Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Lug Nut Socket Help...

Ok so I searched this Forum but couldn't find the exact info I need. And my AS is in storage so I turn to you for help.

I recently had all four of my original tires replaced so frequent and proper torque on the wheels has my attention since we are heading out next week.

Here is what I know, and maybe you guys can fill in the rest:

I have a '05 Safari with Aluminum wheels
proper torque per my owners handbook is 110-120 lbs
I need to buy the appropriate torque wrench because my current one is up to 80 lbs.
I've read on other posts I'll need a 3-6" extender to clear the wheels.
Which one is it? 3" or 6”?
I assume the torque wrench I'll buy will be a ½” drive and I don't own any ½” sockets and really don't need a whole set so...
WHAT size socket fits the lugs on these wheels?
WHAT is the proper depth to fit my lug nuts?

Greatly appreciate your input....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
I've read on other posts I'll need a 3-6" extender to clear the wheels.
Which one is it? 3" or 6”?
Hi AZstreamin,

Get a 6" or even a 10" extension.
I don't want to venture a guess as to the size of the socket,lots of variables.

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Lug nuts take a 3/4" socket. Get a six-sided; it has less tendency to round the lug nut than a twelve-sided. I use a 4" extension on the torque wrench with a 1/2" drive. I also have a six and a ten inch extension, and find the four inch easier to handle. The larger extensions have a tendency to get off center. I have the same wheels as you do.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It is either a 3/4" OR a 13/16" nut, depending on nut type, wheels, axle rating, etc. The best course of action is to buy a single 1/2" drive 3/4"x13/16" flip socket (different size on either end), and a 6" long 1/2" extension, and be done with it. They are available from most auto parts stores, and Sears locations. I say either because our trailer has 13/16" lug nuts, but several Airstream coaches I have worked on have had 3/4" nuts, this way you cover both bases, and will be able to fit replacement lug nuts, if they have a different hex, without buying another socket.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
The larger extensions have a tendency to get off center.
Very true, but you can gently support the head of the torque wrench with the palm of your other hand without affecting the accuracy. I need the 10" to clear the body and save them knuckles.

Mark
Old 08-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Torque wrench

Swing by sears and grab a dial in handle wrench. I have a 3/4 drive. You turn a knob that sets your torques setting. It'll click when they are torqued. When done reset the knob to zero or you will take the wrench out of adjustment.

Extension: I use a three inch one because there is a formula with torque wrenches and the length of the extension plays a part. The shorter the extension the less the affect on actual torque reading. A three inch extension in nominal on the formula.

Socket: Get a deep socket IMHO. Easier all around.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Ask and you shall receive

Thank you torquers for the input I'll buy one tomorrow. One other question.. The other torque wrench I bought a couple of months ago for my equal-i-zer hitch adjustments was an inexpensive dial torque wrench from a store like AutoZone. It was $35 or $40. I have an appreciation for high-end products and I know these cheap tools are not US made like Craftsman or Snap-on for the serious mechanic. I also appreciate the ‘you get what you pay for’ statement so with all of that said, for this lug nut application, and that is likely the only thing this wrench will be used for, it will stay in the AS along with my other dedicated AS tools. Is a basic no name brand torque wrench like I mentioned above accurate and appropriate for this job? Or am I just over analyzing something that doesn't need analysis?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

Old 08-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
I also appreciate the ‘you get what you pay for’ statement so with all of that said, for this lug nut application, and that is likely the only thing this wrench will be used for, it will stay in the AS along with my other dedicated AS tools.
You can't beat a Craftsman 1/2" drive, "click style" for about $70
Click image for larger version

Name:	00944595000.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	25227

Mark
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I find the Harbor Freight torque wrench at $13 does fine for this job
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=239
Mine came with a nice carrying case that will hold the extension and the socket.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
My ’06 Safari had 3/4” Lug nuts. But the nuts have a chrome sheet metal cap or covering, probably for cosmetic reasons. First time I attempted to remove a leaking tire I did not use a deep socket. That was a mistake because I stripped that covering off the real lug nut. The real steel nut is a somewhat smaller odd ball size (I don’t have the exact size at this time.) Anyway I just jammed the metal cap back on and removed the nut with a deep socket. When the time comes to replace the tires, I’ll replace all those dumb lug nut with simple one-piece high quality lug nuts.

BTW: My new Suburban has black plastic caps on all 32 lug nuts, which requires 140 ft.lb. of torque. They better hold up under the stress of sheer force. I added a Harbor Freight torque wrench to my tool box and it appears to work well.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
You can't beat a Craftsman 1/2" drive, "click style" for about $70
Attachment 25227

Mark
I concur with Mark. I had little experience with torque wenches but had Craftsman tools. The one Mark recommends works well for the wheels. I believe my owner's manual on 2006 says torque to 95 lbs.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
You may want to consider what the torque rating is for your TV also , it's probably higher than the trailer . This way you will only need one . TV wheels should be checked periodically too , or when rotating tires
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Hi AZstreaming- -It appears your questions were answered and with good advice. But here is a related question: How does the average guy with the ordinary collection of tools calibrate a torque wrench? Can we Airstreamers be sure that we are torquing the nuts correctly and measuring that torque accurately?

Other than using a system of weights, a pull and a lever arm against a scale or some kind. Or perhaps connecting it to another torque wrench, which we know is calibrated. I don’t mean to answer my own question, but…..

It seams that another question has appeared which is: Is an under $20 torque wrench just a good as a $70 one if we can ensure that both can be calibrated and adjusted to do the job within spec? Or is it best to fall back on the “You get what you pay for” and assume the retail price should be primary and prudent criteria? The actual manufacturing locations and costs are unknowns and might not matter if the objective is to accurately torque the lug nuts to the spec.
I bet someone on the forum knows how to calibrate a torque wrench.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i have three of the old fashioned moving arm type of torque wrenches.

they work just fine and will not suffer if dropped! i'm more of a rock and stick guy when it comes to these things. simple is sometimes better.

john
Old 08-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
Is an under $20 torque wrench just a good as a $70 one if we can ensure that both can be calibrated and adjusted to do the job within spec?
JStanley....you see this is what I was driving at.... or torquin' at in this case...
The Harbor Freight torque wrench for $12.99 sounds like a darn good deal to me their website says:

Click-stop type accurate within +/- 4%

So if that is correct the range for my wheels in the manual is 110-120 lbs
So I'm thinking set it to 115 lbs let her rip and listen for the click
if it is:
minus 4% my calculator says that’s 4.6 so that would be 110.4 lbs on the light side
plus 4% would be 119.6 lbs on the heavy side.....

Unless my math is wrong that still is within mfg spec....life time warranty on a $12.99 wrench sounds pretty good to me.....

somebody tell me if I'm wrong... I'll gladly spend more for safety especially if it's proven to be needed....if not I'd rather save my duckets.... still need to spend $2,000 on generators......and that is just one of the items on the wish list

Old 08-26-2006, 08:25 PM   #16
_

. , .
hi azstreamin'

this harbor freight model is basically the same one sold at autozone. the one you purchased there also has a lifetime warranty and autozone should have automatically registered that wrench at purchase. find your receipt.

napa and some wallyworlds carry this model/warranty. lots easier to return to one of these chain vendors than harbor freight...imo. i'm sure somebody will disagree with this observation.....

and why not buy the socket and extension on the same receipt? i wrapped my reciept around the wrench shaft and covered it with duck tape....so instead of it failing...i'll lose it!

they are all +-4%...in this price range....which is fine. infact some of the more expensive wrenches are less accurate.... 3-4 inch extension is plenty long IF you also get the long 3/4 inch socket.

as for torque values....this thread has got the real goods....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=torque

and a table in post 81 for all common a/s wheels/lugs/torque.

i agree get a socket for the t.v. too.
my ford is 165ft/lbs and the wrench only goes to 150...
but with the + side margin of error....
i'm covered..

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
I Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
I bet someone on the forum knows how to calibrate a torque wrench.
I know how to calibrate a torque wrench, on page 7 of the operating instructions it says " Calibration Service is available by returning your wrench to the nearest Sears store" .

BTW, unless abused, the wrench should be checked every 10,000 cycles.

Mark
Old 08-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

as for torque values....this thread has got the real goods....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=torque

and a table in post 81 for all common a/s wheels/lugs/torque.
2air.... I followed that thread for a while and must have missed it on the tail end.. that is a great chart.... solves the ol' how much to torque debate real quick...How do we get one of the manuals for the forum? Post the whole thing in PDF... With that kind of information there would be no tech questions this forum would become all off topic
thanks for the heads-up

Old 08-27-2006, 04:46 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

For me, What you pay is the upper limit of what you will get
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello everyone ,the beam type torque wrenches are pretty accurate.The click type like the snap on ones I use for work are great,but way too much money
for just checking or torquing lug nuts.When torquing or checking the lugs,
if the wrench gives a click or the beam reads correctly on the scale ,Don't
give it an little more for good measure ,as each good measure tweek ,the
lug nut gets, the more over tightened it will be.When you get up into the
higher torque ranges ,like 110 ft lbs ,a 1/4 turn more can yield 130 ft lbs
easily,We all know that there isn't some wiggle room on the torque of lugs.
They don't need too be" sinched up " if they are at the rated torque specs.
It is easy to pull the wrench a bit more when torquing.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote