Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
I am replacing the 15" wheels on my 2015 FC with 16" and read something about upgrading the lug nuts, what size do I need and what company would you suggest?
Thanks
See post 53 above.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
Thanks,
I was concerned there may have been a change from the 2007 to 2015 in sizing.
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #63
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Thanks,
I was concerned there may have been a change from the 2007 to 2015 in sizing.
No change, no worries. Also, i pulled that brand because it was recommended by dozens of members in the 16 LT tire discussion and other lug nut threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Great. Did you ship them or sell locally? Wonder what shipping costs would be?
Locally, I am to lazy to ship, and I think the cost would out weight the savings of buying the rims/tires used.

This happened today.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , USA
Changed from Goodyear's to Toyo's and AWC rims all from Les Schwab

I changed from 15" Goodyear's to 16" Les Schwab Toyo's and AWC wheels also from Les Schwab. What a difference. Towing our 30' Flying Cloud has never been an issue, but there is a significant difference between the Goodyear's and Toyo's so glad that I made the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	231929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	231930  

Old 02-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #65
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1087 View Post
I changed from 15" Goodyear's to 16" Les Schwab Toyo's and AWC wheels also from Les Schwab. What a difference. Towing our 30' Flying Cloud has never been an issue, but there is a significant difference between the Goodyear's and Toyo's so glad that I made the change.
Awesome, so we have the same rims! Those look great, just showed the wife. Even more excited for these to arrive and get them installed.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #66
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I wanted to post these details here and keep this thread alive until my everything is installed.

I'm going to share with everyone what I'm spending for other people's use. I figure this could help someone else get an estimate or feel for what they themselves might need to spend to do likewise.

I'll post back in this thread when I get the Rims so everyone can see how they look, and again after they are mounted to the tires and everything is installed with my final costs and impressions.

So far I have spent $650.95

$437.00 for my 4 rims
$213.95 for the Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer-wheels.png
Views:	489
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	231958   Click image for larger version

Name:	centr.png
Views:	232
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	231959  

Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #67
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Good info. Thanks. Likely making the switch in spring.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #68

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here's a copy of my order for T03 wheels, lug nuts, center caps, and a new 16" spare steel wheel that is a match for the spare wheels used on newer Airstreams. It might help you somewhat. I ordered the 16" Michelin LT tires from Discounttiredirect.com with free shipping. Cost was about $200 per tire with a $75 Visa cash card that came a few weeks later. We have no Discount tire in our metro area but they have mounting agreements with a lot of local tire stores. Cost for mounting, balancing, and disposal of the old tires was about $16 a wheel.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	232080  
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #69
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up Updates

24 of these McGard 24138 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks and McGard 64010 Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nuts (1/2" - 20 Thread Size) on Amazon cost me $83.40

Pretty sure those are the most expensive lug nuts I've ever bought, but everyone raves about them.

----

My Centramatic's are arriving Thursday. FedEx picked up my rims today, but no estimated delivery yet.

My hope is to be installing new rims & tires this weekend.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #70
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Why 16x6 and not 16x7? The tire selection is greater with 7... If your not going with a speed rated tire with a weight rating of over 2000 lbs there is no reason to go from 15 to 16 unless you simply want a different style of rim. The selection of tire choice of 16x6 is limited compare to 16x7, 16x8 of course would be to wide for wheel well but has the over all largest selection.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #71
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
Why 16x6 and not 16x7? The tire selection is greater with 7... If your not going with a speed rated tire with a weight rating of over 2000 lbs there is no reason to go from 15 to 16 unless you simply want a different style of rim. The selection of tire choice of 16x6 is limited compare to 16x7, 16x8 of course would be to wide for wheel well but has the over all largest selection.
I think you are confused on widths there. Also how big of a selection do I need, really?

For starters I'm going with a 225/75/16 tire, that means it's 225mm / 25.4 = 8.86. A search on Tirerack results in 75 tire choices and moving up to 235/75/16 results in 82 choices, not a huge jump in selection and only 1 additional inch in width.

Since the vast majority of folks not just on this forum, but a few other RVing & Trailering forums seem to all agree and recommend Michelins, how many more options do I need? Again, 75 tire choices. Seriously, I think your point is totally irrelevant.

Let's also back up the fact that most trailer rims in this size are only offered in 16x6, have a look at the Sendel's; specifically the ones Airstream uses on the Eddie Bauer, they're also a 16x6. Unless you're suggesting we just go get other rims. You could in theory do that. Nothing says they have to be trailer rims. Just need to match, load, backspacing, bore size, and bolt patterns.

Math wise, you could fit the 235 on the 16x6 rim. See: http://www.etrailer.com/question-87957.html

Also, here is a rant point, I really really really WISH PEOPLE WOULD READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE POSTING THEIR OPINIONS.

The portion of your comment I bolded, shows me you're not even paying attention. Thank you for your input which doesn't apply to this thread.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #72

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Why 16x6 and not 16x7?
I know my selection was based on matching what Airstream was supplying when folks asked for the upgrade. I just didn't want to experiment with anything larger. I talked to a few people from Airstream and for my model trailer, this is what they recommended.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
24 of these McGard 24138 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks and McGard 64010 Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nuts (1/2" - 20 Thread Size) on Amazon cost me $83.40

Pretty sure those are the most expensive lug nuts I've ever bought, but everyone raves about them.
I bought mine off Ebay and paid $67.42 delivered for the same. Fast shipping too. Mcgard 64010 Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nut Set 1 2" 20 Set of 4 | eBay
Old 02-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #74
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Quote:
I think you are confused on widths there. Also how big of a selection do I need, really?

For starters I'm going with a 225/75/16 tire, that means it's 225mm / 25.4 = 8.86. A search on Tirerack results in 75 tire choices and moving up to 235/75/16 results in 82 choices, not a huge jump in selection and only 1 additional inch in width.

Since the vast majority of folks not just on this forum, but a few other RVing & Trailering forums seem to all agree and recommend Michelins, how many more options do I need? Again, 75 tire choices. Seriously, I think your point is totally irrelevant.

Let's also back up the fact that most trailer rims in this size are only offered in 16x6, have a look at the Sendel's; specifically the ones Airstream uses on the Eddie Bauer, they're also a 16x6. Unless you're suggesting we just go get other rims. You could in theory do that. Nothing says they have to be trailer rims. Just need to match, load, backspacing, bore size, and bolt patterns.

Math wise, you could fit the 235 on the 16x6 rim. See: Compatibility of 245/75 R16 Tire with 16x6 Inch Wheel # AM20741 | etrailer.com

Also, here is a rant point, I really really really WISH PEOPLE WOULD READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE POSTING THEIR OPINIONS.

The portion of your comment I bolded, shows me you're not even paying attention. Thank you for your input which doesn't apply to this thread.
WOW...
Clearly you are now a tire expert and want to attack a very valid post to your thread... Sorry in the future I will not comment to any of your threads or Post... Last I looked this is a Forum... And your title is "help me pic out the right 16" rims" I thought I was helping both you and others by choosing the correct width of 16x7 with the best selection and not 16x6 ... Best of luck in your selection and I hope others will make the better choice.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:50 AM   #75
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
WOW...
Clearly you are now a tire expert and want to attack a very valid post to your thread... Sorry in the future I will not comment to any of your threads or Post... Last I looked this is a Forum... And your title is "help me pic out the right 16" rims" I thought I was helping both you and others by choosing the correct width of 16x7 with the best selection and not 16x6 ... Best of luck in your selection and I hope others will make the better choice.
Congrats on derailing the thread. You already stated this opinion in your first post, which was the first reply. Then you stated it again, as matter of fact like we're all making the wrong choice. I offered you valid objections to your point of view. Sorry you can't handle the heat there. But like you said, it's a forum, you should of expected a rebuttal.

Your last sentence proves that you still see yourself as the tire expert and that we're all making wrong decisions.

Everyone who bought the Sendel T03 to match what Airstream installs at the FACTORY IS MAKING THE WRONG DECISION.

Back to the "you not paying attention" the thread title is HELP ME ORDER MY RIMS, and my question in the opening thread is asking if the specs I listed are correct. You're welcome.

Quote:
Hey Gang, I'm about to go ahead and upgrade to 16's. Wife and I have decided we're liking the looks of the Sendel T02. I noticed there are two versions of this in 16x6 and I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct one once I find a good price.

Having a hard time searching the forum, but I the specfics I think I need to be aware of are

6 lug, 5.5 bolt pattern, 0mm offset and 4.25 in bore size. Is this correct? Can someone verify for me. Thanks.
The rest of the thread has been me ordering my rims, and then attempting to share an overview of the cost associated with my upgrade, for anyone else in the future.

I don't think I'm an expert or claim to be, but I do consider myself informed about my decisions based on the facts at hand.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #76
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Can't say this ended well.

However, I did get some very useful info from it. Appreciate the efforts all put into this thread.

Quote:
Congrats on derailing the thread. You already stated this opinion in your first post, which was the first reply. Then you stated it again, as matter of fact like we're all making the wrong choice. I offered you valid objections to your point of view. Sorry you can't handle the heat there. But like you said, it's a forum, you should of expected a rebuttal.

Your last sentence proves that you still see yourself as the tire expert and that we're all making wrong decisions.

Everyone who bought the Sendel T03 to match what Airstream installs at the FACTORY IS MAKING THE WRONG DECISION.

Back to the "you not paying attention" the thread title is HELP ME ORDER MY RIMS, and my question in the opening thread is asking if the specs I listed are correct. You're welcome.

The rest of the thread has been me ordering my rims, and then attempting to share an overview of the cost associated with my upgrade, for anyone else in the future.

I don't think I'm an expert or claim to be, but I do consider myself informed about my decisions based on the facts at hand.
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I am sure glad I didn't have ll the above problems ordering and receiving my 16" sendel wheels.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Vail , Arizona
Great thread, but I wish I had signed on and read it before mounting new ST tires on my 15's. It's difficult to see how larger wheels and tires will fit in my wheel wells, but evidently they will. There is an Eddie Bauer at the local dealer and I think I will trip on over with my tape measure to check it out. My current trailer is a 2007 28' International CCD. Next time I'll definitely go to LT tires. Thanks to all for the info.
blaisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but do you have to upgrade to 16 inch rims to use LT tires. Are there only passenger car tire available 15 inch or is it just limited selection. Sorry in advance, but am wondering if I can save some cash and use the factory rims. If not will this size fit a 2005 safari?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1965 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
To answer your question, the Michelin LTXs are available in 15 inch size. I recently upgraded my 23FB from 14 inch wheels / ST tires to 15 inch wheels / LTX tires.

Replacing 15 inch ST with 15 inch LTX on your 25 footer may not, however, provide you with a safe margin of tire load bearing capacity for your trailer.

You have to downrate the load rating of LTX tires by 10% for use on trailers. Thus, the rating on each 15 inch Michelin will become (2150 lb- 215 lb), or 1935 lb. And 1935 lbs x 4 = 7740 lbs.

GVWR on the 25 footers is roughly 7300 lbs. To give yourself a little more breathing room, you'd be best to upgrade to 16 inch wheels and tires. This would give you a good safety margin, plenty of tire for the load being carried.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote