Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've never seen a pressed in wheel stud slip as in the manner you are speaking. They might snap off which would require the old stud to be pressed put and a new wheel stud being pressed back in.
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:13 PM   #22
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
RFP

How about asking your favorite shop or tire shop if they have ever run into this spinning stud problem. If the oldest wrench guy in the house gives you a strange puzzled look, I guess you can interpret that one.

Be Prepared. It’s a good thing.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:49 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Okay, let's say you have a stripped wheel stud and you can't get the nut off. If you remove all the other nuts could you pull on the tire and rim to get enough pressure on the stud to keep it from spinning so you could remove the last nut?? Just asking
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
Okay, let's say you have a stripped wheel stud and you can't get the nut off. If you remove all the other nuts could you pull on the tire and rim to get enough pressure on the stud to keep it from spinning so you could remove the last nut?? Just asking
Grinder…die grinder.easy
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Sacramento , California
Given your hypothetical situation, I'd just drop the trailer and go find some help.

Maybe a good roadside assistance plan is a better solution for these contingencies?
as-ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by as-ty View Post
Given your hypothetical situation, I'd just drop the trailer and go find some help.

Maybe a good roadside assistance plan is a better solution for these contingencies?

Sometimes the posters with fewer rivets offer the most practical answers.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:55 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Replace your center cap with new ones for etrailer. The centers pop out to allow access to grease fitting.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Acces...102-SI60C.html

Or you could not worry about it because your not going to spin a hardened press fit stud in the wheel hub. You may snap a stud, not a problem the rest should hold until you can get to a shop. A nut may freeze on the stud, this will require a big Air gun and compressor so you can snap the stud the replace the stud. Most likely you may round the shoulders of the nut, this requires a welder.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
I love this post. I look for things to be worried about in advance, just like this. That way I am not stressed out about what to worry about it.

I already have the ability to just cut it off (in the 1% chance I would need to do that) by tossing the Dremel in every growing in size and weight toolkit I now carry thanks to threads just like this.

So, basically, I am saying, "Thank you." Now I have one less thing to worry about trying to figure out what I should worry about.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #29
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by as-ty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Sometimes the posters with fewer rivets offer the most practical answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirParkOnly View Post
I love this post. I look for things to be worried about in advance, just like this. That way I am not stressed out about what to worry about it.

I already have the ability to just cut it off (in the 1% chance I would need to do that) by tossing the Dremel in every growing in size and weight toolkit I now carry thanks to threads just like this.

So, basically, I am saying, "Thank you." Now I have one less thing to worry about trying to figure out what I should worry about.

Soul brother!!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #30

2022 22' Bambi
Richmond , Texas
I just took delivery of a Bambi 22fb and have gone out twice with it. Love the trailer, but just realized they have cheap hub caps. One of which rattles and flops around. I submitted a question to Airstream and got the following reply. "I spoke with our technician who handles a majority of our tire related issues in our shop at Jackson Center and he confirmed this. He advised over time heat and exposure to the elements it will tighten." So basically we spent a lot of money for something that is noisier than my old utility trailer. I cant believe a company that promotes quality hand made trailers would even suggest just waiting for enough dirt to build up and hope the rattle goes away.

The question i have, does anyone have a fix other than taking it back to the dealer in hopes of getting a better quality fit hub?

mckayab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #31
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Electrical tape. Wrap enough around the hub center to make it snug but not too snug. If it shows, trim the width of the tape before wrapping it. Simple but it works.

I'm sure others have more high tech solutions, but if you trim the tape right you'll never notice it in the shadow of the space between the hub and wheel.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #32
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayab View Post
< snip > The question i have, does anyone have a fix other than taking it back to the dealer in hopes of getting a better quality fit hub?
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Yep, I just took our off and left them off. I wannt to have easy access to the axle nuts 'just in case' ... and 'just in case' can happen in the most inopportune and inconvient places!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:30 AM   #33

2022 22' Bambi
Richmond , Texas
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like another good use for duct tape. Its really a shame we spend all this money on a "high" quality trailer and have to use tape to hold it together.
mckayab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:08 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Yeah - I missed that you already replaced the lug nuts. With that being the case, not sure how often you will encounter a stripped lug nut that just spins, unless someone goes nuts with an impact gun.

If it does happen, lots of suggestions for removing the center cover above.
^^^^^^^
This

Worry...an exercise the brain does when it really wants to sleep.

POI..I've never had my, (properly used), impact wenches strip a lug nut or stud.
Disclaimer...only over 45 yrs...is there still time?

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦