Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would replace that bearing. Did it or any of the others have noticeable end play?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
No end play on any of the wheels. All seemed fine. Brakes still have 1/8" lining. The other hubs had a thick coat of some sort of black grease spread around, I assume used between the spindle and hub so the hub wouldn't rust onto the spindle. With that gap I am left wondering how the Never Lube grease stays inside and working.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What were your observations relative to the color of the anti seize on each of the spindles? Silver? Copper? Or grease?
How about the tight one?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ok, that doesn't sound like anti seize compound. The fatter outer ring is the outside seal of the bearing. If they separated, its likely that seal is compromised. In addition, there is a very thin seal ring between the halves of the inner races.
The whole assembly should slide on and off easily, by hand....almost a "glide"

Old 04-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
How did you check for end play?

Old 04-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #86
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Glad you're on the mend Rich👍

...nothing is for 'never'.
I re-packed once in 17years at 25k, they were still like new when the axles themselves pooped the bed last year, and we insisted on standard bearings when on the 4000lb replacements.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks Robert. Like Gary, my bandaid count was zero. I did break a nail, however.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #88
Rivet Master

As far as end play, I just tried to wiggle the tires and feel for some give. No clicking or subtle movement. The color between hub and spindle was always black. I suspect the difficult bearing the inner race was stuck and may have pulled open the never lube diaphragm as the rest of the hub wanted to pull off. It may have been fine until today, or it may have been slowly leaking lubrication. I'm not thrilled with these bearings.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #89
Rivet Master

My annoyance is that all four brake drums have considerable wear where the electric magnet rubs against the drum. Almost no wear next to the brake shoes on the perimeter. So what to do? Replace one bearing, or replace four drums, bearings, and brake assemblies. I'm leaving in June for a big two month trip. I'm also entering year six of tires. Everything at once..... arrrgge.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
My annoyance is that all four brake drums have considerable wear where the electric magnet rubs against the drum. Almost no wear next to the brake shoes on the perimeter. So what to do? Replace one bearing, or replace four drums, bearings, and brake assemblies. I'm leaving in June for a big two month trip. I'm also entering year six of tires. Everything at once..... arrrgge.
From the pic, I dont think your drums look abnormal. My prior sob had drums and they always scar up. When mine got real bad, after a TON of miles, I did have them resurfaced. Gotta find an old timer that really knows his lathe, but it can be done. I'd replace the one bearing, remove the black stuff on all, and apply a quality anti seize compound.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:48 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll be taking your advice to replace the bearing.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:32 AM   #92
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Jumping in late but when installed and tightened correctly per Nev-R-Libe specs those inside bearing cups no longer have that loose out of the box feel they like observed. That’s when the correct end play is established and with the wheel installed you can check wheel rock/play per directions.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Jumping in late but when installed and tightened correctly per Nev-R-Libe specs those inside bearing cups no longer have that loose out of the box feel they like observed. That’s when the correct end play is established and with the wheel installed you can check wheel rock/play per directions.

Gary
Yes, but 2 things. Out of the box, they are anything but loose. They feel very fully packed with grease and the press fit of the dust rings (called seals by dexter, but they are not) are somewhat tight. After some miles they do loosen up. Yes, the torque of the spindle nut is what provides running clearances.
Here's what bothers me about the drum example above....the only thing that holds the assembly together, out of the box state, are the front and back dust rings. (The item Gary and I drilled and pulled with a screw, above). That ring assembly, cross sectionally, is just 2 separate, "L" shaped rings, nested together. That assembly is only about 1/8" in thickness and it was reported above that the gap shown above between the two inner races was 1/8"+/- .
Did the ring come completely or at least mostly out of its nest? Did it go back in square when torqued? Is it loose in its bore? Is it distorted or crushed in its press fit shoulder?

I am guessing that the poster worked his drum in and out when overcoming the stiction in the spindle interface, causing the outside dust ring to loosen.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #94
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Just smooth out the plate as best you can to minimize magnet ware. My experience...the brake shoes outlive the magnets.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB9248A4-37CB-4175-A1C3-30B177166E95_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	392946  
Old 04-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just a quick update:
I'm all back together and ready to roll with my "road kit" Timken on the axle....BUT....when I orederd a "genuine Dexter" (timken pictured) replacement for my road kit from the Amazon vendor listed above, I received a no name Chinese knockoff. It is of very poor quality, for a number of reasons.
I came out of the chute pretty hot, but this vendor was very nice and knowledgeable, is a Dexter distributor, and was familiar with Airstream axle setups.

He is refunding me, but had some disturbing news and frustration with Dexter. His inventory did in fact come from Dexter and that bearing is what they are using for new axles as well as service stock. He indicated a very high failure rate with the 50mm bearings. Most of his experience is with fleet accounts with the larger and heavier axles.

There is some discussion that Timken has supply chain issues...and down to Dexter.

Anyway, nice honest guy and did turn my heat way down.

So, be advised to call and verify if you are getting a Timken bearing first.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #96
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
He indicated a very high failure rate with the 50mm bearings. Most of his experience is with fleet accounts with the larger and heavier axles.
Just for others that are following, the bearing used in the No. 11 Nev-R-Lube is 76mm OD X 42mm ID X 39mm W

42mm is the bore diameter the 50mm bore fits other applications.

From the supplier "larger and heavier axles."

Rich, message sent.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
York , South Carolina
Red face Bearings

Quote:
While performing my seasonal brake, tire rotate, hub inspections, I found one nevr-lube bearing with quite a bit of play, so I am in the midst of replacing. It appears that it is frozen on the spindle. I've used PB Blaster and a pneumatic air hammer.

Is there something I am missing? I am not sure I can effectively get heat where it need to be.
For info I went too check and my bearings on the new axle that was installed. Only had 10000 miles on the bearings.

Note found 4 out of the 8 bad . They had galled out also replaced the races. Found the manufacture dexter had used cheap Chinese bearings. Replaced with good old USA bearing

Bill
Tinytinkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytinkr View Post
For info I went too check and my bearings on the new axle that was installed. Only had 10000 miles on the bearings.

Note found 4 out of the 8 bad . They had galled out also replaced the races. Found the manufacture dexter had used cheap Chinese bearings. Replaced with good old USA bearing

Bill
8???? Do I assume these were conventional bearings and not the nev-r-lube cartridge bearings?

FYI, that vendor also told me they check every axle (they have hundreds in stock) for proper packing. Said Dexter isn't putting enough grease in their conventional bearing hubs. Does not apply to Nev-r-lube cartridges.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
He also confirmed that if you feel any discernible end play, it's done, get it out soon, before you're by the side of the road. His largest account orders 60 at a time.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
He also confirmed that if you feel any discernible end play, it's done, get it out soon, before you're by the side of the road. His largest account orders 60 at a time.
Rich,

So my brand new axles I put on in October that have zero miles on them, I should check the bearings for proper packing? Not complaining, just asking (a probably dumb) question.

Thanks,
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote