Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Bearings and brakes

I repacked my bearings on Friday and thought everything went ok. This am I was adjusting my brakes. When spinning the tire and adjusting the brakes one tire would spin with some friction and then glide a bit. I watched the balancing weight on the tire and friction occurred at the bottom of the tire rotation and the gliding occurred at the top of the tire rotation.

Did I not adjust the brakes correctly or is one of the bearings not seated correctly? Could it be the tire is not seated correctly on the hub?

Thanks for your help,
Matt
Matt385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I believe you are good. However not quite clear on what you typed.

Unclear as to this meaning, " would spin with some friction and then glide a bit"

If you mean the brakes make slight contact in some places of the rotation of the wheel and in other places of the rotation spins free, this is desired. Assuming you have drum brakes, the drum is never perfectly round. And the brake shoes are not perfectly arched in a circle. So some places in the drum rotation (with brakes off) the shoes should make very light contact and other locations spin free. This eliminates the brake shoe travel. So when the brakes are applied by the TV the braking action will come in swiftly.

In addition. "Could it be the tire is not seated correctly on the hub?"
The tire is mounted to the wheel. The wheel is mounted to the hub. IF The lug nuts or bolts (which type depends on the year) are torqued correctly the wheel IS seated to the hub.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thanks that’s what I needed to hear.
Matt385 is offline   Reply With Quote