Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2024, 05:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Am I missing something on these Nev-R-Lube hubs?

As a general rule of thumb, I typically, particularly on long trips, take a spare hub and set of bearings. Well, I now have the Nev-R-Lube and figured, I'd pick up a hub with the bearing already pressed in, understanding it would be much more expensive than my old regular bearings and hubs I've used in the past.

Ok, around $550-$600, got it. Then got to thinking, wait a minute, if I ever needed 2 of these, for whatever reason, it's nearly the price of the axle itself with the hubs, brakes and bearings?

I have a Dexter 4109890-11 axle on the rig that was installed at the time of construction. I figured when on the road, I wouldn't have a press kit with me to remove and replace he old bearing, so having a complete hub assembly might get me over a hump in a pinch. Sure the bearing kit is a few hundred bucks, but am I misreading this? Are two replacement hubs for this axle really darn near the price of the entire axle? Not about to lug an axle around with me, but damn, I have to have missed something. This can't be right, can it? I must be in serious error here, right?

https://highskyrvparts.com/torsion-axle-410980-11

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hub...388-80UC3.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...kryWx3Jl_AieyM
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That's not totally unusual for components to almost as much as a new axle. On my old SOB....back in 2002 or so.....I needed brake shoes, seals, drums turned and an alignment for a tandem axle trailer. The alignment, turning and components came to $100 less than 2 new axles.

A hub and bearing is sound advice for the road, as it is a quick roadside swap (ok, hobble off the highway). But at home, bearings can be found for <$100 and I was charged $20 at a local shop to press out and in. Or a home hand press kit is <$200.

In 85k miles I've only needed one bearing replacement, and it was just a bit sloppy upon an simi-annual driveway inspection.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Thanks, Rich. I was sort of hoping to be grossly wrong here, but is what it is, and if I never need it, so be it, and when the time comes to eventually replace the axles, I'll still have a spare. I really didn't look forward to repacking my bearings on the old rig, but that one, I could get a set of bearings and hub for about $100 (before crazy inflation). Hopefully when the factory service center took them off to inspect the brakes, the placed some antisize grease on the spindle and/or bearing contact points, cause that kind of problem is a bit more than highway hobby. Wasn't that you that had to drill out the bearing to get the thing loose or was that someone else?

Do you know off hand what size snap plier I may need to get the larger snap ring on and off. I have a small snap ring plier, but doubt that'd do the trick for that large one.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I had to buy a hydraulic bearing puller to get mine off. 3 spindles had anti-seize and one didn't. Somebody missed their job back in 2006 at dexter.
I'll see if I can find the snap ring pliers I bought online.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-15-2024, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240515_075928.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	517.7 KB
ID:	443470

These are the ones I got. NAPA has them under their own house brand.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:34 AM   #6
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
My good friend Gary GCinSC2 posted a thread on rebuilding the Nev-R-Lube hubs. Unfortunately he passed away last year unexpectedly, but his posts remain in place for reference.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-r-224416.html

This thread has all the info you need to do the rebuild including the specialty tool sets. You can do this "on the road" if necessary provided the spindle is not damaged from the bearing failure.

I've done this on the road. The key components to have on hand are the bearing, snap ring, spindle washer, and spindle nut. Without the tools or parts you'll probably need outside assistance. A tool not listed in that thread is 1/2" impact driver. That made the job much simpler for me.

The last link you listed from etrailer has those key components. It's a Dexter kit and that means $$$. You can buy the components separately and save yourself several $$. Use the part numbers listed in Gary's thread to search and purchase online. The 2010 PT Cruiser uses the same sealed cartridge bearing our trailers do. Just get the best bearing not the cheapest.

Your probably not going to be able to find the parts locally if you have a failure on the road. I was in Oklahoma City, with lot's of trucks and trailer places of all kinds...Dexter was even in the area. But nobody had the snap ring, washer or nut on hand. All that came in from an online purchase to repair. Once I had the parts it was about an hour and a half to put it all back together.

Why aren't they common parts? Because they don't fail that often. They're like the bearings in our cars or trucks. Long life span, but occasionally there can be a problem. Those are press in an out just like our Nev-R-Lubes.

Pre-season do the Dexter bearing inspection listed in Gary's thread. While you're on the road use an IR tool to check your hub temps periodically...or pay attention to your TPMS Temps if so equipped.

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:24 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Thanks all for the great info, Tom and Rich!

Looking at the threads, spot on about costs. I think Dexter's bearings are typically Timken anyway, so buying the Dexter part number you're right, adds serious money to the bearing alone. So the Timkin Set49 is the same 42mm bearing (in specs) that is in that Dexter kit? I've always used Timkin bearings in my past trailers with great results.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
My good friend Gary GCinSC2 posted a thread on rebuilding the Nev-R-Lube hubs. Unfortunately he passed away last year unexpectedly, but his posts remain in place for reference.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-r-224416.html

This thread has all the info you need to do the rebuild including the specialty tool sets. You can do this "on the road" if necessary provided the spindle is not damaged from the bearing failure.

I've done this on the road. The key components to have on hand are the bearing, snap ring, spindle washer, and spindle nut. Without the tools or parts you'll probably need outside assistance. A tool not listed in that thread is 1/2" impact driver. That made the job much simpler for me.

The last link you listed from etrailer has those key components. It's a Dexter kit and that means $$$. You can buy the components separately and save yourself several $$. Use the part numbers listed in Gary's thread to search and purchase online. The 2010 PT Cruiser uses the same sealed cartridge bearing our trailers do. Just get the best bearing not the cheapest.

Your probably not going to be able to find the parts locally if you have a failure on the road. I was in Oklahoma City, with lot's of trucks and trailer places of all kinds...Dexter was even in the area. But nobody had the snap ring, washer or nut on hand. All that came in from an online purchase to repair. Once I had the parts it was about an hour and a half to put it all back together.

Why aren't they common parts? Because they don't fail that often. They're like the bearings in our cars or trucks. Long life span, but occasionally there can be a problem. Those are press in an out just like our Nev-R-Lubes.

Pre-season do the Dexter bearing inspection listed in Gary's thread. While you're on the road use an IR tool to check your hub temps periodically...or pay attention to your TPMS Temps if so equipped.

Tom - S/OS #025

Oh my!! I had not heard that Gary passed. Nice guy, even though I never met him in person. We talked by PM a lot. He was kind enough to send me a used hub and bearing for my travel kit....Just cause he wanted to. Wouldn't even let me.pay him for shipping.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:36 PM   #9
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfranklin View Post
Thanks all for the great info, Tom and Rich!

Looking at the threads, spot on about costs. I think Dexter's bearings are typically Timken anyway, so buying the Dexter part number you're right, adds serious money to the bearing alone. So the Timkin Set49 is the same 42mm bearing (in specs) that is in that Dexter kit? I've always used Timkin bearings in my past trailers with great results.
Exactly on the Timken Set49. Gary's example he used an online parts place Summit Racing. Look up the bearing for a 2010 PT Cruiser. The online search will show you a list of options. Get the best one: Timken Set49 $40.99 today 15 May 24..."Summit Racing 2010 PT Cruiser Wheel Bearing Search". I've used the Summit folks before, they're good to deal with. You'll also be able to find those other components individually for a much better price online than what the kit goes for. Just build your own kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Oh my!! I had not heard that Gary passed. Nice guy, even though I never met him in person. We talked by PM a lot. He was kind enough to send me a used hub and bearing for my travel kit....Just cause he wanted to. Wouldn't even let me.pay him for shipping.
That was Gary...he loved helping others out. He lived for troubleshooting and tinkering with stuff. He did lots of work to figure out the whole cross reference for the Nev-R-Lube bearings we use. We miss him. He loved Bourbon, Camp Fire and Coleman stuff. Next time out camping raise your glass and send him a kind word.

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Exactly on the Timken Set49. Gary's example he used an online parts place Summit Racing. Look up the bearing for a 2010 PT Cruiser. The online search will show you a list of options. Get the best one: Timken Set49 $40.99 today 15 May 24..."Summit Racing 2010 Wheel Bearing Search". I've used the Summit folks before, they're good to deal with. You'll also be able to find those other components individually for a much better price online than what the kit goes for. Just build your own kit.

That was Gary...he loved helping others out. He lived for troubleshooting and tinkering with stuff. He did lots of work to figure out the whole cross reference for the Nev-R-Lube bearings we use. We miss him. He loved Bourbon, Camp Fire and Coleman stuff. Next time out camping raise your glass and send him a kind word.

Tom - S/OS #025
Yeah, we had some conversation about my small coleman collection. Lanterns and stoves.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:30 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Quote:
Next time out camping raise your glass and send him a kind word.

Tom - S/OS #025

For sure will this weekend, first real camping trip of the season!

Just picked up 2- SET49s from Summit!
Old 05-16-2024, 06:45 AM   #12
Keys Dave

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Big Torch Key , FL
I wanted a 3 inch lift for my AS. I also thought it was a good time to get away from the never lube bearing and the auto adjust brakes. Mine were showing wear and one would not adjust. I contacted Dexter and for $ 1200.00 per axle got all new axles complete with shipping and the 3 inch lift.
I now have the EZ lube I am used to and the manual adjustment. All for less than two complete brake drums with the never-lube pre-installed.
Keys Dave is offline   Reply With Quote