Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Green and Soggy , Washington
Upgrade to 16" wheels and tires 1975 Argosy 24

Lots of chat about options, so thought I'd share what we did.

Previous wheels & tires: 15" steel, Chevy Nova hubcaps, ST 10-ply Akurat tires. Age on tires unclear, so replacement was required.

New wheels: 5 x 16" aluminum wheels (and hubcovers) from etrailer.com. Had the delivered (free shipping) and then took one over to the trailer for test-fit before getting tires.

New tires: 5 x 225/75/16 Michelin LTX MS/2. On sale at Discount Tire plus $70 rebate. Metal valve stems, weights on the inside. Also realized I needed deeper lug nuts and grabbed 24 x 1/2in chrome splined acorns.

Roughly $700 for wheels and $1100 for tires.

Replacement was one-at-a-time, jacking up the trailer with my yellow lego blocks. Piece of cake, especially with lug-nut collection help from my daughter.

Trailer sits a little higher with the +.5" diameter of the new tires. Looks-wise, I like the wheels, but maybe a bit too modern looking for my taste now that I see them on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old tires.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	184062   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view old.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	184063  

Name:	test fit.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	184064   Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	184065  

Name:	side view new.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	184066  
chadloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Looking good!

Don't junk the old wheels as someone would want to buy them!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Great looking new wheels and tires -- Congratulations!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

May I recommend Centramatic wheel balancers, they will take care of balancing the entire assembly wheel/tire and brake drum, well worth the investment.

Good discussion here....

Bob
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Definitely prefer the old-school dog-dish baby moons to the newer rims. But then again, I'm partial! Here's what I did for wheels on my 75th:

ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Nice retro treatment! Is that a white beauty ring, or did you use whitewall paint and paint them yourself?

Also, is that a wheel/tire scale under the door in the last photo? If so, could you please provide details (manufacturer, model, price, etc.)?

Thanks!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ggoat - yowza!!!! Just beautiful!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Thanks everybody! I did my wheels/tires last year. I went with 16" new Dexstar steel wheels from Redneck trailer supply (cheapest I could find) as I wanted an increased load range and wanted to stay away from Marathons. I went with the Michelin XPS Rib, a truck tire very well regarded in a 225/75R16. I had the tires customized by Diamondback Tires, which will basically vulcanize any sort of combo of white, red, blue, yellow, or wide whitewalls to your liking; anything you can dream up they seem to be able to do. I decided on the wide white with dual blue lines. Again the stripes are part of the tire; they are vulcanized to the sidewalls without affecting the actual structural integrity of the tire. I added the chrome lettering above the wheelwells and had blue vinyl lettering made that I applied centered on the chrome lettering at the same time last year, as well as the 75th emblems.

I painted my rims originally Rustoleum Sail Blue (which was the PERFECT color) but literally would NEVER DRY down here in super humid south Louisiana after umpteen hours of re-doing them three times from bare metal to paint stripped back down sanded prepped painted again blah blah blah. So in the end I went with Dupli-Color Ford Blue Engine Enamel which didn't go on as smooth or coat as nicely as the Rustoleum but at least it dried. I hand polished them afterward, and although the color is just a tad darker than the Rustoleum it is close enough.

The blue lines on the tires are the exact same color as my pinstripes around the wheelwells (and soon centered on my beltline and bellywrap...and the Rustoleum Sail Blue, sadly). The stripes on the tires take away some of the HUGENESS of these tires.

The trim rings are stainless steel, ribbed. The hubcaps are PhoenixUSA 1309SS also in stainless steel. I put a tiny drop of RTV on them as I lost one on a trip last year; good thing I bought spares. They fit the 16" Dexstar rims with ease...no denting, no forcing. I also installed Centramatics from Andy while I was at it.

I also at the time had my tires for my SSR customized with matching dual blue lines to match the trailer wheels. I also had the insides of the SSR rims powdercoated sparkly blue and added blue reflective bowties to the center caps, painted the rotors with the Duplicolor blue to match and installed matching brake caliper covers in blue with SSR logos.

I wish that were a wheel/tire scale in the pic, but sadly it's just a jack from Harbor Freight...in aluminum blue/silver of course ha ha...

ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote