Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2023, 10:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I would replace the axle with an ez- lube bearing ….
Complete. It is same price as 2 hubs with sealed bearings
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:16 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Gilroy , California
Dexter Axles

“Anyways, I haven’t read of any axle failures on recent or new campers, so I think I’m the unlucky one here.[/QUOTE]”

I had the exact same thing happen on my SOB, 2020 trailer with dexter axles. It took a few months to get rectified after I contacted the manufacturer and thy then contacted Dexter. Dexter replaced both axles and used a local dealer that I had selected to have them installed.
Bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 12:35 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Calumet City , Illinois
Axel failures

Jackson Center replaced my Axel and brakes at 8 months, I dropped it off on a Friday, picked up the next Thursday, no charge, under warranty. My left wheel was smoking.
2022 Caravel 20
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
It is not exactly a Dexter thing.
Dexter may in the end cover the repair. And contacting your selling dealer or Airstream directly should be the first place to go.

The warranty on the vehicle is with Airstream. They may direct you to Dexter and Airstream is the first in line.

Action
+1. Since when does Airstream duck the responsibility for this? You paid big $ for that trailer and Airstream should cover it. ….and the selling dealership should be your “one stop shop”
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I would replace the axle with an ez- lube bearing ….
Complete. It is same price as 2 hubs with sealed bearings
Yeah. The more I look at what it takes to pull the wheel & service the brakes w/ nev-r-lube vs other AND the serviceability of the bearings themselves, I wish I had easy lube. Nev-r-lube bearings have to be pressed in, probably at a machine shop.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Neverlube bearings............. they are made by Dexter. They are warranted for 100,000 miles. They are not made to be greased. They should be checked once a year when you take the wheels off and do brake checks. The allowable play is about .010". Measured at the hub. . It requires a dial indicator. The size varies with each trailer. They must know the trailer axle serial number to know which bearing, hub, axle goes together.

The Dexter rep once told me there is about 150 axle combinations used by Airstream. Dexter is providing neverlube bearings for new pick up trucks.

We had one fail at 40,000 miles. It put us in Dr Trailer Repair yard, boondocking next to the semi-trailers, and other light trailers for three days. Fortunately, we called in after the first noise not an hour later. It required a new hub assembly and back plate (brakes) . The axle was fine. The problem is that the Buffalo supply network does not have any of our size parts. We had to wait for our overnight package from Colorado to arrive, in two days.

We called the local Airstream dealer for repair or lead on who to call for repair. We are still waiting for them to call us back 12,000 trailer miles later.

PS.....Dexter reimbursed us for the repair cost.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 02:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Such a bummer!
And still a bit of a mystery for a sealed bearing failure after so few miles.
Wonder if the big washer was in place under the big nut?

FWIW we had a hot brake issue and just replaced everything with brakes you adjust by hand.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:25 AM   #28

2023 23' International
Murrysville , Pennsylvania
Wheel Bearing Issue

We had the same bearing issue on our 2018 Bambi with only 500 miles a few years ago. The wheel sheared from the axle on the highway and bounded across the other lane. It was a very scary situation, and we were lucky to get out of it with no injuries. Having a good tow vehicle (F150) allowed us to safely pull to the side of the highway.

We had the trailer towed back to our dealer and they worked with Airstream to completely cover it under warranty. They were great to work with.

Since then, we have purchased a new International 23FBT and I periodically check the heat of the axles while traveling.

You did the right thing by not ignoring the problem and probably saved yourself from a bad outcome.
rollcastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
DaHealy, first off congratulations on the impending addition, or is it the new edition? I am glad to hear that you were able to complete your big trip without any accidents or being stuck on the side of the road somewhere.
This is a new Airstream under warranty. I can't understand how Airstream would expect you to do the leg work regarding contacting Dexter. Here is how it "should" work in my opinion. You take it back to the dealer you purchased it from, or in your case, you take it back to a legitimate Airstream dealer. They inspect it and then THEY take care of it. End of story.

I am old school enough to look them in the eye and simply say, "No, I am not going to do your job for you." Why would they expect their customer to have to contact Dexter? Somebody has to tell me that, and don't say, we have always done it that way. If your new car has a bad wheel bearing, do you think that your local Ford dealer would expect you to call the manufacturer who supplied the bearings? How would that go over? Sheesh, I am never surprised by what I hear and read these days. Make them do it. By the way, I am just guessing that you paid a healthy sum for this new trailer. Call Airstream and let them know what a warranty really means. Best wishes. Please follow up with us and share how it went.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 02:36 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Time for another update.

I wasn’t hearing much from Airstream Portland, so I contacted Airstream corporate directly. After calling them, Airstream JC had me email with my information. Within a day I got an update that Airstream Portland filed a case with Airstream JC. Airstream JC did do the warranty through Dexter - but they never asked me to talk to Dexter. Basically they told me how it works, but as far as I’m concerned, did all the work themselves.

The axle arrived and should be installed in the next week.

Now I’m focusing on ‘why’. Looking at the Dexter axle recall, my Airstream VIN is right in the middle of the ‘affected units’ - but NOT on the affected unit list. I’m incredibly suspicious that I got one of the bad axle’s. Airstream Portland agreed to open the center cap on my other axle and inspect both sides, but beyond that - I’m not sure how to determine what the failure mode was.
DaHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
College Station , Texas
Great to hear that Airstream is stepping up!
DotsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:31 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Final update.

Our camper is home! We picked it up this week and drove it the ~200 miles home without issue.

For future reference, I have the case number with both Airstream and Dexter. AS of Portland did inspect my other axle, but didn't see anything wrong. They never figured out why the one bearing failed. I have my suspicions that the axle nut was either improperly torqued or one of the 2 snap rings wasn't installed - but ... who knows. AS disposed of the axle (I didn't ask to see it in time, so my fault).

I bought an IR thermometer and I'm going to make a habit of checking my bearing temps at each gas stop for the next few years. Other than that, not sure what else I can do. For our planned Alaska and cross country adventures I might add some spare parts and the right tools to do some emergency repairs - but that might be unrealistic / overkill (it's not like I'm going to press a new bearing at a rest stop).
DaHealey is offline   Reply With Quote