Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #1

1972 25' Tradewind
union , Missouri
Need spare wheel!

I have a 1972 25ft. trade-wind. I need a wheel so I can have a spare. Does anybody know where I can find a used or reasonably priced wheel? What works... it doesn't have to be an "authentic" wheel. Does anybody know the bolt pattern, rim width, and the offset? Also, did this unit come with a spare from the factory and if so, where does it mount?
AJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums!
Most two axle coaches did not come factroy equipped with a spare tire mounted. The theory is that if you have a flat, you can remove that tire, and limp to a point of repair at reduced speed on three wheels. Airstream sells steel wheels that should fit your coach, they are 6x5 1/2" bolt pattern, and should be zero offset. If you can't gete one from Airstream, you can check Inland RV, they have new wheels also, for about the same price as the factory.
Now, if you just want "one that works", you can get a 15x7 wheel, with the above bolt pattern and offset, in the proper weight rating (should be 2500 pound capacity, IIRC) from Redneck Trailers. They have a website, and you can order one from them. It will be a wagon spoke type wheel, but a spare is a spare.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #3

1972 25' Tradewind
union , Missouri
Thanks for the help! You're quick and you're good!
AJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

You can also get a OEM style wheel at ....

http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.co...de=A-WH156-60E

Note its a 15 x 6 on 5 1/2 center and is rated at 2600 # for $41.

Dexstar makes them and Redneck is also a supplier. In fact if you order from Lowcost... it comes in a box from Redneck Trailer Supply. In our area (NW FL) NAPA also deals with Redneck so you can order them there. And most important for the earlier Airstreams they also have a dogdish hubcap that fits this wheel for about $8.00.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
A stock Chevy or GMC 1/2 ton pickup wheel has the same bolt pattern ( 6 bolt ) . You will have to ream out the center hole slightly ( approx. 1/32 ) for the hub to fit . You won't be able to use the center hub from an alum wheel , but it is just a spare . Junk yard specials for a few bucks . Trial fit before you count on it . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Question

ticki2,
What is the weight rating or capacity for those wheels?
What about the factory mags that come on those trucks - will they work, and what are their capacity?
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
ticki2,
What is the weight rating or capacity for those wheels?
What about the factory mags that come on those trucks - will they work, and what are their capacity?
Sorry , don't know the exact weight rating of the GM wheels . I do know that a GM 1/2 ton pickup has a GVWR over 6000# which is more than a 25' tradewind
Not sure about the mags ( alum) . I think most of those came in 16". It's been my limited experience that after market wheels don't have enough back set ( stick out too far )
The one I found fits exactly like my original alum wheels , lines up front to back . One nice thing about GM wheels is that the 6 bolt pattern stayed the same . It sure would be great to find a GM alum rim with the correct width and back set.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I have one off a 1967, come and get it.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Les Schwabb in WA state showed me a few choices, one of which was aluminum for under 50 dollars a wheel.

I would assume that most good tire co's would have something intelligent to suggest.

Give it a try.....

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Les Schwab

Jimmy,

Be sure to speak to the wheel expert at your local LS. While all of their people are fairly well trained, some are not that up to date on the load rating of their wheels! Better be safe than sorry. (from direct experience with LS)
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Sorry , don't know the exact weight rating of the GM wheels . I do know that a GM 1/2 ton pickup has a GVWR over 6000# which is more than a 25' tradewind
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating may be over 6000 pounds. That means the wheel rating will be less than that. It is not anticipated that one wheel will have to support the entire truck. I would guess the wheel rating to be between 2000 and 3000 pounds. So it may work and then again .......... (Clint Eastwood) "did I shoot 5 times or 6? Do you feel lucky?"

For used wheels this is a shop I have been to.
http://www.azrvinc.com

They will have more than wheels.

Also there are other places. Colaws RV in Carthage Missouri. It is 200+ miles from you, and the drive may be worth it. Lot closer than AZ.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Used Wheels

Using a "USED" wheel, without knowing it's history, is "NOT" a good idea.

In fact, since your life "could" depend on it, it's a very bad idea.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's only for a spare.

Baloney!!!!

Sooner or later, it will placed in service, and then the fun "could" begin.

What is the history and "weight" rating of a used wheel????

As an example, unless you have the wheel magna-fluxed, it may already have invisible to the eye, cracks in it.

Could it have been in service and subjected to severe vibration, or a roll over??? Of course it could have.

Wheels are like an insurance policy. A used wheel goes for $20.00 or so. A new wheel is $50.00 to $75.00 each.

How can someone even consider jeopardizing him and his family for the sake of $ 50.00, is beyond my reasoning in terms of safety.

The wheels could be your life.

Your family and innocent others, will love you for it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Action , I believe a '75 Tradewind has 4 wheels also , it seems the same reasoning would apply.

Andy , as soon as you mount a wheel and travel on it , it becomes a used wheel . How many miles or years can you expect to be safe before you magnaflux them or replace them?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
ticki2

You are absolutely correct.

However, you know the history of that wheel.

But you "do not" know the history of a used wheel, that you purchased from another party. That then, becomes the problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Action , I believe a '75 Tradewind has 4 wheels also , it seems the same reasoning would apply.
Correct. 6000 divided by 4 = 1500. No one builds them to handle the limit. They are built to handle the limit plus a safety margin. And some abuse. Trailer wheels are subjected to different load patterns than a vehicle. A vehicle has the wheels and axles spread far apart. The travel trailer has the axles very close together.

I do know vehicle wheels are not rated for 2600 pounds, untill you get specialty wheels or the vehicle is like a 3/4 ton truck or larger. The 2600 pound rating I get from Indland RV. My understanding of it is all wheels for all Airstreams require the 2600 pound rating. If that is true, I would be extremely hesitant of using a car or light truck wheel unless I knew it met that #.

On the used versus new ..... call me reckless, I would have no issues of using a used wheel from a wrecking yard off an RV. In fact I have one. If anyone has an issue with that I will give you my trailer plate # and if you see it you can steer clear should you wish. Sure I don't know the history. And I didn't know the history of the other 4 wheels on the trailer when I picked it up in Indiana and pulled it to Arizona. It might have been risky and I am willing to take the risk. I take risk every day when I get in a car and drive to work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We picked up our spare wheel and tire already mounted and ready for service from Tractor Supply. The very next trip we had a blow out and had to use it. Whew, that was nice to have.