Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Craftsman

Unhappy New Wheels and Tires HELP

I just put a new set of Alcoa wheels and tires from a 2004 Airstream on my 1976 Sovereign. The old lug bolts not only don,t look very good on the new rims, they seem to countersink to deep in the aluminum rim. I need new chrome lug bolts with a longer bolt head. I called both Airstream parts and Inland RV, neither were much help. Does anyone know the size, part no.,or any information that would help. I also visited a store that sells nothing but new wheels and they couldn't help.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
How can anyone guess what you bought, and then try to help you?

YOUR DEALING WITH A POSSIBLE SAFETY ISSUE.............

Post a photo or two and then maybe some can help.

aNDY
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jack,

The lugs for an aluminum wheel vs. a steel wheel are VERY different. The tapered lug that holds a steel wheel on normally has no shank, lugs for an Aluminum wheel require a shank, or they will compress the soft aluminum to the point that the wheel will become unsafe/unusable. I would take one of the old lugs to the parts store for thread size match, and look at the lugs for aluminum wheels. You will want to measure the thickness of the wheel to be sure to get ones the correct length. They will need to compress a little. Some of the older mag wheels used a washer between the wheel and the lug, I believe yours do not require it. If you have an Airstream dealer nearby they should be able to tell you what you need, or possibly have them on the shelf.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Craftsman

No Andy, I'm not asking anyone to guess. When I called Inland RV and asked about wheel bolts to fit the lady answering the phone said she asked you while I was on hold and you simply said no you don't carry them. No one asked for any more information. These are the rims, or ones exactly like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	9244  
Old 10-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
Craftsman

New wheels

This is a picture of the new wheels and tires on the Sovereign. When these came up for sale, I bought them because the tires on the Airstream were auto tires. I drove the Airstream home from Michigan (about 600 miles) I know statistically I should be dead and the Airstream scrap aluminum, but believe it or not I made it back. I knew that I had to replace them, and this was a good deal for me and I think for the seller. Since I put them on I haven't moved the trailer, and I won't until I get the proper lug bolts. The Airstream dealer in Delaware is going to order the from the factory.

sorry the photo file size is to large. I'll try and reduce it
Old 10-27-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
Craftsman

wheels?

Hope this comes through
Attached Images