Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Parker Dam , California
Rims

Hi Fellow Airstream Owners,
I am thinking about replacing my stock original rims on my '72 Ambassador. It has typical new trailer tires (ST225-75R15).
Does anyone know the exact after-market rim size that would fit my trailer with these tires?
I was told by a tire dealer that 15x7 rims should work.
I'm trying to match them with my rims on my truck.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
Alex
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Hi Fellow Airstream Owners,
I am thinking about replacing my stock original rims on my '72 Ambassador. It has typical new trailer tires (ST225-75R15).
Does anyone know the exact after-market rim size that would fit my trailer with these tires?
I was told by a tire dealer that 15x7 rims should work.
I'm trying to match them with my rims on my truck.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
Alex
For some reason finding rims in that size rated for a trailer is difficult. I was atempting to do the same and 95% of the rims I could find i nthe corrct size were only rated 1900lb. It is recomended the rims be rated 2500lb. Tha is what the tires are rated that you have.

I ended up going with a set of rims ver simular to what Airstream has used. They are close to the Eagle 59's on the tow rig but they have more holes.
I bought them from. the following company. I went wit hthe 22575R15ARA for $149.99and that includes a Goodyear Marathon. Over all I am pleased but they were not ballanced. Just mounted.
http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com...l_assembly.htm

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Parker Dam , California
Rims

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the rating and I will make sure it meets or exceeds.
Do you know anything about the correct rim size, ie., 15x7 , 15x5, etc. How can I tell if the rim and tire will clear the wheel well area. I currently have new tires on original rims, so I know the tires clear, but I need to be sure. Thanks again
Alex
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Thanks for the info. I am aware of the rating and I will make sure it meets or exceeds.
Do you know anything about the correct rim size, ie., 15x7 , 15x5, etc. How can I tell if the rim and tire will clear the wheel well area. I currently have new tires on original rims, so I know the tires clear, but I need to be sure. Thanks again
Alex
Alex,
the stock size is 15x6, 6-hole.
I run 15x7 alloys, 2500lb rated. They will fit with a zero offset, if your axles are decent. If the axles are weal or collapsed, then the tire will rub a bit on the inside of the body on one side, and the brake drum on the other side when taking the wheel in and out of the wheel well, like when doing brakes or bearings. 15x7's give the trailer a nice stance, and make the tire/wheel combo look "fat".
I have towed a few thousand miles with 15x7's and 225 Marathons, with good results. Zero clearance or handling problems. I tell you, it's a lot easier to deal with alloys then steel rims, for weight reasons. A steel rim/tire weighs 70+ pounds!
Old 05-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #5

I am new to this, so please bear with me. I have a 75 31' International. I recently purchased Alcoa 15 X 7 Aluminum rims. I purchased them from Southwest Wheel and I was told they were original Airstream wheels. I do not know if this is true although they are very nice, well made rims. The problems is I did not realize my wheels use lug bolts instead of lug nuts. I am having a hard time finding lug bolts that seem to fit the aluminum rims correctly. I tried the original lug bolts which did tighten down, but it seems to fit deep into the beveled hole in the wheel. I thought about using screw in wheel studs and using aftermarket aluminum wheel type nuts.

Does anyone have experience with this problem. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks
Tim and Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I would want to get advise from an Airstream dealer from this. You don't want your wheels falling off. Prehaps some pictures would help others give you their opinion. The wheel hub connection is what keeps the trailer off the ground. I wouldn't screw with anything that wasn't prefect. When you start saying "it will be alright" and "Let's see how it works" you are heading for trouble.
If you take a wheel to your local NAPA guy they may have the bolts you need.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:08 PM   #7

I have spoken to trailer dealers, suppliers, the Alcoa Tech people, a machine shop, and the list goes on and on. I spoke to a tech person at a racing parts manufacturer who makes parts for axles, brakes, hubs, etc. They suggested I purchase heavy grade replacement screw in studs and lock tight them in. I could then run regular Alcoa tapered lug nuts that fit the wheel. If the studs were screwed in properly, I would think they would be no less likely to back out than a lug bolt, especially if lock tight is used.

I sent an e/mail to Airstream's tech line so I hope to hear something from them soon. I wonder what kind of lug bolt they used back in 75 when they sold the aluminum slotted wheel as an option. Thanks for your input. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #8

I found some interesting information from the Airstream Tech Line. They advised to covert the drums to wheel studs and use lug nuts designed for the Alcoa wheels. They even provided a part number.

I ordered screw in studs from Summit Racing. They are a high grade replacement stud. They come in two or three inches. I chose the three inchers due to the depth of the threaded drum opening and the thickness of the Aluminum wheel hub. I will order lug nuts and covers from Alcoa. I hope this helps if anyone else is considering converting to aluminum wheels and currently have drums fit with lug bolts instead of studs.