Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lug bolts for amuminum wheels

OK I have most of the details on the availability of aluminum wheels for my 1976 31' Airstream. I can get new Alcoa wheels from Airstream for $209 each plus $20 each for the hub cover. Shipping and tax extra. Southwest wheel also has an Alcoa aluminum wheel that will work for around $137 each plus $20 each for the hub cover. There are also other wheels from American racing and another distributor that will work also.

Now on to the lugs. My 1976 A/S has lug bolts not lug nuts. I have heard that Airstream has chrome plated lug botls available but I have not been able to confirm this. Has anyone come up with the chrome lug bolts for the 70's model Airstream?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Question What about wheel studs

I have found a supplier that has 1/2 x 20 RH thread screw in wheel studs. According to them the whell stud replaces the lug bolt and then you can use a 60 degree conical seat chjrome lug nut.

Whats the view on going with wheel studs along these lines.

Don
Old 04-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Craftsman

Don,
I have Alcoa wheels and new lug bolts from Airstream. They are not chrome, at least if they are it's a lousy job. When I called Airstream and explained the situation they acted like this was a problem that they had never encountered before.After a number of phone calls and people getting back to me, they gave me what they said was the correct part number, I ordered them from an Airstream dealer and they turned out to be the same lug bolts used for the steel wheels. Very frustrating. I also would prefer to have the studs and chrome acorn nuts. Who is the supplier,( they seem to know more than the parts people at Airstream) and how much are they?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Lug Nuts

I got my wheels from WWW>trailer-parts-forless.com and they are Inkie (Sp) wheels. I ran a search and called them and they sent me stainless lug nuts. You might try running a search for Alco and see if they can get you some good lugs and studs for your set up.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Here is what I receided from Prestige Tire concerning the lug studs and lug nuts. Don

Part # is 2803 Screw in studs. Then choose the the lug nut
needed. Most likely 5300 part 3. If it is 8 lug I would use the heavier lug
5250L . These lugs are for conical seat wheels either steel or aluminum.
Let me know if I can help you further. Thanks

http://www.prestigewheel.com/

sales@prestigewheel.com
Old 04-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
I'd recommend McGard Wheel installation Kit designed for long term use. They are guaranteed for life and are the recognized leader in aftermarket lug nuts. There are many nuts cheaper but these stand the test of time. A set for four, 6-lug wheels runs about $40-45 USD depending on where you purchase them. The kit comes complete with everything necessary including the 'key' to unlock the locking lug for each wheel. (Kit # 84630 covers four, 6-lug wheels with a thread size of 1/2"x20tpi.)

Make sure the studs you purchase are designed as wheel studs, not simply 1/2"x20 studs.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
Craftsman

O.K, I don't recommend the lug bolts as recommended by Airstream (at least in response to my phone calls to them) I had a wheel come off while transporting my 76 Sovereign to our new house this morning.. Lucky for me that no one got hurt, although there was a car behind me and one coming from the opposite direction. The wheel well trim and some of the aluminum was damaged. The problem seems to be the the bolt head is so recessed in the wheel that you can't get a good grip on it with a socket or lug wrench. Read my earlier post in this thread. I didn't think these wheel bolts were right even though the EXPERTS at Airstream said that they were.They didn't recommend or even mention trading out the bolts for wheel studs and the acorn nuts.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
O.K, I don't recommend the lug bolts as recommended by Airstream (at least in response to my phone calls to them) I had a wheel come off while transporting my 76 Sovereign to our new house this morning.. Lucky for me that no one got hurt, although there was a car behind me and one coming from the opposite direction. The wheel well trim and some of the aluminum was damaged. The problem seems to be the the bolt head is so recessed in the wheel that you can't get a good grip on it with a socket or lug wrench. Read my earlier post in this thread. I didn't think these wheel bolts were right even though the EXPERTS at Airstream said that they were.They didn't recommend or even mention trading out the bolts for wheel studs and the acorn nuts.
Nope thats not the problem.

If you switch to a Aluminum wheel you really need to SAND the hub surface where the y rim bolt down to smooth. Then recheck torque every 50 miles till you no longer find loose lugs and the rim has seated to the hub then check every 100 till you are sure they are no longer coming loose.

I found this out when I had a rim with a 35 inch tire on it come loose at 65mph. The 90lb wheel did $1600 damage to the side of a For Ranger it hit. Guy at BFG I know told me this procedure. Sure enough when I put new Aluminum rims on my Tow vehicle I was finding them loose at 50 miles.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote