Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2024, 07:51 PM   #21
Site Team
 
STREMN's Avatar

 
2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,320
Nev-R-Lube Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswaroop View Post
Hi - what TIMKIN bearings did you use - Iím finding the ones for my 2018 flying cloud 30FB online ( Timkin Set49 ) and they are about 35 a piece ?
You've got it right on the Timken Set49. Prices can range all over the place...especially if you buy the Dexter boxed parts. etrailer carries a Dexter replacement kit pn K71-997-00...that's listed as a 42mm Cartridge Bearing, Spindle nut and Lockring. The kit actually has 6 parts:

Hardened Spindle Washer 42mm
Spindle Nut
Snap Ring
Torque Spec label
Bearing
Retaining ring
You can find the same kit on Amazon, they're both close to $300 for the kit.

If you just need the bearing the 2010 PT Cruiser uses the same 42mm bearing as our Nev-R-Lubes. Gary GCinSC2 did the research on this many moons ago. Here's a link to his post: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ml#post2693213

We're on a five week adventure and experienced a bearing failure that sidelined us for 5 days. I got the bearing from the local O'Reillys Parts Store...the other components I had to order from an online source. Despite all the Truck and Trailer industry in Oklahoma City, nobody had the spindle washer, nut or snap ring I needed. The bearing was easy to get and much cheaper than the Dexter option. It's the other parts that hold the hub on that can be challenging to find if you need it right now to get back on the road.

Tom - S/OS #025
__________________
- Tom and Wendy - AirSTREMN from New Hampshire -
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:52 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Hutto , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
You've got it right on the Timken Set49. Prices can range all over the place...especially if you buy the Dexter boxed parts. etrailer carries a Dexter replacement kit pn K71-997-00...that's listed as a 42mm Cartridge Bearing, Spindle nut and Lockring. The kit actually has 6 parts:

Hardened Spindle Washer 42mm
Spindle Nut
Snap Ring
Torque Spec label
Bearing
Retaining ring
You can find the same kit on Amazon, they're both close to $300 for the kit.

If you just need the bearing the 2010 PT Cruiser uses the same 42mm bearing as our Nev-R-Lubes. Gary GCinSC2 did the research on this many moons ago. Here's a link to his post: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ml#post2693213

We're on a five week adventure and experienced a bearing failure that sidelined us for 5 days. I got the bearing from the local O'Reillys Parts Store...the other components I had to order from an online source. Despite all the Truck and Trailer industry in Oklahoma City, nobody had the spindle washer, nut or snap ring I needed. The bearing was easy to get and much cheaper than the Dexter option. It's the other parts that hold the hub on that can be challenging to find if you need it right now to get back on the road.

Tom - S/OS #025
Thanks Tom! - I thought itís just the bearing that really needs to be replaced if performing as a maintenance job - the rest of the parts are reusable - if the wheel separated in a failure then the other parts are needed Iíd presume
Eswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:39 AM   #23
Site Team
 
STREMN's Avatar

 
2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswaroop View Post
Thanks Tom! - I thought itís just the bearing that really needs to be replaced if performing as a maintenance job - the rest of the parts are reusable - if the wheel separated in a failure then the other parts are needed Iíd presume
As long as the other parts aren't damaged in some way you can reuse the components securing the hub on the axle spindle. You don't have to have a catastrophic wheel loss, but the other parts can also be damaged in a bearing failure.

Based upon our experience I'd also carry a spares' set of the washer, nut, and snap ring just because they're usually not readily available for purchase locally. They're small, light and easily stored and "unobtanium" when you need it for the fix right now.

Tom - S/OS #025
__________________
- Tom and Wendy - AirSTREMN from New Hampshire -
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:26 AM   #24
rbs
Rivet Master
 
rbs's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 705
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 5
Large snap ring removal

has anyone found a snap ring tool that works for the large snap ring in front of the sealed bearing? That was my biggest hurdle in replacing the bearing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3814.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	442751  
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:19 PM   #25
Site Team
 
STREMN's Avatar

 
2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
has anyone found a snap ring tool that works for the large snap ring in front of the sealed bearing? That was my biggest hurdle in replacing the bearing
Harbor Freight sells a snap ring pliers set that worked for me. You need something 9" to handle that big snap ring.

Tom - S/OS #025
__________________
- Tom and Wendy - AirSTREMN from New Hampshire -
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:11 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Hutto , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 7
The reason why Iím asking about he bearing is that I just bought a 2018 flying cloud 30FB from the local dealer here and just a couple of weeks later the service team there recommended replacing the bearings - these are the pictures shared - thereís grease weeping from the bearings - I checked all the wheel hubs for play and thereís none - see pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9747.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	442781  
Eswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:14 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Hutto , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswaroop View Post
The reason why Iím asking about he bearing is that I just bought a 2018 flying cloud 30FB from the local dealer here and just a couple of weeks later the service team there recommended replacing the bearings - these are the pictures shared - thereís grease weeping from the bearings - I checked all the wheel hubs for play and thereís none - see pictures attached
When I went back and complained that it shouldínt have passed their used RV inspection checklist they claimed they were fine and just were a recommendation based on the age of the bearings. So they declined to cover their replacement essentially
Eswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:15 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Hutto , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
As long as the other parts aren't damaged in some way you can reuse the components securing the hub on the axle spindle. You don't have to have a catastrophic wheel loss, but the other parts can also be damaged in a bearing failure.

Based upon our experience I'd also carry a spares' set of the washer, nut, and snap ring just because they're usually not readily available for purchase locally. They're small, light and easily stored and "unobtanium" when you need it for the fix right now.

Tom - S/OS #025
Great idea - where do I find a spare set of those ? ( minus the bearing - since the kit is 130 dollars but bearings are only 35
Eswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:05 AM   #29
Site Team
 
STREMN's Avatar

 
2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswaroop View Post
Great idea - where do I find a spare set of those ? ( minus the bearing - since the kit is 130 dollars but bearings are only 35
Online purchase is probably your best option. Do a search on the following Dexter Part Numbers and select the best option for you:

005-147-01 Washer 42mm hardened 1"ID
006-183-00 Spindle Lock Nut 1"x 14 pitch
069-096-00 Snap Ring Inside
069-095-00 Retaining Ring Outside
092-002-00 Label - Torque Value Settings
031-073-03 Dexter Bearing

Dexter Kit - K71-997-00 includes all these parts, but it's $$$. Dexter also sells parts online. I find their site confusing and more expensive than other retail parts sites.

The first 3 parts are your critical components.

Tom - S/OS #025
__________________
- Tom and Wendy - AirSTREMN from New Hampshire -
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:27 AM   #30
rbs
Rivet Master
 
rbs's Avatar
 
2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 705
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Harbor Freight sells a snap ring pliers set that worked for me. You need something 9" to handle that big snap ring.

Tom - S/OS #025
actually purchased and used the Harbor Freight, the problem is the pin size. The snap ring opening is (from memory) about .100" while the pin size on the large snap rings all seem to be .125", which I ended up grinding down to make work.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Online purchase is probably your best option. Do a search on the following Dexter Part Numbers and select the best option for you:

005-147-01 Washer 42mm hardened 1"ID
006-183-00 Spindle Lock Nut 1"x 14 pitch
069-096-00 Snap Ring Inside
069-095-00 Retaining Ring Outside
092-002-00 Label - Torque Value Settings
031-073-03 Dexter Bearing

Dexter Kit - K71-997-00 includes all these parts, but it's $$$. Dexter also sells parts online. I find their site confusing and more expensive than other retail parts sites.

The first 3 parts are your critical components.

Tom - S/OS #025
Great information. Thanks.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:20 PM   #32
Site Team
 
STREMN's Avatar

 
2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
actually purchased and used the Harbor Freight, the problem is the pin size. The snap ring opening is (from memory) about .100" while the pin size on the large snap rings all seem to be .125", which I ended up grinding down to make work.
I bought the Harbor Freight kit and used it as is. Picked the large set and it worked for the large snap ring for me without adjustment. Maybe we've got different tools. Anyhow that snap ring that holds the bearing in the hub is one beefy unit and you'll need a large tool to seat it in the groove.

Tom - S/OS #025
__________________
- Tom and Wendy - AirSTREMN from New Hampshire -
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:09 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Flying Cloud
Hutto , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 7
Timken set49 USA vs S Korea comparison

So I ordered 4 bearings from homedepot ( they sell these set 49 bearings for about 35 a piece ) and one more from -Amazon

Three out of four bearings from Home Depot were US made and fourth was from South Korea

One bearing from Amazon was from South Korea

I donít have anything against Asian products but the S Korean bearing seems flimsier - less grease and less sturdy it moves side to side when pressed - maybe I can post a video - get the US bearings if you can

Also I ordered the national bearings version 513058 from Amazon and they are made in China - they at least for visual and physical inspection seem sturdier and held up better - almost as same as the U.S. made timkens except they spin a bit tighter - donít know if thatís good or bad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9771.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	442865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9773.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	442866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9776.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	442867  
Eswaroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dexter E-Z Lube (not NevR Lube) Axles Al and Missy Axles 14 02-21-2022 07:55 AM
Nev R Lube bearing question n2916s Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 0 06-10-2021 08:29 AM
Dexter Nev-R-Lube Bearing Spare Parts nickmeloy Axles 12 12-03-2016 04:48 PM
Dexter nev-r-lube failures Jammer Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 44 04-26-2015 07:42 AM
Dexter Nev-R-Lube Bearing Information nickmeloy Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 2 11-10-2010 07:40 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.