Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2023, 12:28 PM   #1

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Bonita Springs , Florida
Nev R lube bearings

I have 2013 27’ FC that has about 75 K miles on it.
I wonder every time I hit the road if my Nev R Lube bearings are OK. I was told once they are good for 120 K miles w/o any service. My question is: Do I just keep running until there is a problem . Would much rather be pro active if that’s recommended.
And some RVers said switch to other bearings and get rid of the Nev R Lube ones.
Am I being too anxious about this??
Thanks. Frank O
Flyfsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:40 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I don't have an answer to your questions but would like to know as well. So I'm following.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I too don't know the answer to the original question, but in PA, we have to have our rigs inspected annually.

I just had my rig inspected today. We pulled two wheels, checked brakes, everything went smooth. Noah did the job, he's pretty good. (Hans, same place as last year did the inspection!)

He commented on the timken bearings, stating that he liked them better than any other. All looked fine, see ya next year

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:59 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Frank,

Lots of confusion regarding the Nev-R-Lube. I have them on my 2007 and have also replaced them in spare hubs as mine has disc brakes, These hubs are for carry spares, never for a road failure so far.

You cannot change from Nev-R-Lube bearings to old school trailer bearings on a Nev-R-Lube axle. The spindle size and design is unique and not interchangeable. The only way to abandon the Nev-R-Lube would be a complete axle replacement.

Dexter does offer a lot of info about their stuff, I've attached a Nev-R-Lube intro page with their inspection criteria.

And this is a thread I did that may offer some insight as to what's behind the drum. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-r-224416.html

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 202205_059-Z18-00_Nev-R-LubeInstructionSheet.pdf (191.0 KB, 112 views)
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Interesting thread, following.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Following. I have the same question.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
And just for grins anyone interested or concerned about the bearings in almost all front wheel drive pass cars and pick up trucks?

Look up your vehicles front wheel bearings in your favorite auto parts online catalog. See that hub unit? Inside is a version of the same bearing idea. Back to back tapered sealed bearing unit frequently with ABS and lots of $$$ built into it. Not greasable and in one form or another replaced as an assembly.

Several years ago I replaced the front wheel bearings in my super commuter 2000 VW Bug 1.9L TDI same design same R&R. FWIW it’s approaching 460K on the clock.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 08-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I'll add a few comments on this. I have a 2015 28FC with Nev R lube bearings. I at least annually pull the wheels and check brakes and bearings by doing a visual check and doing the pulling test to check if there is any slop in the bearings. Also visual check for grease that has escaped. My rig currently has right at 160,000 miles pulled on it.

A couple of years ago on the way to Quartzite I had a failure of one the Nev R Lube bearings outside of the Midland Odessa area in TX. (Had just checked in Dec, this was January) Being in a major oilfield area with tons of trailer repair facilities I felt good that repair would be fairly easy. Wrong. Nobody in that area or surrounding areas carried these bearings. After finding a new hub, brake backing plate and paying for priority shipping, I was able to have it repaired and was on the road again 4 days later. The repair guys said that if I had regular bearings, would have been hours. So with that it mind, ordered 4 new Nev r lube bearings and pressed inn new ones to the three other hubs when I returned home and kept the fourth as a spare.

This year in March, on the way back from Big Bend I noticed an increase in temperature in the hub that was replaced. We were about 100 miles from home so drove on. Got home and to storage facility and basically pulled the tire and wheel off of the trailer. The Nev R Lube had failed again. At that point since same axle decided I'll just change axles. Called Colin Hyde to order axles. He is by most considered to be the axle guru for Airstreams. In taking to him, he advised he will not even order Dexter axles with the Nev R Lube. If I wanted them, suggests order elsewhere. So, with my experience and this comment ordered two new axles with the EZ Lube, traditional bearing set up and installed them back in April.
New axles, total with brakes and bearings for $925 ea. One Nev R Lube bearing about, give or take $140 each and can't be found on the road.

I think overall the bearings are fine. However, its a fine line in determining if they are about to fail or not and if they do, its difficult if not impossible to get serviced on the road. The ones on mine now can be found at just about any auto parts or trailer supply store around. Still recommend regular review and maintenance and carry an infrared temp gun to check the wheel and hub temps at every stop.

Hope this provided some information on my experience. Safe travels to all.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
Never Lube bearings failed on my 2017 Classic at about 80k miles, a grease fire occurred which I was able to put out without damage to the trailer but the inner bearing race welded to the axle and the axle had to be replaced . Dexter axle would not warranty the axle. When we inspected the front axle bearings one was about to fail, I replaced the the two front hubs and bearings. The current Airstream price for the hubs with the bearing is $799 per hub. I plan to replace the hubs/bearings every 4-5 years
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:51 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
And a little bit deeper.

Last Sept I ordered a show and tell bearing for my seminar at Alumalina on Nev-R-Lube. This is the 3rd one I've bought. Two are in spare hubs one for buddy Tom and one for me plus the show and tell part.

All have been Timken SET49 with the last one for $46 from Summit. This is a link to Rock Auto just for show. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l+bearing,1672 My point is is that this is a common part available over the counter or in most cases a few hours or overnight by the brick and mortar automotive aftermarket.

They list about 7 brands that I have known in my automotive aftermarket career and my personal use including the SET49.

OK these do need special R&R procedures and I outlined them in my link above. So now you're on the road facing a replacement and getting blank stares from the counterman.

Ask them to look up the front wheel bearing for a 2010 PT Cruiser, pick the best one they have and then get it installed CORRECTLY that means the correct press IN tool that only contacts the OD of the bearing and then tighten to 145-155 Lb-ft on the axle.

I can't blame Dexter, Airstream or any RV parts house for any we're the only game in town and we set the price, take it or leave it but its a common design just a bit hidden by house part numbers and that the JRM4249 seen on the seal is not a complete Timken part number, only the first 7 numbers and missing the last four but SET49 covers the aftermarket, not OE customers. My career was in the automotive aftermarket and I did learn a little bit about how to look behind the curtain for searches. http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/ Type in SET49 in the Part Search window.

Gary
Old 08-03-2023, 11:57 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
And just for grins anyone interested or concerned about the bearings in almost all front wheel drive pass cars and pick up trucks?

Look up your vehicles front wheel bearings in your favorite auto parts online catalog. See that hub unit? Inside is a version of the same bearing idea. Back to back tapered sealed bearing unit frequently with ABS and lots of $$$ built into it. Not greasable and in one form or another replaced as an assembly.

Gary
The auto industry has used this kind of bearing for at least 3 decades.

The difference between passenger vehicles and trailers is weight and position.
Typically the weight of many travel trailers (especially newer ones) is they weigh more than passenger vehicles. In fact as passenger vehicles have gotten lighter to make them more furel efficient. Recreational travel trailers have gotten heavier as customer demand is for more convienence items. Which add weight.

The pther factor is the location of the wheels and wheel bearings. A passenger vehicle has the tire/wheel assembly located near the corners of the the vehicle. A travel trailer has all wheels grouped in the center of the vehicle. And because there is no steering wheels, the forces on wheel bearings during a turn are greater than the front wheel bearings in a passenger vehicle.

Action
Old 08-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
And a little bit deeper.

Last Sept I ordered a show and tell bearing for my seminar at Alumalina on Nev-R-Lube. This is the 3rd one I've bought. Two are in spare hubs one for buddy Tom and one for me plus the show and tell part.

All have been Timken SET49 with the last one for $46 from Summit. This is a link to Rock Auto just for show. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l+bearing,1672 My point is is that this is a common part available over the counter or in most cases a few hours or overnight by the brick and mortar automotive aftermarket.

They list about 7 brands that I have known in my automotive aftermarket career and my personal use including the SET49.

OK these do need special R&R procedures and I outlined them in my link above. So now you're on the road facing a replacement and getting blank stares from the counterman.

Ask them to look up the front wheel bearing for a 2010 PT Cruiser, pick the best one they have and then get it installed CORRECTLY that means the correct press IN tool that only contacts the OD of the bearing and then tighten to 145-155 Lb-ft on the axle.

I can't blame Dexter, Airstream or any RV parts house for any we're the only game in town and we set the price, take it or leave it but its a common design just a bit hidden by house part numbers and that the JRM4249 seen on the seal is not a complete Timken part number, only the first 7 numbers and missing the last four but SET49 covers the aftermarket, not OE customers. My career was in the automotive aftermarket and I did learn a little bit about how to look behind the curtain for searches. http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/ Type in SET49 in the Part Search window.

Gary

This is great information. Thank you Gary. Wish I had known this or someone along the line had passed on this type of information. I'm saving this information. I'm an RV tech as well and find this to be great information. Thanks again.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:35 AM   #13
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
And a little bit deeper.

Gary
Gary,

Are you planning to do another seminar including this issue at Alumalina this year (2023)?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 06:55 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Aluminapalooza 2023

Quote:
And a little bit deeper.

Gary
Gary, are you going to be in JC less than a month from now?
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
At the International in Rock Springs, the Dexter people had a great presenter on this very subject. He advised lubrication maintenance be done on new axles at 10,000 miles and then you would be good to go. I asked the presenter (Phil, I think) where I could go to have this maintenance done? He told me to find a really "fancy" or highbrow horse trailer dealership/service facility to get it done. Huh? He told me that they are selling very expensive horse trailers that are transporting million dollar racehorses. They service them with great care as there's a lot 'riding on those wheels.'
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 04:08 PM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Gary,

Are you planning to do another seminar including this issue at Alumalina this year (2023)?
Hans,

Can't make it this year, blame the two new grandbabies due just in time to lock us down.

This is a link to the doc's I referenced in last years seminar, might find some good stuff there.

MMCMRET

"Gary, are you going to be in JC less than a month from now?"

I'd like to get back to the Buckeye our home state but no not going.

Gary

Gary
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f28...ml#post2641104
Old 08-04-2023, 04:16 PM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
At the International in Rock Springs, the Dexter people had a great presenter on this very subject. He advised lubrication maintenance be done on new axles at 10,000 miles and then you would be good to go. I asked the presenter (Phil, I think) where I could go to have this maintenance done? He told me to find a really "fancy" or highbrow horse trailer dealership/service facility to get it done. Huh? He told me that they are selling very expensive horse trailers that are transporting million dollar racehorses. They service them with great care as there's a lot 'riding on those wheels.'
PatLee,

The Nev-R-Lube is a sealed unit, disassembly = destruction. So lube maintenance can only be inspection as outlined in Dexter info linked previously. The seals used are really different from traditional bearings. The seal has WARNING DO NOT DISASSEMBLE imprinted it.

Pic is of one after disassembly just to show components.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nev R Lube.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	435027  
Old 04-16-2024, 02:58 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Hutto , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
The auto industry has used this kind of bearing for at least 3 decades.

The difference between passenger vehicles and trailers is weight and position.
Typically the weight of many travel trailers (especially newer ones) is they weigh more than passenger vehicles. In fact as passenger vehicles have gotten lighter to make them more furel efficient. Recreational travel trailers have gotten heavier as customer demand is for more convienence items. Which add weight.

The pther factor is the location of the wheels and wheel bearings. A passenger vehicle has the tire/wheel assembly located near the corners of the the vehicle. A travel trailer has all wheels grouped in the center of the vehicle. And because there is no steering wheels, the forces on wheel bearings during a turn are greater than the front wheel bearings in a passenger vehicle.

Action
Hi are you implying that the set49 from say timken bearing is not a direct replacement for the bearing in the Dexter neverlube kit ?
Eswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:38 AM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswaroop View Post
Hi are you implying that the set49 from say timken bearing is not a direct replacement for the bearing in the Dexter neverlube kit ?
No.

My post you quoted is about the overall picture of wheel bearing technology.
The automotive industry moved to sealed wheel bearings long ago. Trailer makers are just starting the practice.
And there are some other differences between the two applications as well.

Action