Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question factory installed rims

Recently purchased 1976 28 ft. Landyaught. Am trying to tell if it has origional factory installed rims. It has Lincolin Hub caps--oops?
rockcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
factory installed rims

Greetings rockcutter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcutter
Recently purchased 1976 28 ft. Landyaught. Am trying to tell if it has origional factory installed rims. It has Lincolin Hub caps--oops?
The fact that your coach has Lincoln wheelcovers doesn't necessarily point to original or aftermarket wheels. The stock wheels were 15", and most any 15" automotive or light truck wheelcover will fit on the stock wheels - - I have a set of '64 Cadillac wheelcovers for my Airstream as well as a set of 1960s Dodge Spinner wheelcovers that I decided against using due to the potential for balance problems created by the Spinners.

According to my understanding, the marking that identify the the weight carrying rating for the wheels use by Airstream can only be see when the tires are changed as they are on the inner wheel suraface between the beads.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up factory rims

Thanks for input Kevin. What about load range C- LT/tires? They are rated l860 lbs. @ 50 air pressure. I think the airstream weighs 5600.
rockcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
rockcutter,
There have been numerous threads on tires for our trailers. Try a forum search for LT, ST and passenger car tires. You will find that ST tires are made for trailers and are recommened over LT tires. The ST tires have thicker sidewalls because of flexing imposed on that area. Some forum members have had luck with LT tires but I wouldn't run them on any Airstream I owned. I'm currently running Carlisle 225-75-15 radial ST tires and have been pleased with them. Goodyear makes the Marathon ST tire which are good also.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
factory installed rims

Greetings rockcutter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcutter
Thanks for input Kevin. What about load range C- LT/tires? They are rated l860 lbs. @ 50 air pressure. I think the airstream weighs 5600.
I am with Craig on the ST vs. LT - - my Overlander had LT tires on it when I purchased it in 1995, and that was among my very first changes. The ST tires are designed for use on trailers and LT tires are designed for use on light trucks - - the stresses involved are different; and the ST tires also have additional UV protection that you can't get with LT tires.

There are several considerations to be made when choosing between C and D load ranges. First of all, the general recommendation has been that a coach that has been run with C load range tires should not be upgraded to D load range as there is the potential for structural damage to the wheel. (This is one of the reasons that I chose to purchase new wheels for the Overlander with its first set of tires since the history of the wheels on the coach was an unknown.) The second consideration is whether the C load range actually has sufficient capacity for a particular coach. The empty weight of your '76 Ambassador is likely at least 4,900 pounds and could be more depending upon the options installed - - the loaded weight is generally at least 1,200 to 1,500 pounds greater (remembering that the empty weight does not include the significant weight added by water, and LP; as well as the weight of options and accessories; and the weight of supplies and clothing. My '64 Overlander has an empty weight of 4,440 pounds, but has a loaded gross weight of between 6,000 and 6,100 pounds. I have been running Good Year Marathon ST tires in the 227 75 R 15 Load Range D on my Overlander since 1995.

Good luck with your tire decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote