Old 12-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
Never lube bearings

Does the 2019 Sport have the Never Lube Bearings? My manual states in the index in section 6-5 referring to the Nevr Lube Bearings , but yet there is no info there regarding them. Under the maintenance section, there is a section about repacking the wheel bearings. Do I have Nevr Lube bearings or not?

davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Two ways to make sure:

1) pull off a tire and wheel. The hub caps under the fancy chrome covers are stamped Nev-r-lube on mine.

Since it's cold out...

2) Call As with you VIN in hand and ask them what it was produced with.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Not Never Lube bearings. I have the 2019 Sport, and this is one difference that makes the 2020 Caravel a great upgrade
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Thanks for the replies, too cold outside to pull the wheels off to check, so I called AS, and was told no never lube bearings on 22 sport
Old 12-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Hmmm. My 2018 owner's manual states I have never-lube hubs. So did AS change this later in the process?
WBCCI #18673 - of Texas group
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
Hmmm. My 2018 owner's manual states I have never-lube hubs. So did AS change this later in the process?
Tomorrow Iím pulling the wheel to check.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1430.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	357979

Here is the maintenance instructions for the bearings from my manual. Definitely not never lube...
Old 12-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
It warmed up to 35 degrees today ,so I went and pulled the wheel off, No never lube bearings on 2019 22í Sport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5EAE2B40-2104-4B7D-ADE5-E9C131D815CB.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	357992  
Old 12-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Under 25 foot is NOT 'Never Lube'. Seems AS wanted the 22 foot crowd to have to lube their trailers every 10K miles. Really?

I'll never buy from Airstream again. I spent $55K and got the cheapest home in the most expensive neighborhood. SMDH
Old 01-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Under 25 foot is NOT 'Never Lube'. Seems AS wanted the 22 foot crowd to have to lube their trailers every 10K miles. Really?

I'll never buy from Airstream again. I spent $55K and got the cheapest home in the most expensive neighborhood. SMDH

Thatís not accurate. Higher trim than the Sport had never-lube bearings and never-adjust brakes in trailers smaller than 25í. If you wanted a smaller trailer with those features, you could have bought one.

Airstream actually simplified the lines, keeping the single axle trailers to just 2 lines with the same floor plans: Bambi on the least expensive side, and Caravel on the feature rich side. Now there is a clear choice for single axles at distinct price points. I would suggest the price difference between the two heavily favors the Caravel, tons of upgrades for not a ton more money.

If you want a super feature rich trailer at less than 50k, either look to the Nest, or look elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Thatís not accurate. Higher trim than the Sport had never-lube bearings and never-adjust brakes in trailers smaller than 25í. If you wanted a smaller trailer with those features, you could have bought one.

Airstream actually simplified the lines, keeping the single axle trailers to just 2 lines with the same floor plans: Bambi on the least expensive side, and Caravel on the feature rich side. Now there is a clear choice for single axles at distinct price points. I would suggest the price difference between the two heavily favors the Caravel, tons of upgrades for not a ton more money.

If you want a super feature rich trailer at less than 50k, either look to the Nest, or look elsewhere.
Not sure I understand your point at all...not sure why it was important to mention a trailer line (Caravel nor the Nest) that wasnít available in 2017 when I purchased my 22.

My point was, above 25í you get Never lube. In the Sport 22í you donít. Seemed like it would makes sense to be customer-centric and include a feature that keeps customers on the road and out of a dealer service department for wheel packing (considering the high price we paid for our Sports).

In March I will have the NL hubs installed in my Sport 22. End of story.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
In March I will have the NL hubs installed in my Sport 22. End of story.
I don't think you can install Nev-R-Lube hubs to replace traditional tapered bearing/hub assy. The axle shaft is totally different. Changing axles and ordering new with Nev-R-Lube bearings/hub/drum would be req'd.

My rig has Nev-R-Lube bearings the disadvantage that I see to them is uncommon tools req'd and servicing procedures. Classic tapered bearings, channel lock pliers, large flat end punch, good sized hammer and screw driver, shop towels and grease to service. And you're lubing or replacing bearings.

Nev-R-Lube I think it needs an 1 7/16" socket, snap ring pliers small and BIG, shop press or special cartridge bearing service tool kit to R&R a Nev-R-Lube bearing. I have used the tool kit to R&R the same bearing design on my VW. They work.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I don't think you can install Nev-R-Lube hubs to replace traditional tapered bearing/hub assy. The axle shaft is totally different. Changing axles and ordering new with Nev-R-Lube bearings/hub/drum would be req'd...

Gary
Gary please clarify. It appears you just need to order the NL bearings/hub/drum to install. ??

I'll let my service tech make the decision if it is possible/practical.

Options? E-Z Lube with zirc perhaps to keep the disassembly and hand packing to a minimum?

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #14
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mike,

I can't post pics here, used up my allotment.

If you are familiar with the traditional cup cone bearing on a standard trailer axle compare it to this Nev-R-Lube bearing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...AaAnPxEALw_wcB

It has one size ID, this one is 42mm matches my hubs. But the classic cup cone has two bearing sizes and requires that the installer "adjust" the bearing per SOP. But the cartridge bearing is quite different, tighten the crap out of it. Yes there is a spec it's in the Dexter doc's 145-155 lb-ft.

Nev-R-Lube flyer.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=fedb1548_6

Look at page 58 in the doc below, shows a classic cup cone then look at page 59 that's a Nev-R-Lube cross section.
https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...).pdf?sfvrsn=6

Cars from pre front wheel drive had classic cup cone bearings but when front wheel drive took over a new bearing and hub design took over. The cartridge type bearing and hub assy. I bet your pass car has them front and rear and even your pick up has them on the front.

Old school cup cone grease seal hand packed and adjusted bearings are right behind vacuum tube TV's but still extensively used on trailers.

Dexter has an extensive tech library and files.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Mike,
I had the standard cup and cone bearings on SOB travel trailer with a Dexter axle, and they were very easy to service and/or replace. Dexter axle has an excellent YouTube video on servicing or replacing the bearings, using common hand tools. I replaced the bearings annually because I didnít bother cleaning the old ones, as it was easier to pack new bearings. Two sets of wheel bearings for the 22 Sport , including the double lip seals can be purchased for approximately $25.00 at Etrailer plus shipping.
Never lube bearings are convenient when the trailer is new, but when they need to be replaced, it can get pricey. Listen to Gary, stick with what you have.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Gary is correct, at least to my knowledge.

YMMV but a couple seasons ago I decided I wanted never lube on my 23 footer, for several reasons. This feature could not be added on, I had to change out the axles.

IMO, Dexter has excellent customer service, I would suggest that you get the part # from your current axle from the tag that is on it and give them a call. Get all the correct info from the source.

I ordered them fully loaded, thru a Dexter dealer. I waited for about 2 weeks for delivery so I could get them with their regular order which meant I did not have to pay any extra freight charges.

The change has been a positive one for me, never looked back.
Good luck, TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
Gary is correct, at least to my knowledge.

YMMV but a couple seasons ago I decided I wanted never lube on my 23 footer, for several reasons. This feature could not be added on, I had to change out the axles.

IMO, Dexter has excellent customer service, I would suggest that you get the part # from your current axle from the tag that is on it and give them a call. Get all the correct info from the source.

I ordered them fully loaded, thru a Dexter dealer. I waited for about 2 weeks for delivery so I could get them with their regular order which meant I did not have to pay any extra freight charges.

The change has been a positive one for me, never looked back.
Good luck, TB
Thanks Tinbender. That piece of info will help me going forward.

I don't plan to spend any more upgrade $$ on our 22FB and certainly not on swapping out an entire axle assembly. I will continue with routine maintenance $$ at the factory recommended intervals for the foreseeable future.

I'm seeing AS move our Bambi product line into one with more bells and whistles and higher cost. I purchased my 2018 22 at a time prior to the announcement of the Caravel. We visited the Mothership in August 2018 to see the plant. Even then nothing was mentioned about an upgraded single axle rig nor did I see an assembly line for it (22 and 16 are assembled in a different building than the dual axle models). And as most know, the Caravel was rolled out in late 2019. Yes, my dealer has been trying to get me to come in and trade our 22FB in.

I see a Mercedes Sprinter chassis with a ?? brand motorhome in our future. Interstate is too rich for my retirement fund so it will likely be a different manufacturer - and there are many out there today - many well built self-contained systems. Till then, we continue to enjoy the Sport 22FB.

Thanks for the info. Have a great day.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
When I pulled the wheel and chrome cap to see what type of bearings, never lube or cup and cone, I noticed there was no cover over on the end of the axle to cover the bearings. As you can see from my previously posted picture, this is what it looked like when I pulled the wheel and cover. Is that large chrome cap sufficient to protect the bearings, or should I also put a standard cap to cover the end of the axle?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by davincent View Post
When I pulled the wheel and chrome cap to see what type of bearings, never lube or cup and cone, I noticed there was no cover over on the end of the axle to cover the bearings. As you can see from my previously posted picture, this is what it looked like when I pulled the wheel and cover. Is that large chrome cap sufficient to protect the bearings, or should I also put a standard cap to cover the end of the axle?
Good lord no. There should be a hup cap covering the bearings and spindle.
Check the rest of.them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Quote:

that's good. your Airstream will last very long time! No need to buy again.

I do enjoy maintenance on brakes and bearings. Takes my mind off the modern world.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote