaired under warranty. I can't image towing the trailer on 3 wheels on California freeways 175 miles. He said he would check with Ohio to see if they would pay for towing and get back to me.

Does anybody know what Airstream normally does in this type of situation?

thanks for any advise. I am remaining calm.

Wilco
What does Airstream normally do in this situation. They go into full defensive mode. If you are one mile or one day over the designated service intervals, they will hang you out to dry. Same thing happened to me 8 months after my purchase of a new bambi. You will note, wheel bearings are supposed to be serviced at 6 months. Ended up paying for all repairs out of my pocket. Hope your experience is better than mine.
dryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Here is an Update,

I don't know if I was treated differently because of the recall, but Airstream paid for all of the repairs to the wheel. replaced other bearings and repaired the damage to the trailer including replacing an aluminium panel. The dealer in Los Banos did all of the repairs. Airstream sent a local mobile RV mechanic to repair the one wheel that fell off to allow me to tow it the 175 miles to Los Banos. The trailer was at the dealer where I purchased the trailer for about 3 weeks. I paid nothing for all of the repairs and Airstream never asked for money or implied that the repair would not be covered by the warranty. The wheel fell off about 5,000 miles after the dealer had inspected them.

Wilco
wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #26
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
You know... stuff happens and happens usually at the worst times. It's nice to hear when something is resolved to your satisfaction, though. That's truly the measure of quality products and a quality dealership network.

Thanks for sharing the outcome.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

I did not want to imply that Airstream did not try to help me with my broken axle or that their product is not a great product. I've had my trailer in various environments from the deserts of Arizona to the Grand Canyon this summer, to Winter Park, Colorado with a covering of ice over the trailer last winter on a snow sking trip. Also a few severe thunderstorms, rain and wind here in Texas. It has kept me comfortable in every environment I've been in. When the axle disintegrated on a trip from Oklahoma, Airstream tried and found a repair facility for me nearby that was very reputable and they did a great job of repairing the damage. I'm just saying that if you are beyond warranty, or beyond service intervals, you are unlikely to have them pick up the tab, even if you did not receive a recall notice.

Dallas
dryan is offline   Reply With Quote