Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Picture of an AS with 2 small wheels under the rear bumper?

Saw a AS blog yesterday and the pic of the AS. They were parked in Oregon and the AS had 2 smallish wheels not touching the ground under the rear bumper. Maybe they touch before the bumper would when backing up on unlevel ground.

Any thoughts?
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I had a car trailer that had those wheels, they hit the ground before the bumper to stop it from dragging on the ground, say for when backing up a steep driveway.
The way an Airstream frame is built, I would recommend against them, these trailers are not made to lift by the rear part of the frame.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
This was a blog called "Just Five More Minutes" in their destinations of Oregon. Just looked again. Yes, I also would be worried about damage to the rear floor and bumper.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A common application that has little or no merit. Yes those wheels will touch the ground before the trailer frame does but depending on the mounting of the wheels they will also touch the ground far more often then the trailer would. Some installations have the wheels 2 or 3 in. below the frame removing 2 or 3 in. of ground clearance

If you are willing to have those additional shocks applied to your trailer use them. It is far more effective to pay attention to the rear of your trailer, with your mirrors, than risk that additional damaging contact.

If you ever use a Canadian ferry you will want to pay attention to the rear of the trailer while loading and unloading. The ramps commonly have an incline so steep that it guarantees my 34 fter. slides on and off the ferry. Coming off Grand Manan Island the wheels came off the ramp

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
As HowieE points out, rollers unnecessarily decrease your departure angle. Airstreams already have skids.

But then...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollers.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	257079  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

If you ever use a Canadian ferry you will want to pay attention to the rear of the trailer while loading and unloading. The ramps commonly have an incline so steep that it guarantees my 34 fter. slides on and off the ferry. Coming off Grand Manan Island the wheels came off the ramp
FYI To all:

When using ferries of any sort anywhere, pay close attention to high and low tides. Try to schedule your embarking just before a high tide, and disembarking just after a high tide. The reason being is that at high tide the jetty ramps are at there most level point in relation to the wharf. When embarking or disembarking at or close to high tide the ramp is almost completely level; at low tide the ramp is at its steepness.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Little wheels....

....not necessary, we all have 'skids', they may even cause more problems than not.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09347.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	257080  
Old 02-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #8
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I believe that person had a very steep driveway and the wheels are used to help park his AS.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Our first trailer was a box Fleetwood 30 ft, and the small wheels under the rear bumper were necessary to keep the traiker from scraping out of the very steep swale encountered when exiting our trailer storage facility.

When we purchased our new Airstream, we had similar wheels installed for the same reason. After careful observation, we found that they were superfluous--the standard skids do the job. The key is to make sure to exit at right angles to the dip (unlike what you do to protect the front spoiler of a low slung sportscar.) If you do it at an angle, the skids will bend under, but straight ahead they do the job. I have to believe that the "weaker" skids are better for the trailer frame than the strong wheels--rather bend the skids than bend the frame.

We removed the wheels after the first week and have not had an issue.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I am getting mine installed soon as well. My drive way is steep and I currently have to use a ramp. It is a pain in the ass to drag in and out. So the dealership recommended I get a wheel on my rear bumper to help. If you have a clear picture of it, would love to see it.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Look up the blog Just Five Minutes and go under destinations and pick Oregon.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
I unfortunately experienced this upon arriving home only to find my New AS rear skids bottomed out on the drive apron. If I would have forced it the sewer outlet would have been history. Long story short regraded drive and sidewalk and a thinner wallet it is all good now. My point - skids would not have protected the sewer outlet.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Under extreme conditions, not necessarily visible in the TV mirrors, such as a cross road with asphalt surface and high crown, you can inadvertently back into the, not over, the rise with the skids. Now, if the forward room is limited you are stuck. Rollers would be better than nothing. However, my experience has been that rear quarter panel damage is inevitable because of the sharp upward force the flexing frame will produce. If I had not found a very small parking lot to turn all 57' around in, I would still be in the Arkansas woods trying to figure what to do on a late Sunday afternoon.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
Here’s something you might find in the auto parts store or catalog. Curb Feelers or Finders might help if you don’t have a person to guide you during a backup. When attached to the underside frame or shell they'll issue a loud metallic screech forewarning you that you need to check your clearance. They will be more forgiving than wheels and the brackets that hold them.

Curb feelers or curb finders are springs or wires installed on a vehicle which act as "whiskers" to alert drivers when they are at the right distance from the curb while parking.

Curb Finders or Feelers for automobiles: The devices are fitted low on the body, close to the wheels. As the vehicle approaches the curb, the protruding feelers scrape against the curb, making a noise and alerting the driver in time to avoid damaging the wheels or hubcaps. The feelers are manufactured to be flexible and do not easily break.
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Rollers standard on my various Silver Streaks. Dads too. Can't remember about the grandparents Streamline. Or, with Avion.

But these trailers have substantial frames. Quite a difference from AS.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote