Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You’re doing it right. I did the same exact process with the trailer aid, one tire at a time, they hand tightened my (new McGard) lug nuts (I brought with me) to 110 and I rechecked with my own torque wrench after a 30-40 mile trip back to the storage yard.

I also posted a thread here somewhere about the pressures in the new GYEs. At 65 PSI, I wasn’t happy with the rise of temp and pressure and went to 70 and felt it was more in line with expectations. I may take them to 72 but probably not much higher. 70-72 is way more than I need for 6000# on the axles but I’m not getting any damage in the trailer and I’m comfortable with what I’m seeing on the TPMS. All good - your mileage can and will vary. Good luck!
Thanks for the positive post SteveSueMac!
Trying to do what’s best for the trailer now and long term. Sure do learn a lot here in the forum !! It’s given me , and led me, to so much information to learn from and decide what direction to take . I appreciate that we have this resource!! So nice to have the affirmation I’m headed the right way....thanks!!!
Fipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Good info Bob Cross!!! I think I learn something new from your posts everyday!! Thanks!!
Fipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I have never had 70+psi cause any damage.��

Over rated WD/stiff ride, bad axle...yep.

Bob
����
They likely used better rivets and longer screws back then! Lucky you...I did have popped rivets and hinge screw issues with my first 2006 25' Safari, and I ran max pressure on my GY Marathons at the time...never thought about the pressure back then. I switched out to the 15" LT rated Michelins back then and never had another issue...never thought about the Marathons being the culprit for rivets and screws. I had GYM's on this 2017 model but was running at 60PSI for the first year before switching out to the Endurance. If I hadn't had issues so soon after I got the new GYE's which they filled to 70PSI last summer, I wouldn't have thought about it...but I did so I now follow the GYE chart recommendation and have not had any more issues like that...the closet door hanging by one hinge with the mirror on it got our attention for sure...hmmm oh yea, the rivets on the floor, the cabinet door hanging in the bathroom, the shower door hanging... Poor craftsmanship?? Maybe...but I am convinced the tire pressure at Max didn't help. No issues since I lowered the pressure and run 50-55psi.

Why wouldn't anyone follow the manufacturer PSI chart for the PSI and weight your trailer??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Probably because not everyone knows the axle and tire loading on their rig. Most have never weighed their TV and AS and done the math. Not unusual.

“If you can’t measure it, you can’t understand it”—a rather astute engineer.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
If they have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The torque is set for the wheels and their lug nuts. The tire has nothing to do with it. His book is probably wrong. Use your own torque wrench to set and check it after you leave, never to return.

Make sure he hand-torques the lugs with a calibrated torque wrench, not an air wrench and one of those “torque stick” gadgets that will possibly ruin your wheels.

I don’t trust too many tire busters to do it right, obviously.
I fully agree with rmkrum! When my local Michelin dealer (a Tire Kingdom store) replaced my original ATX M/S2 tires with XPS Rib's last year they assigned their "best guy" to the job. I oversaw his work including proper jacking of the AS. He was eager and generally knowledgeable... until we came to torquing.

I pulled out my 1/2" drive torque wrench to do the honors. He had never seen one.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Probably because not everyone knows the axle and tire loading on their rig. Most have never weighed their TV and AS and done the math. Not unusual.

“If you can’t measure it, you can’t understand it”—a rather astute engineer.
Your correct; that is what Goodyear technician I spoke with said; that is why they put a "Max Pressure" on the tires and also on many TT's and autos...people generally, don't know their vehicle weights.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Your correct; that is what Goodyear technician I spoke with said; that is why they put a "Max Pressure" on the tires and also on many TT's and autos...people generally, don't know their vehicle weights.

Just to be clear - I’m a CAT scale junkie. I go at least once a year and sometimes extra trips just for giggles! I don’t recommend reading my tedious thread on this season’s test run with the new GYEs http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ns-193805.html but there’s a lot of info there including the notion that I probably could go with 45 PSI based on my CAT tickets. However - to the point of needing to measure things - scale weights are one measure, rise in temps and PSI are two others, and the sense of the “seat of my pants” is a less scientific measure but one I include in my thinking (thinking by the seat of my pants - sure, I’ll say it first [emoji3]).

I’m now running 70-72 PSI cold and the ride is good (though definitely not as “cushy” as it was with the Michelins) AND the temps/PSI rise in a more comfortable range according to my TPMS. So lookin at the whole package of measures, that’s why I (a sample size of one) choose to inflate higher than the min I could do according to the chart. I have no dog in this fight - you do you [emoji3]

Happy camping all!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Just to be clear - I’m a CAT scale junkie. I go at least once a year and sometimes extra trips just for giggles! I don’t recommend reading my tedious thread on this season’s test run with the new GYEs http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ns-193805.html but there’s a lot of info there including the notion that I probably could go with 45 PSI based on my CAT tickets. However - to the point of needing to measure things - scale weights are one measure, rise in temps and PSI are two others, and the sense of the “seat of my pants” is a less scientific measure but one I include in my thinking (thinking by the seat of my pants - sure, I’ll say it first [emoji3]).

I’m now running 70-72 PSI cold and the ride is good (though definitely not as “cushy” as it was with the Michelins) AND the temps/PSI rise in a more comfortable range according to my TPMS. So lookin at the whole package of measures, that’s why I (a sample size of one) choose to inflate higher than the min I could do according to the chart. I have no dog in this fight - you do you [emoji3]

Happy camping all!
No dog in this either...not a fight...just sharing my experience's...like you. I use the TPMS also and monitor temps...along with pressures...Mine warm up and increase about 5 PSI after we get going; the temps seem to run consistent also as they increase with friction of the road; warmer days warmer temps.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
[emoji106] happy camping Gypsydad! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Why wouldn't anyone follow the manufacturer PSI chart for the PSI and weight your trailer??
Easy answer....I'm not anyone, and I don't have your problems.🤓
Plus it's load chart, not a law chart.😂

Sweet Streams.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Easy answer....I'm not anyone, and I don't have your problems.��
Plus it's load chart, not a law chart.��

Sweet Streams.��

Bob
����
Don't you really mean beings from Nebula are prone to there own way of thinking?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Don't you really mean beings from Nebula are prone to there own way of thinking?
Exactly, with one exception, we all think the same way... the reality of thought is what some find hard to grasp.
My tire reality is based on 50+yrs of bucklenusting.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Why wouldn't anyone follow the manufacturer PSI chart for the PSI and weight your trailer??"

The "load chart" is a table that gives the pressure to achieve the same deflection in the tire at all weights. So if you follow the charts you will come to a pressure that gives for the actual weight on the tire the same deflection as you would get with the maximum load at the maximum pressure. Following the chart exactly should be okay. Running over the pressure shown by the chart will result in less deflection, a stiffer ride, less heating, and perhaps better stability and traction, For a trailer I see no point in running under the chart though it might make the ride softer. So many people run over the chart for a safety margin and long life of the tire. Some run the max pressure no matter what the load since the tire heats and flexes less. Some Airstream manual state to run the max pressure. Some state 65. Some state 80. Probably all of the differ from the "load chart". The fortunate thing about tire pressures on a trailer is that as long as you have "enough" they are okay. Fine tuning is okay but maybe not really necessary. I think troubles come when one is consistently under inflated for a long time or way under inflated for a shorter time.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City beach , Florida
Is this the tire pressure chart everyone is using?

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

2018 FC 27FB queen
2019 F350 CC SRW 6.7 Short Bed
Eagle Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Keeper View Post
Is this the tire pressure chart everyone is using?

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
That's the one I use with my GYE's! I could run 45-50PSI with my scale tickets, but I run 50-55PSI cold. Lots of experience and theories here on this topic (like all topics on the Forum!) Given that less pressure provide a softer ride for your TT. More pressure provides a stiffer ride for your TT. Take your pick...I just got tired of popped rivets, broken hinges, and screws pulled loose. Seems not to happen on some AS's...go figure! GY says life of tire estimates are not affected when running with recommended PSI. Run with what you feel comfortable..
Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City beach , Florida
Quote:
Lots of experience and theories here on this topic (like all topics on the Forum!)
I’ve noticed that! I prefer to use factory specs for all my decisions. I find a lot of experience opinions to be based on feelings and luck not engineering.

2018 FC 27FB queen
2019 F350 CC SRW 6.7 Short Bed
Eagle Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
That's the one I use with my GYE's! I could run 45-50PSI with my scale tickets, but I run 50-55PSI cold. Lots of experience and theories here on this topic (like all topics on the Forum!) Given that less pressure provide a softer ride for your TT. More pressure provides a stiffer ride for your TT. Take your pick...I just got tired of popped rivets, broken hinges, and screws pulled loose. Seems not to happen on some AS's...go figure! GY says life of tire estimates are not affected when running with recommended PSI. Run with what you feel comfortable..
My question again.....why not just run a load range "C" tire????
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
My question again.....why not just run a load range "C" tire????
Why? These are ST tires...made for TT's; AS also has them on most all the new AS's they deliver and those of us who have installed them, seem pretty happy with performance...why deviate if they are working?
Old 05-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I did run load range C until Michelin stopped selling them in the 15 inch size. GYE only come in load range E in the 15” size 235 so that is what many people run. Goodyear sells a slightly smaller tire in load range D. So your answer is that one cannot get a C tire in the two frequently used tires. I am currently running a p-XL tire which is awful close to a C tire. I have a fairly light Airstream compared to the new ones . I have about a 25 % overhead margin over the actual trailer weight.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
FWI I have the 225's E
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...10016659999997
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote