Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2023, 07:23 AM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by potoole View Post
Someone should tell etrailer.com about this. They are willing to sell BearingBuddies to just about anyone!

P
A number of things -
etrailer sells parts for trailers of a lot of different applications. A travel trailer is just one type of trailer.

Bearing Buddies (and competitors) are an excellent choice for a specific trailer application. That would be a boat trailer that the hubs get dunked into the water. The bearing seal needs to be double lipped as well. This pressurized grease system has saved countless boat trailer bearings. They are just not a good choice for other trailer types.

Lastly etrailer does what every retailer does, they will sell to fill a need. If you want a Bearing Buddy or similar, they will sell it to you. That is what they are in business to do, sell to the market that wants that product. They don't make a judgement on the buyer as to the end use. They just sell trailer parts. Which is exactly what your last statement states. And it is true they will sell to anyone! Bearing Buddies are not a controlled substance. I am sure etrailer is very familiar with the usage of a Bearing Buddy. It is the consumer that may not understand the use.

Action
Old 08-22-2023, 09:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Curious about this piece of advice...

Unless things on previous axles was different, on my two-year-old axles with EZ Lube the opening where you insert the grease gun nozzle is plenty big enough for the grease to flow out. As I pump in the new grease, it's clear when the old grease is pushed out and new grease starts flowing. All I have to do is pop the rubber cover on the grease cap and insert the nozzle - no need to pull the complete grease cap.

Up till now, I have also just popped off the rubber cap and pumped until I was getting clean grease. What the Dexter guy said is that, with the grease cap off, you can see grease coming thru each bearing roller. That shows you have COMPLETELY cleared the old grease. I can't say what would happen if just one or two bearing rollers got plugged with old grease, but I suspect it wouldn't be good.