Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Changing rims/tires on 1998 31' Excella 1000

I have researched the Forums for advice, but would appreciate specific advice in regards to my trailer. I currently have the original 15" steel rims on my trailer. I will have owned the trailer for a year in January and just towed over 8500 miles this past summer, without any problems. It is coming up to time to replace the tires (previous owner put on new "off-brand" tires 2+ years ago, so there is about 12000+ miles on them). I am considering going to 16" aluminum rims and tires. Any of you that have the same trailer, were there any wheel well clearance problems going to the 16". I know people have varying opinions on brands of tires... What I am interested in knowing is it "worth it" to go to 16" as opposed to staying at 15"? Ride, control, towing, etc. Any particular brand/model of rims? Sendel T03 seems to be most popular. What about metal stems as opposed to rubber?
Thanks for any advice.
Bruce
Pastor Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
I am playing in the same territory of trailer as yours.

Stepped up to 16" aluminum wheels from 15" steel and no issues.

To see if this will work for your 31' foot trailer, the increase is only about 1/2" in each direction.

For stems, I usually go with the metal. IIRC, if going with Load E tires, the wheels will probably need metal stems anyway.

Another thing to consider during tire / wheel change is whether to add dynamic balancing to the mix by way of Centramatics or balance beads.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Prior to a couple of years ago, moving up to a larger rim size was a thing to get tires that had greater load capacity without spending large amounts of money on a non-common tire. (Getting into a situation of needing a tire on a trip one has to take what is available out in the country)

One of the most common tires was a Marathon. And in the largest capacity it wasn't doing the job. Trailer tires need some reserve capacity (115% of max load would be a good place and more could be better) The Marathon was replaced with the Endurance. The Endurance comes in greater load capacity. Is commonly available. And since it's introduction the "ëvent" rate is far less than the Marathon. This is the main reason moving up to a larger wheel/tire combination has been done in the past.

If you are going to an alloy wheel in a larger size for appearance, I do not have the data for your trailer size. My experience has been with older and slightly smaller trailers.

As to the question is it worth it. Difficult for me to answer for you. The answer of tire performance has been answered. Metal stems are needed for higher pressures and are more reliable in general. For that reason I would use them every opportunity possible. The upgrade in alloy wheels is a personal choice as they do not add performance over correct a steel wheel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-20-2020, 01:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
As an update... had a tire blowout driving through New Mexico and did not even realize it until I pulled into a rest area. Made it to a small town that night. Next morning had tire changed and made it to a Discount Tire Store. Talked to salesman about 16" tires and rims. First, it would be at least a day to get rims I wanted and second he measured wheel-well and said there would not be enough clearance to go to 16 inches. So, kept 15" rims and had Goodyear Endurance installed. Only problem is they were inflated to 80lbs. because that is the "recommended" pressure. However, following threads on this forum I have decided to run them @65-67lbs. One main reason? Bouncing around of trailer caused screws to come loose and objects being tossed about like a 7.0 earthquake! Installing tire pressure monitors before heading out on my next long trip in May. Have been in Quartzsite, AZ since October... own property. Happy Trails, pardner.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
Good move...we have 8k on the GYE's, working out very well.
Use as much psi as you are comfortable with, the more the safer.

How good are the AS axles?
We had a lot of interior damage on our '63 Safari because of a bad axle & shocks.

Bob
🇺🇸
Notice how much of the tire is hidden=pooped axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2ca7.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	363557  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
Well, had a surprise today! Was heading to AS of Scottsdale to have BluecOx hitch adjusted because I bought a 2019 Dodge Ram 3500 longbed, crewcab SRW and AS is riding high in the front. Checking air pressure, discovered front passenger side tire only had 14psi. Trailer has been sitting most of the time on my RV lot in Quartzsite so hadn't been checking. Inflated tire and decided to head to Discount Tire in Yuma (bought set of 5 in New Mexico after blowout). Thought I had picked up a nail or something. Stopped along the way to check pressure, but was minimal loss of air. (Carry 12v air pump just in case]
Upon inspection for cause of flat tire, tech discovered a crack in the weld joint of the steel rim that was causing the slow leak. Now wondering if this was cause leading to initial blowout? Not likely it would have been caught when new tires were put on because new tires are not routinely water tested. Decided to purchase 4 new steel rims, after all it is a 1998 AS. Considered aluminum rims, but did not have any in stock and would take too long to get from California.
So, now when I go have the Blue Ox adjusted I will try to have axles and shocks checked. Been considering going to new axels anyway... Any suggestions? Would like to raise AS a little to minimize dragging rear bumper.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Quartzsite , Arizona
PS: I have metal stems because I am installing a Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Bruce View Post
I have researched the Forums for advice, but would appreciate specific advice in regards to my trailer. I currently have the original 15" steel rims on my trailer. I will have owned the trailer for a year in January and just towed over 8500 miles this past summer, without any problems. It is coming up to time to replace the tires (previous owner put on new "off-brand" tires 2+ years ago, so there is about 12000+ miles on them). I am considering going to 16" aluminum rims and tires. Any of you that have the same trailer, were there any wheel well clearance problems going to the 16". I know people have varying opinions on brands of tires... What I am interested in knowing is it "worth it" to go to 16" as opposed to staying at 15"? Ride, control, towing, etc. Any particular brand/model of rims? Sendel T03 seems to be most popular. What about metal stems as opposed to rubber?
Thanks for any advice.
Bruce
. 15” good year endurance is good.....made in USA
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote