Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Carberry , Manitoba
Bearings on a 77 Safari

I am about to try and redo the bearings on my 77 dual axle Safari but have a couple of questions. I took the wheels off and had a look. Popped the grease covers off and noticed a bit of rust on the inside of the cap, the axle nuts appear to be in ok shape, just a bit of surface rust and the outer bearings themselves appear to be in not bad shape. There is virtually no movement of the bearing when I try and rock the wheel with the tire on. It would appear to me that the bearings are still ok however a repack would be in order. Once I get them out, I can clean them up and will then know better if I need to replace them. My manual doesn't have much information on the steps to do a bearing repack, particularly with a 77 Safari with disc brakes. As the brake disc is one piece with the hub, it would seem apparent that the entire unit must come off. This would mean I need to drop the disc brake caliper. It appears to me that this means I need to pull the pins holding the pads in place, remove pads, then remove the 4 assembly bolts holding the two halves of the caliper together, then take the caliper off in two pieces. My manual is not very clear on this step. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Anyone done their bearings on an old airstream with disc brakes? The brakes actually look pretty good, lots of material left on the pads and rotors look like new, no scoring or anything. I'm also thinking of swapping out the vacuum brake actuator for a Hydrastar1600 but that's best left for another thread. Thanks for any tips or hints
Lorry
cp1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I am not familiar with AS disc brakes.

Yes you will need to remove the caliper.

The rust on the inside of the cap on the end of the hub means there has been some condensation. (Usually from the lack of use) It may be no big deal or it may mean there is water contamination of the grease and metal rollers of the bearings. Removal will tell for sure.

>>>>Action