Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Wheels, Hubs & Bearings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
An Airstream is like a box of chocolates.

You never know what you are going to get.

I go over to the unit this afternoon, to put on my new Centramatics. I'm primed, ready, and loaded with all my tools, and a few I borrowed from our school district transportation shop. (Snap on torque wrench) I've also got new Mcgards lug nuts to replace the cheapo two piece nuts that none seams to like.

So I get to my trailer, and get out my new half inch breaker bar, (22 dollars at Lowes) rummage through my long socket set trying out sizes and find that a 19 mm fits perfectly. Cool. I start reefing on the first nut, and it starts to turn, and me, figuring that the cap is coming off, continue and take it off the wheel.

Only it's not a cap. It's a solid chrome lug nut. What the? Ok, I loosen all the nuts on one wheel, and then position the jack to raise the trailer. Only my two ton bottle jack won't reach the metal piece under the trailer. Drat. So I start scrounging wood to stack so I can use my jack. Now I have built a rickety contraption out of three disparate pieces of wood to lift the trailer, and I'm really not liking the looks of this, but I want to get-r-done so I persevere. Except, I sorta lost half the extension that acts as a lever and I don't have enough strength to get the wheels off the ground. *#}+~!

So I lower the trailer, (sorta had it halfway up) torque all the wheel nuts to 110, go home with my tail between my legs.

I think I need a better jack to take with on trips. Any suggestions? And why does my 15 FC have solid lug nuts?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't know why you have solid chrome lug nuts - you sure!? I wish they made that mistake with me! 😂

An easier (perhaps safer) way to do this is with a Trailer Aid (don't know about this shop but the picture helps explain better than I could).
http://www.statelinetack.com/item/tr...7-adType%5EPLA

I have one and used it with my tire dealer to swap out my GYMs. One at a time - they had no problem with it!

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I don't know why you have solid chrome lug nuts - you sure!? I wish they made that mistake with me! 😂

An easier (perhaps safer) way to do this is with a Trailer Aid (don't know about this shop but the picture helps explain better than I could).

I have one and used it with my tire dealer to swap out my GYMs. One at a time - they had no problem with it!

Good luck!!
Yep. One piece chrome lug nuts from the factory. Now I have 24 Mcgards I'm not sure what to do with. I suspect the Mcgards are better quality than what is on the trailer, but I don't know that. There was a small bit of rust on the threads of the nuts.

I looked at the Trailer aid yesterday at Camping World, and decided it took up too much space. I may revisit that thought, or maybe the Andersen rapid jack. Iwas trying to save time and not hook up, but time was not saved.

Mike
Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If you want to sell me those 24 McGards, let me know.

The trailer aid doesn't take much room in my 27FB storage area (under the bed). You can accomplish the same with your "Legos" if you use those - you sort of build up a ramp.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Yep. One piece chrome lug nuts from the factory. Now I have 24 Mcgards I'm not sure what to do with. I suspect the Mcgards are better quality than what is on the trailer, but I don't know that. There was a small bit of rust on the threads of the nuts.

I looked at the Trailer aid yesterday at Camping World, and decided it took up too much space. I may revisit that thought, or maybe the Andersen rapid jack. Iwas trying to save time and not hook up, but time was not saved.

Mike
Mike we are down in Canby. If no one is a taker, give me a shout, I am interested.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Bowie , Texas
Trailer aid substitute

As a newbie and cheapie, instead of the Trailer Aid, I found a 6X6 about 18" long and sawed a taper on one end. Does the function for free.
i2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
For our old box trailer, that's what we did too, but actually with one 4x6 and two 2x6's. They could be stacked if necessary with the longer 4x6 in the bottom. All were angle cut on one end, and I added a handle to the narrow side fur easier handling. Then painted all three to seal. A wisk broom after use kept them clean.

But they are super heavy, and take up way too much room if the Airatreams extremely limited basement storage. So we just invested in a couple of Anderson's, and we'll see how those work out!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
For our old box trailer, that's what we did too, but actually with one 4x6 and two 2x6's. They could be stacked if necessary with the longer 4x6 in the bottom. All were angle cut on one end, and I added a handle to the narrow side fur easier handling. Then painted all three to seal. A wisk broom after use kept them clean.

But they are super heavy, and take up way too much room if the Airatreams extremely limited basement storage. So we just invested in a couple of Anderson's, and we'll see how those work out!

Did you get the Andersen levelers, or the rapid jack?

Mike
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Good luck!!
I use the "lego" ramp - they're multifunction - and they are SAFE... partly because you are hooked up and can apply the tow vehicle's emergency brake. No way the trailer falls off the jack or rolls off it either. Call me chicken****
Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
That ain't chicken--that's wise ol owl.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
And I used the "Lego Ramp" to switch to 16" wheels last week. It worked very well, just remember to loosen the nuts before you pull the wheel off the ground.

The Andersen looks like a good solution but if you carry equipment to achieve side-to-side level you've probably already got what you need.

You can also use the Legos to raise your bottle jack if you don't want to move the trailer (like it's in the garage). I've done that too and I think it was safe, with a jack stand, of course.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Did you get the Andersen levelers, or the rapid jack?

Mike
Levelers, Mike. Not sure if they're enough for changing a wheel, though.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I went back over to the Silver girl tonight after work and finished the job.

I think I may have to change my screen name to the village idiot.

First off, I found a extra piece for my bottle jack that makes the lever longer, and I was able to use it to get both wheels off the ground. Then when I was taking off the lug nuts I took a close look at them and noticed there was this tiny seem at the bottom. And the outside flats were a little deformed. Yep, my "factory" one piece chrome lug nuts were actually the aluminum capped ones. I just didn't realize it until tonight. You know, I'm starting to think that maybe wrenching isn't really my thing.

Anyway, I got my wheels off, Centramatics on, and installed the Mcgards. It was a lot of work for a geezer, but I'm happy it's done.

Mike
Old 05-19-2016, 03:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats Mike 😀
Old 05-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't feel bad, Aluminum can dazzle and mislead you.

Paula
Old 05-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Don't feel bad, Aluminum can dazzle and mislead you.

Paula
Thru the ages......

"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace

Bob
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

2015 30' International
Lees Summit , Missouri
This is what you want, they are available at walmart, back up and put the tire you are NOT working on in this and it lifts the trailer enough for you to change the other tire.
Camco Trailer Aid...
Jacki45277 is offline   Reply With Quote