Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Steve, that's a nice video. I've wondered how it was done. I have renewed respect for my tire guy. And a healthy respect for my setup.

Here's a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 26 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	233191  
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
?... When did the plural of "bus" become "buses" rather than "busses"? I know when I was in school in the 70's they taught "busses".
A "buss" is a kiss, generally on the cheek, thus the plural is busses.

A "bus" is a large vehicle for transporting people, the plural is buses.

Vivian, English major
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why the change in spelling of the plural of the large passenger vehicle? When did it occur? I know well when I was in school in 1975 we were taught "busses" for the plural of "bus". I have been curious about this for year's. Some sources at both "buses" and "busses" are acceptable. I am trying to think of other instances of doubling the "s" in the plural.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Year's should be years. I don't think I did that. I think it was "auto-type" or some such stupid feature of the iPad.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Why the change in spelling of the plural of the large passenger vehicle? When did it occur? I know well when I was in school in 1975 we were taught "busses" for the plural of "bus". I have been curious about this for year's. Some sources at both "buses" and "busses" are acceptable. I am trying to think of other instances of doubling the "s" in the plural.
I don't think there has been a change. My schooling goes farther back than yours--graduated from H.S. in '63--and I have always giggled at the airport signs directing drivers to lanes for "busses," the lane for kisses!! And I think this is the same spelling (busses only for kisses) in both American English and British English, so that wouldn't be the difference.

This distinction is observed in novels:

"She bussed him on both cheeks in the Continental fashion."

"In the sixties, I was bused to a school outside my neighborhood."

Sorry to hijack the thread for a spelling discussion!

Vivian
Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Year's should be years. I don't think I did that. I think it was "auto-type" or some such stupid feature of the iPad.
Yes indeedy--my iPad drives me crazy making gratuitous "corrections." I wish I could turn off the function.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see "at" where I meant to say "say".
I have a really hard time typing on the iPad. Too big to type like I do on the phone, too small to type like a regular keyboard. The space is particularly hard to hit. There is no reference point to "feel" where your fingers are like a regular keyboard.
We may have been taught incorrectly, but we were taught the plural of "bus" as "busses" as well as the present tense verb form "bussing" and the past tense verb form "bussed". Honestly, I've never heard or read the word "buss" meaning "kiss". Why would we need another word for kiss? One would have to be an English major to know or understand our jacked up language. I think other languages are easier for English speaking people to learn and English is harder to learn for those who speak other languages. Other languages have hard, fast rules and are more uniform/standard. English is a hodge-podge of rules which have to be memorized. For example, in the Spanish language, the letters make the same sound in every usage. Each vowel has only one sound. The sound is pronounced the same way in every word. Other languages don't have all the silent letters. If it's silent, why write it? Other languages don't have words spelled the same, but pronounced differently- bass, "short" A for the fish and "long" A for the music note- Who decided it should short and long rather than hard and soft? Only English has words that are pronounced the same, but spelled differently. Home - long O, some - sounds like a short U. I think that English is so messed up because it is a mixture of other languages and still has spelling and pronunciation that goes back to "Old English" or " Middle English". Do other languages have an old, middle, and modern?
No wonder people are taught incorrectly or remember incorrectly what they were taught 40 years ago-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
MHony,
You are exactly right: English is a mixture of languages. Start with Anglo-Saxon (which is already a mixture of Angles [England] and Saxon [predecessor of German] around 900 AD), then beginning in 1066 AD, add a 400-yr rule of England by France which imported a HUGE number of French words, thus Fr pronunciations and spellings, into English by 1400 AD.

Anglo-Saxon had a nicely organized grammar similar to Latin, but 400 yrs of French rule broke the grammar into smithereens, so our grammar today reflects that brokenness. The irregular pronunciation and spelling that you complain of also result from that infusion of Fr into Anglo-Saxon (which is Old English, which is as a foreign language to today's English). You may think that Shakespeare's English is old, but it is actually the beginning of Modern English.

Spanish, French, and Italian are all more regular than English because they are "Romance" languages, meaning they came from Latin (Rome=Roman=Romance). Their "old" Sp, Fr, or Ital are actually Latin.

So there you have a brief history of English! You should take a course in the history sometime, it is fascinating, and you will be exclaiming a lot of "Ahas!" and hitting your forehead with the palm of your hand, as most of our irregularities begin to make a kind of perverted sense to you.

Cheers!

Vivian
Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am having "ah hahs" about music theory, too. Where did written music begin? Did you know music is written differently in other parts of the world? I tend to think of our written music as originating in Europe after the Renaissance, but I really don't know that. I reckon I have Google in my hand-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Split notes?

Yes, that's another interesting story. And I think the differences between Western music and others come less from notation--although that is different it would be easy to transcribe--and more from others using a different scale with different sound intervals between notes. There is endless trouble "translating" music between the Greek Orthodox Church in Greece (Eastern intervals) and the Greek Orthodox in the U.S. (Western intervals) because here we just can't "hear" or sing those Eastern intervals, they just sound badly out of tune. Even in the West, there are differences: European symphony orchestras tune at a different level than ours. Fascinatin' stuff, huh? Must be fun being a professional musician NOT!

Vivian
Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Buses vs busses

To M. Hony,

A bus has always been something to ride in and a buss has always been a kiss. You can ride in a bus and buss in a bus, but you can't bus in a buss.

And if your school taught you otherwise, that teacher never bussed.
[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

"Jerry and our Amazing Dream Stream"
PhiDor is offline   Reply With Quote