Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Hub temperature

I have seen a few web sites suggesting you check periodically the temperature of hubs and tires using an IR thermometer. What are the values you are looking for, is the fact that all hubs have more or less the same temperature more important than the temperature itself. Same thing with tires . And if you find a hub or tire with a temperature much higher than the rest what could be the causes and ways of fixing it.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Best to look for pretty equal tire and hub temps. There are a lot of variables which come into play when assigning a particular value....ambient temps, brake use (mountains vs. flatlands, etc), load and so on. Just look for significant differences which warrant further investigation like bad bearing, unequal brake apply, tire issue, etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You should be able to hold your hand on the side wall of your tires. If you have to remove your hand you have a hot tire. Tires get hot from under inflation or broken core. In the summer, while traveling out west, I have seen the sunny side about 5 degrees hotter than the shaded side due to the sun.

A hot tire deserves attention ASAP.

If you want to check the hubs I find it best to coast into a rest area, after 25 or more miles of non breaking travel, and using as little breaking as possible. Breaking will heat the break drum and give you a false reading. After stopping attempt to feel the hub or as close to the hub on the wheel as you can get to. They should not be hot to the touch.

Hubs will get hot from the bearings being to tight or damaged.

If when you stop you smell anything in the wheel area you have a problem.

Last year and with the temperature at about 32 degrees I felt a warm tire. When I moved my hand around the tread had a scalloped feeling. I stopped for lunch on my way to a shop to have it changed. The mechanic came out and said which tire did you want changed because the one i showed him looked fine and the one in front of it looked warn. I said no the one that looks fine that was the hot one. The cores were broken and only showed up while the tire was warm.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote