Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
HowieE,

The link you provided shows 8 bolt series 4 wheels which have a -8mm offset. In several other threads, you said you bought 6 bolt series 4 wheels with a +5mm offset. So what did you buy?

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
HowieE,
The link you provided shows 8 bolt series 4 wheels which have a -8mm offset. In several other threads, you said you bought 6 bolt series 4 wheels with a +5mm offset. So what did you buy?
Barry
From time to time the vendor must have changed the feature wheel at the top of the page. The link is good but you have to scroll down the page to the 4th from the bottom of the page to see what I purchased.

Now I must say I have had those wheels for about a year and a half and they are showing signs of the clear coat failing. There are other threads on this forum that discuss this issue. I can not say if there is a manufacture out there that does not have this problem but I am not a happy camper to have spent that kind of money. The picture is typical of all 6 wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0282.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	70933  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
HowieE,

I am now even more confused. The fourth from the bottom show a 0 offset. You said on 7-29-08 that you bought a 16" with a +5mm offset. If 6 bolts and series 4 that makes sense. 3900 lbs and -8mm offset is for 8 bolts. Do you have 6 or 8 bolts?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The page may have changed again.
This is the description of my wheel.

Aluminum Trailer Wheel Style: SERIES #04 Size: 16 x 6 HD Bolt Pattern: 8 x 6.5 Bore Size: 4.90 Load Rating: 3960 lbs @ 110 PSI Offset: -8mm

It is the one featured at the top of the page. The cost was $105.00

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Welcome to the forums Diane. Good luck...and BTW, I think the vintage Bambi's are the neatest little Airstreams!
Tom - Wait until you get to see Diane's Bambi !! She's really tricked it out beautifully and made it her own!!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I switched to 16 in wheels and Michelin LT 225 75 16 tires about 2 years ago. The wheels I bought were
Aluminum Trailer Wheel Style: SERIES #04 Size: 16 x 6HD Bolt Pattern: 8 x 6.5 Bore Size: 4.90 Load Rating: 3960 lbs @ 110 PSI Offset: -8mm
They were recommended for clearance on an Airstream with these tires with a -8mm offset. They are a 3900 lbs. wheel
Can somebody explain to this dumbie (on tires at least) the meaning of zero offset wheels & tires, and the potential effect of going against the conventional wisdom of the zero offset by installing the 8mm offset, AND
I need to better understand what happens when one goes from 15" to 16". Does that wheel & tire size fit the Airstream wheelwells?

I sure do like the idea of being able to get Michelin tires on my trailer(s)!!!! I've only had one blow out with the OEM Marathons with no trailer damage (thanks to a nice trucker & CB radios) and am now on my second set of them, but . . Marathon vs. Michelin? That seems to me like a true no brainer if doing so CAN NOT damage any aspect of the trailer!!

Thanks for any input - I sure need it. I'm right at the point of choosing a new axle for the '54 Cruiser, and want to get this right the 1st time.

Jim
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Eagle Alloy wheels

I went with the Eagle alloy 16" wheels and BF Goodrich tires outlined below. I have about 4,000 miles on these tires and wheels without any problems. The tires still look great no unusual ware . The wheels look great. I have also included the information on the wheel studs that I used since the 1976 Airstream had lug bolts. I seated the studs with lockthite and they worked without a problem. I have since replaced my axles so I am not useing the wheel studs anymore.

The Tires are BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT225/75R16/E. Adjust the PSI to match the weight of your trailer.

BFGoodrich Tires | Commercial T/A® All Season | Tire Sizes & Specs

The wheels are from Eagle Alloy
0589-7766 16X7 6 on 5.5 +8 offset

Eagle Alloy Wheels Series 058

My 1976 A/S had wheel bolts so I needed to convert them to wheel studs so that I could use the proper Chrome lug nuts. I got the 1/2" wheel studs from E-Trailer and also used Permatex Locktite Red High Strenght Threadlocker.

Replacement Wheel Stud, Screw-In, 1/2" x 2" 25-53 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

I used Gorilla chrome lug nuts and wheel locks. The McGard lug nuts and wheel locks would also be a good choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0802.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	75415  
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I've been doing some trailer tire research and have found information that is concerning me about tire replacement.

1. ST (trailer) tires are not designed to wear out.

2. The mileage expectation for ST tires is 5,0000 to 12,000 miles.
I have been getting about 25,000 miles per set. I just put my third set on my trailer.
Quote:
3. Replacement of ST tires is recommended after 4 to 5 years regardless of mileage.
I have not had this problem. I may in the future.
Quote:

4. ST tire polyester and steel cords are larger than those in passenger (P) and light truck (LT) tires to meet the additional load requirements of trailer service.

5. All ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
While this may be true you can go faster if you increase the pressure. There is info on the Goodyear website to support this.
Quote:
[deleted]

1. I usually drive at 65 mph, but do often ease up to 70+.
Bump the tire pressure up 5 PSI.
Quote:
Now I'm looking for tire/wheel combos that would work for Lucy.
There are several threads on this subject.
Quote:
Am I on the right track? Will the switch to LT's be the answer? Are the LT's strong enough for the rigors of a tandem axle Airstream?

Brian
It has been done before.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #29
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Can somebody explain to this dumbie (on tires at least) the meaning of zero offset wheels & tires, and the potential effect of going against the conventional wisdom of the zero offset by installing the 8mm offset, AND

I need to better understand what happens when one goes from 15" to 16". Does that wheel & tire size fit the Airstream wheelwells?
Jim

Wheel off set has to do with the center line of the wheel in relation to the face of the hub the wheel is mounted on. If the center of the wheel is in line with the hub face it is zero offset. This link might help.

Wheel Tech - Offset

Why would you change from the factory setting? I don't know. Some one that has done so needs to reply here.

INcreaseing the rim size from 15" to 16" may fit. Then again it may not. The whell well clearence is not the same from model to model nor is it the same from year to year. Either you find some one with your year and model that has done this or have the tire dealer experiment when you are there replacing tires and wheels.

BTW never exceed max tire pressure cold inflation from what is stamped on the sidewall of any tire. I usually run my tires at max pressure all of the time.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action