Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
los angeles , California
How freely are the wheels supposed to spin?

hey all, I had my wheel bearings repacked about 1.5 years ago, and taken only one trip since. Could someone let me know how freely are my wheels supposed to spin? Is the drag here from a brake or is this typical? 1975 31' dual axle, thanks in advance

https://youtu.be/dS1xxygjgmg
JOES75AIRSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, I think you have some rust on the machined faces of your drums. What your are hearing is the magnet face rubbing against it.

If it was my trailer, I believe I would pull one hub, verify that is all that is going on, reinstall and head out. A few brake applications will quiet things down...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It is sorta going to depend upon whether you have self adjusting brakes or manual adjustment brakes. The self adjusting seem to always drag a little. With both types you probably need to back off the shoes to check the bearing drag and then re adjust the shoes. To me the bearing are properly adjusted when there is just a tiny little play in the wheel against the bearing.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, I think you have some rust on the machined faces of your drums. What your are hearing is the magnet face rubbing against it.

If it was my trailer, I believe I would pull one hub, verify that is all that is going on, reinstall and head out. A few brake applications will quiet things down...
Yuup.Not too bad, probably been sitting.Pull it , like you say.
Edit, I read he's only taken one trip in over yr.since bearings packed.
Here's a tip for new to towing people.You used to see old truckers, walk around their rigs at rest areas, etc touching their hubs.They were feeling for excess heat.
Now, with the new fangled laser temp guns ($39 at Harbor Freight/ etc) Its not a bad idea to walk around your rig, at stops, especially in heat, and do the same with your running gear ( hubs/ tires)
They should all be in same heat range.If one is high, you may have a brake or bearing issue, or a tire issue( broken belt, etc)
The more familiar you get doing pre+ post trips, and examining running gear mid trip, at stops,the more you'll be able to spot potential problems.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
los angeles , California
thanks all, much appreciated. never taken these apart, have always dragged it to a shop to have work done--may as well learn how while i've got time on my hands!
JOES75AIRSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, I am a hub and tire feeler for sure, I even leave the decorative hubcaps off so I can access the hubs directly. Maybe I will get a IR thermometer and keep my fingers cleaner.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I have, when adjusting, elec trailer brakes that are regular type adjust the star wheel tightening the brake while turning wheel till it get tight or the wheel will not spin.. then back off the star nut 3-4 click to get the wheel spinning by hand with a slight rubbing sound. The wheel should spin freely with the scrubbing sound.. after you run for several miles the hubs should not be hot..

when doing wheel bearing the kind you pack with grease, according to dexter you tighten the castle nut to 50 ft lbs while spinning the wheel.. when you get to 50 or when using a large pair of pliers good and tight, stop the wheel spin, back nut off all the way and then just to finger tight to get where you can insert cotter pin but not tighten the nut to get pin in.. you might feel just a tiny slight bit of play when you get done, that is normal.. a smig too loose is better than too tight on wheel bearing you repack.

i do wheel bearing clean and repack every 2 yrs when checking brakes shoes and magnet.. when you take the hub off unless the seal are nice and new replace them to prevent grease seepage on the brake shoes.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote