Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Valve stems and TPMS

I was washing our trailer this weekend when I noticed that the Pressure-Pro TPMS had made marks on each of the trailer's wheels. Today, I took it to a local tire shop and had them switch out the rubber valve stems with metal ones. I was happy with the amount they charged. All 4 for $21.50.

Another nice thing I found was that all of the wheels had been balanced. There are weights on the back side of each wheel. The installer made sure he did not move the tire on the wheel. He deflated it, broke the bead, removed the old valve stem and then installed the new one.

I'll have to try to rub out the mark on the wheel but I'm thinking it will become part of the trailer's "character".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0231 (Large).JPG
Views:	226
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	66454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0233 (Large).JPG
Views:	219
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	66455  

BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
_

. , .
good info cosmotini!

clearly the monitoring heads are heavy enough to move the rubber stems...

richL had a rubber stem failure recently, that he attributed to aging,

but it may have been precipitated by the monitor nubs.

good of the tire shop to do the balance too!

a metal stem and monitor head clearly alter balance a tad.

i'm still holding out for tpms that go INSIDE the tire at the stem, like some oem versions.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
I was washing our trailer this weekend when I noticed that the Pressure-Pro TPMS had made marks on each of the trailer's wheels. Today, I took it to a local tire shop and had them switch out the rubber valve stems with metal ones. I was happy with the amount they charged. All 4 for $21.50.

Another nice thing I found was that all of the wheels had been balanced. There are weights on the back side of each wheel. The installer made sure he did not move the tire on the wheel. He deflated it, broke the bead, removed the old valve stem and then installed the new one.

I'll have to try to rub out the mark on the wheel but I'm thinking it will become part of the trailer's "character".
Thanks for the information. I've had them on my trailer for 8 mos/3,300 miles and have not yet noticed a problem. Will definitly get metal stems before heading south for the winter.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Metal or rubber valve stems?

Hi, I was wondering about Airstream useing rubber valve stems on their trailers; My trailer came with metal valve stems, but some others, same model year as mine [actually same year, same model, same wheels, and same size trailer.] were made with rubber valve stems installed. Was this random or a dated production change?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thought I'd revive this as I had 3 valve stem failures on my recent trip to Arizona and Colorado. One in Missouri, one the next day in Oklahoma and the third the next week in Kansas.

First, the Doran TPMS worked perfectly, paying for itself at least twice over as all tires were stopped at or above 57 psi and no tire damage occurred or replacement necessary. These systems are a must have, IMO.

I had the high pressure rubber and brass stems and that is all each tire store had to replace my leaking ones with.

Two of the tire stores said the external sensors screwed onto the stems had no bearing on the failure....and the third one said, "what's them things?"

After returning home I have found bolt on all metal stems that I think will fit into the small recesses of the Sendel T02s.

Just a heads up...the first two stores said they have seen a rise in failure rates of Chinese stems and inner tubes (on larger trucks).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We had a rubber valve stem failure shortly after installing PressurePros....pressure went from 65 lbs to 14 lbs in seconds...glad we were at a stop light in town! We then had metal stems installed. No problems since.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I should mention that the stems I had on mine were the high pressure metal and rubber ones which are for LT tires and 80+psi, not the regular passenger car/P metric truck tire stems. They all split down low at the rim interface.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Use metal valve stems if all possible. Rubber stems get hot, like the tires, and can fatigue quicker.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have ordered bolt on flush mounted all metal stems. I am hopeful that they will fit in the small recess of the Sendel wheels. I checked for heat and the tires, hubs, nor wheel rim area was any hotter than you would expect and within a few degrees of the truck tires and wheels. I don't think heat was the issue. in addition it was fairly cool...between 80* - 95* on each of the days in question. I don't think these stems, tires or wheels have ever run in 100*+ temps.

They were 22 months old and had 6000 - 7000 miles on them. They were covered while in storage.