Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Using an extension one needs to make sure the line of the extension is on the center line of the lug. Deviations from the center line can impact the torque reading.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Using an extension one needs to make sure the line of the extension is on the center line of the lug. Deviations from the center line can impact the torque reading.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Hi

True, but it's pretty tough to get very far off with a 1" extension and a 1 3/4" socket....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
.......If there is grease at the outside bottom edge of your brake drum then removing the center drum cap and pull the drum and bearing assembly off. It is not pleasant, the torque needs a cheater bar to remove the nut, and you have a snap ring that has to be removed before doing all of this......
Ray, if I understand, your bearing nut is so tight that you need a breaker bar to remove?
If so, that nut is tightened WAY too tight, and can cause early bearing failure - perhaps even a hundred miles.
After inspecting, lubing or replacing the bearings, it is important to follow the Dexter instructions for tightening. It ends up with about zero torque.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Mikapen has never dealt with the never lube bearings!!!
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieStrange View Post
Attached should be a picture of one of the hubs on our 17-25' FC. We wanted to ask the forum what this might be. It looks like grease leaking out. The other three do not look like this. We want to be informed before we get it serviced.Attachment 321683
Since the only grease in that area is inside the axle/wheel bearings, I suspect bearing failure is occurring. Page 8-10 in your trailer's Owners Manual mentions this specific issue, and it refers to the Dexter manual about what to do.

You do not want to tow very much before getting it checked/repaired. If the bearing locks up and turns on the axle spindle it can ruin it and could require axle replacement.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
Why of course I have. My comment to Ray was regarding the overtight bearing nut, which is a separate issue from the greasy wheel cap that started this thread - just making note that if the nut is too tight it can wreck the bearings and possibly the spindle or more. A breaker bar to loosen is a red flag!

Regarding the never lube bearings, as previously pointed out here, if the staining on the wheel cap is in fact grease, it's likely that somebody has used too much pressure on the Zerk when lubing, and blew out the inner seal. (Or the cleanup from a previous lube attempt was poorly done.)

That's a probable issue for the brakes, too.

As also mentioned before, it's best to remove the wheel as a first step, then perhaps the brake drum to inspect the inner seal and bearings.
Have a spare seal before you do this - they are widely available and a good thing to have in your "spare" kit.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
storage time

good time to check those seals and bearings and all the other items airstream
LakeState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Hello, your trailer has Never Lube Bearings. Dexter warranty is 3 years. The seals on the bearing has failed. It could be an easy job if your a mechanic. If not take it to any Dexter selling shop.
Do it yourself will require an outside snap ring plier. A 1 5/16 socket and a touch wrench able to reach 150 lb.

FYI Never Lube Bearings have NO grease fitting.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
Actually, despite my recent post, you're correct about Never Lube bearings. I was thinking Easy Lube. Thanks Mike S.
Are Never Lube bearings torqued that much tighter than regular tapered bearings?
Old 09-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikapen View Post
Actually, despite my recent post, you're correct about Never Lube bearings. I was thinking Easy Lube. Thanks Mike S.
Are Never Lube bearings torqued that much tighter than regular tapered bearings?
The spec is 145lb. If I remember correctly
Old 09-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I just took all 4 wheels off our '19 International to have metal valve stems installed.
Which metal valve stems did you use? We purchased new Sendel Wheels and the metals ones we ordered wouldn't fit on those rims (base too wide) and had to use standard rubber ones.
TinVenture is offline   Reply With Quote