Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Spinning Lug Nut on 2016 AS purchased December

Finally picked up a Husky torque wrench to check the lug nuts and all but one are perfect at 110lbs. The one that isn't looks slightly different and the 3/4" deep socket head won't seat fully in and slips slightly. I marked the head with a sharpie and can see that it spins but no matter how long I ratchet it, the lug-nut will neither get tighter nor back out. Seems it just spins.

The AS dealer is a state away so taking it there is a full day round trip journey. I know I have to be able to take the wheel off in case I have a flat.

Any experience with this?
How could a lug nut just spin?
Advice?

Oh. This is a 25FB FC with aluminum 15" wheels.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
It spins because your lug nuts are steel with a stainless shell. These lug nuts are junk and I'd replace all of them with McGards, as the Factory now uses because of so many problems with the nuts like yours.

You can get the lug nut off by driving a socket onto the lug nut. If that doesn't work, pry off the shell, or cut it off with a Dremel-like tool such as a die grinder, then size down a socket to fit the steel nut and remove that way.

You're in good company; lots of us have had your problem.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
To close the loop, I ordered McGard #64010 sized 1/2"-20 off Amazon. While I was at it, I ordered a Tektron 3/4" impact deep socket and a 5" extension socket as I found out that to properly torque the lugnuts to 110#, I needed some clearance from the wheels. I can strongly recommend the large Home Depot Husky torque wrench from a quality standpoint plus it was reasonably priced.

SOme photos below of what these factory lugnuts are actually composed of. You can see there is a cheap metal shell that contacts the cheap steel short lugnut below. Also, if you are getting a set of tools for the first time, all you need is a 4-way and put some reflective tape on the end that fits your wheel. The tape will help you find the 4-way when you drop it in the mud in the dark.

AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote