Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Know what I mean?
Dat's what I'm talkn' bout!

WELL SAID DON!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello axleman,

you didn't flame me ,as I asked you a question so I expected an answer.
this is the first time i have read in any post of yours that some travel trailers used a torsion other than airstream .You also continually post about not bothering with shocks and they don't need them, so I disagree ,anyone that reads your opinion on this issue can clearly see that. You also went on about the 500 customers utility trailers and so on ,no shocks etc ,airstream doesn't know nothing ,your engineers have thousands of hours of experience so they are the experts, that sounds pretty adamant about your idea of no shocks.
you guys can do whatever you want ,Alot of other people here have years of experience also lets not forget ,they have knowledge also of what works .
I will stand by my experience and decision to not remove or leave off shocks when replacing an axle .I would like to see that torsion arm slamming up and down with no shock when the tire and wheel are out of balance ,which is problematic on the torsion axle airstream ,thats a fact.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Wow!! I feel like I'm being called to the carpet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hello axleman,

you didn't flame me ,as I asked you a question so I expected an answer.
this is the first time i have read in any post of yours that some travel trailers used a torsion other than airstream .You also continually post about not bothering with shocks and they don't need them, so I disagree ,anyone that reads your opinion on this issue can clearly see that. You also went on about the 500 customers utility trailers and so on ,no shocks etc ,airstream doesn't know nothing ,your engineers have thousands of hours of experience so they are the experts, that sounds pretty adamant about your idea of no shocks.
you guys can do whatever you want ,Alot of other people here have years of experience also lets not forget ,they have knowledge also of what works .
I will stand by my experience and decision to not remove or leave off shocks when replacing an axle .I would like to see that torsion arm slamming up and down with no shock when the tire and wheel are out of balance ,which is problematic on the torsion axle airstream ,thats a fact.

Scott
Scott,

The forums are supposed to be “knowledge sharing” and fun. You seem to be taking offense to my statements on a personal level. I can assure you that they are not directed at you.

Many travel trailers use torsion axles I guess I never had a need to mention it before. Most likely because I tend to keep the focus Airstream - this is the "Airstream Forums".

I don’t know how to be any more direct than to say: “I don’t think that a shock is required on a torsion axle”!!!!!!

I was attempting to let you know that not only did Axis build axles for RV’s they also built them for lots of other customers, thousands. None of them used a shock on a torsion axle. Several used torsions on RV’s, boat trailers, utility trailers, cargo trailers, car trailers, generator trailers, fiber-optic trailers, light tower trailers – you get the idea.

I never said Airstream doesn’t know anything – I said they are the Cadillac of the RV industry in the Travel Trailer segment and shocks are an “extra nice” touch.

I never referenced my thousands of hours of engineers experience, what I said was that some of the Axis customers had more engineers than Airstream does manufacturing personnel.

Funny thing Scott, I think that you have taken some things out of context. When I supplied Axis axles to Airstream customers (around 75 of them) every axle had shock mounts, perhaps with the exception of a few spring axles. You see in this case “the customer is always right”. Even though “I don’t think that a shock is required on a torsion axle” – we built them anyway.

Please accept my apology – and let’s keep the forums fun.

Respectfully,
Henry
Old 06-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #44
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Scott,

I don’t know how to be any more direct than to say: “I don’t think that a shock is required on a torsion axle”!!!!!!

Henry

This is a knowledge sharing place and Scott was asking fa question based on your experience. So I have a Q too, the other 25 non-Airstream travel trailer manufactures that offer torsion axles, which ones offer that type of axle and do not have a shock option?

Also your above statement leaves some doubt. As in you "think", not know. So as a person in the industry, or have been in the industry for some time (Another point that is a little unclear) and make some definate claims it's interesting that you are not sure.

No offense was meant by any of the above. Just a question and an observation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
This is a knowledge sharing place and Scott was asking fa question based on your experience. So I have a Q too, the other 25 non-Airstream travel trailer manufactures that offer torsion axles, which ones offer that type of axle and do not have a shock option?

Also your above statement leaves some doubt. As in you "think", not know. So as a person in the industry, or have been in the industry for some time (Another point that is a little unclear) and make some definate claims it's interesting that you are not sure.

No offense was meant by any of the above. Just a question and an observation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Action & Scott,

In my industry experience (RV Manufacturing and Axle Manufacturing about 20 years worth prior to my retirement) I am aware or NO other RV manufacturer or other torsion axle user that uses a shock on a torsion axle.

Simply put: if it were required why didn't I see more of them?

I was asking Scott to share his experience (others can chime in too) of any other trailer manufactured with a shock on a torsion axle. I was attempting to learn by asking the question - who else uses them?

I hope that the above statement clears things up.

Happy trails,
Henry
Old 06-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #46
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
Sorry to bug you all, but how should I measure these distances?

Mitch
Mitch, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The bolt pattern is measured between the first and third hole (skipping one, for reasons that escape me at the moment). The holes should measure 5 1/2" center to center.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Back to rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli
Uwe,

Or anyone else that knows,

Do the rims you bought have a protective clearcoat? I am looking into replacing the steel wheels on my 27' 1972 International and these look like the best match.

How about tires, what did you use?

Look here: www.trailertiresandwheels.net
I bought these for my 1963, and am very happy with them. http://www.trailertiresandwheels.net...product/AW1504

Sounds like the AW1504 rim in the link above are the same rims used on new airstreams.

Just looking for some more first hand input on these rims.

Uwe, do you still like them, how do they compare to the american racing outlawII.

Steve
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote