Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2024, 07:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Brake and Nev R Lube bearings inspection

I'm in the process of getting my 2020 16ft trailer in working order for a trip in April to be in Ohio during the eclipse.

This is my first time looking at brakes and bearings. I know I should have done this every year. I actually bought new brake assemblies and decided I don't need to use them yet because there's plenty of life left in my brake pads. The Nev-R-Lube bearings look good and the wheels turn smoothly. What I don't know is should I apply lube anywhere before putting the drum back on? There does seem to be grease on the axle. Should I wipe all that away and apply any new grease?

And I've logged about 28k miles with this trailer.

Thank you!
onefiftyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would remove the bearings, clean the spildles, get some anti-seize compound and lube the spindle shaft. Someone didn't apply anti- seize when mine was built and I had a horrible time getting the bearing off some years later. I had to buy a hydraulic puller to get it off.
Also, check the bearings for lateral runout and replace if excessive.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to research removing these Nev R Lube bearings. I was under the impression that wasn't easy. And also lateral run-out. The drum seems to rotate evenly.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No, it's easy. One large nut and the whole hub slides off the spindle. Unless, some bonehead didn't lube the spindle when it was built. Now, if you have to replace the bearing, it must be pressed out of the hub. Still not hard. Any shop can do it in 20 minutes, including pressing in the new one. Or, you could buy a tool set and do it at home.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:45 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Wilmington , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I would remove the bearings, clean the spildles, get some anti-seize compound and lube the spindle shaft. Someone didn't apply anti- seize when mine was built and I had a horrible time getting the bearing off some years later. I had to buy a hydraulic puller to get it off.
Also, check the bearings for lateral runout and replace if excessive.
I believe Rich means remove the bearing/hub/drum assembly and not remove the bearings out of the hub. Please correct me if I am wrong, Rich.

There is a popular youtube video that indicates that the large snap ring needs to be removed to remove the assembly. This is not the case unless you want to remove the bearing from the hub.
Bob Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Thanks, Bob and Rich,

I've removed the hubs/drums to look at the brake pads. I think what I've learned is that the grease I see around the bearing is just there to prevent seizing of the hub/drum from the spindle (Nothing spins around that grease?) The bearing itself does not require lube. I won't remove the bearing from the hub/drum unless it shows (or is time) that it needs to be replaced.

-Eric
Old 03-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Leave em alone
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote