Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2023, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Courtenay , British Columbia
Alternative to Dexter/Timken Bearing

Pulled the wheels to Re-n-Re the brake kits, because they're due, and noticed what I think is "excessive" grease leakage on one of the Nev-r-lube bearings. Getting a Dexter/Timken replacement bearing locally in Western Canada is not possible. Having one shipped in adds a lot to the already crazy price.
My question is; has anyone explored the FW115 bearing from SKF Bearings. It has the same specs as the Timken bearing; 42mm x 76mm x 39 mm. It cross references with the 31-073-3/JRM4249 Dexter/Timken part numbers. The idea was thrown at me by a local axle repair outfit.
I generally believe, you get what you pay for but when I can get four SKF bearings for the same as one Timken bearing I'm inclined to ask some more questions. Established in 1907 in Sweden, SKF is no slouch in the bearing business and the FW115 is listed as an aftermarket part for numerous vehicles. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...l_itrBVUk_SsWp
It would be interesting to find out if anyone has had an FW115 bearing give them grief or is happy with them on their trailer.
Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 05:24 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Aircanuck,

I know a bit confusing but take a look at Timken Set49. Link below.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tmk-set49

And some links for the seminar I presented at Alumalina last year about the Nev-R-Lube are in post 489. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f28...234746-25.html

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:06 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
As long as the bearing was not made in china I would give it a try. I did the bearings last year on my trailer and they didn’t have enough timken bearings and I got a couple from Japan. I can’t remember the brand. Will try to find out what they were.
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:09 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailer had Koyo bearings in it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Folks

One thing to remember in this thread is that the bearing in question is the Dexter Nev-R-Lube bearing. A cartridge bearing style similar to modern automotive hub bearing designs. Yes alt suppliers exist but the bearing is not the same as the old Classic cup and cone style.

Yes it can be confusing.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 01-17-2023, 02:34 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Appreciate the feedback. I had looked at the Summit Racing site but wanted to see what the Airstream faithful was using for bearings. The SKF FW115 is the only bearing I can get locally off the shelf.
The Timken Set 49 bearing is stamped with the same part number as OE on my trailer, the JRM 4249. Not sure why Summit Racing lists the part number as Timken Set 49.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:52 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Take a moment and look at the links in the thread I previously posted. This gets confusing. JRM4249 (assembly part number) is not a complete part number, there are about 4 or 5 variations (assembly code) on that base number. Look at the Timken info I attached. Not unusual for a user friendly part number to be used up front for bigger confusing numbers.

Other automotive aftermarket companies have same part, I just used Summit as I have purchased two SET49 from them.

Gary
Old 01-18-2023, 09:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
As long as the bearing was not made in china I would give it a try. I did the bearings last year on my trailer and they didn’t have enough timken bearings and I got a couple from Japan. I can’t remember the brand. Will try to find out what they were.
“Not made in China.”
If it says “China” return it. Timken/SKF are both good. I have had both and they are usually made in USA. Mexico, Canada are OK. I used to race a VW Rabbit and had front wheel bearings made in Mexico. They never failed me.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
shoreman

2007 20' Safari SE
Salisbury , Maryland
My previous sob was a Glendale 5th wheel with the same spec. number Never-lube bearing. Glendale had untold #s of bearing failures. The problem was 10mm offset wheels. Dexter made good till Glendale faded into the sunset. I found and used bearings on the internet that were “equal.” Not so. Physically they fit, so they worked for a while. When they went out they usually took the hub with them. (I did have disc brakes). The Dexter bearings had a metal reinforced seal, most others were rubber only. Spent lots of $$ on bearing cartridge’s and hubs ‘till I used the OEM.
Dave Ziara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You always get whatcha paid for. Sky is not timken
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Moreland , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I had looked at the Summit Racing site but wanted to see what the Airstream faithful was using for bearings. The SKF FW115 is the only bearing I can get locally off the shelf.
The Timken Set 49 bearing is stamped with the same part number as OE on my trailer, the JRM 4249. Not sure why Summit Racing lists the part number as Timken Set 49.
EDIT:OK, second re-reading, I see you are talking about Never Lube bearings. No idea why that would be listed as a "set" since it is a permanent one piece assembly.................. The rest of this is my explanation of why (generally) Timken uses set numbers. Ignore this if you wish, or if you have standard bearings, you might be interested in my chart. I complied it using the Dexter catalog.

Bearings (aka cones) and races (aka cups) are normally separate parts if obtained from industrial supply places. That is how the bearing manufacturers package them..... separately.

Timken uses set numbers to denote bearings and races packed together. Its the same components as the individual part but when packed in one box, they are a set, hence the set number.

I'll attach a compilation of bearing, race and seal numbers for different weight axles, including set numbers where I could find them. I have used the Summit sets on a couple of occasions and so has a friend of mine, but we are not too far from a Summit warehouse and store.

I sometimes pop into the AirForum out of curiosity and sometimes learn something.

The attachment is a JPG image and if you click on it, it will enlarge enough to be readable.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0wm13-Microsoft_Word_-_Table_of_Trailer_Bearing_Part_Numbers_1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	427461  
Old 01-24-2023, 11:27 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
I was all set to go with the Timken Set 49 bearings but I wasn't keen on putting the old drums back on my shiny new Dexter brake kits. After a half dozen calls to brake shops trying to get the old drum armatures turned I gave up and decided on new drums c/w Nev-r-lube bearings. Expensive, yes, but I know that the peace of mind will far outlast the pain of opening my wallet.
I'll give Summit a call and put a Set 49 bearing in the spares box.
Many thanks for all the input.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:35 PM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Aircanuck,

Peace of mind, priceless.

This is a thread I started showing a DIY Nev-R-Lube R&R w/o a shop press but with a special bearing screw press too kit. Done wrong someone can ruin an expensive bearing pretty darn quick. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-r-224416.html

Safe travels,

Gary
Old 01-25-2023, 08:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Pulled the wheels to Re-n-Re the brake kits, because they're due, and noticed what I think is "excessive" grease leakage on one of the Nev-r-lube bearings. Getting a Dexter/Timken replacement bearing locally in Western Canada is not possible. Having one shipped in adds a lot to the already crazy price.
My question is; has anyone explored the FW115 bearing from SKF Bearings. It has the same specs as the Timken bearing; 42mm x 76mm x 39 mm. It cross references with the 31-073-3/JRM4249 Dexter/Timken part numbers. The idea was thrown at me by a local axle repair outfit.
I generally believe, you get what you pay for but when I can get four SKF bearings for the same as one Timken bearing I'm inclined to ask some more questions. Established in 1907 in Sweden, SKF is no slouch in the bearing business and the FW115 is listed as an aftermarket part for numerous vehicles. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...l_itrBVUk_SsWp
It would be interesting to find out if anyone has had an FW115 bearing give them grief or is happy with them on their trailer.
How about a picture? Maybe your bearings are just fine.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:00 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Sorry, cleaned up the bearing in question. When the grease was scraped off the outboard side of the bearing, the glob was roughly the size of the end of your thumb. I pull the drums once a year and all the bearings had the usual weeping except one. I agree with you, "maybe" the bearing is fine; but for how long? I'm too old to play that game with myself.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Sorry, cleaned up the bearing in question. When the grease was scraped off the outboard side of the bearing, the glob was roughly the size of the end of your thumb. I pull the drums once a year and all the bearings had the usual weeping except one. I agree with you, "maybe" the bearing is fine; but for how long? I'm too old to play that game with myself.

They say 100,000 miles. My ram has 70,000 on sealed front and never look at them
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I am an OEM/TImken fan. (One of my first jobs was as a Toyota new car dealer technician…specially trained by them on axles and differentials…so….If Timken is unavailable…I will “settle” for SKF (which is not china…it’s Sweden…a nation famous for quality steel and machinery. NTN, NSK, and KOYO are also good Japanese brands.)

However, when we bought our used ‘08 Bambi in ‘15….and knowing it had been from Texas to Alaska and back…. I was concerned that the bearings had no record of having been serviced. Ever.

So I went to my local Car Quest for replacement bearings because this particular store is well-known for truck/trailer service and parts. They had no genuine Timkens in the required PN’s… nor SKFs…. but they had a whole case of chineese copies… not even properly packaged …but “loose” in a box with dozens of others.

Needless to say, I was skeptical… but $35 each cone and another $22 each cup for Timken and wait two days for delivery….or $10/set for the chineese copies and here they are …lots of them…in the box….

Well… here it is 2023 and 26,000+ miles later…with zero intermediate service (i.e., haven’t been re-greased since installation in 2015 despite 26K miles on them)…. they have done just fine.

It’s time to install new tires, so I’ll remove the wheels and inspect, re-pack or replace as necessary while I also inspect/replace the brakes.

BTW…at this price….chineese bearings in a zip-lok bag…. already greased and ready for install….I carry spare bearings in the storage compartment ever-since. (and so-far the old adage of “be prepared” has worked! I haven’t needed the spares at all.)

So…go worry yourself sick over chineese bearings…. or install them and keepon Airstreaming…
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:35 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Maybe they were SKF or Timken Bearings. Headline clips from SKF's and Timken's websites.

CANTON, Ohio: July 1, 2010 — The Timken Company (NYSE: TKR) said its Timken-XEMC Joint Venture in Xiangtan, Hunan province, China, recently began delivering its initial production of ultra-large bore bearings to XEMC Windpower Co., Ltd. The Timken® double-row tapered roller bearings ….

Gothenburg, 17 June 2020: SKF is making further investments in strengthening its manufacturing footprint in China for ball bearings. The investment is in-line with the Group’s region-for-region manufacturing strategy.

On a side note, my Drums c/w Nev-r-Lube Bearings arrived today from e-Trailer.
A few customers noted the packaging and shipping had issues. My shipment could not have been better packaged and they arrived in four business days, although we pay hefty shipping costs to Canada.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Maybe they were SKF or Timken Bearings. Headline clips from SKF's and Timken's websites.

CANTON, Ohio: July 1, 2010 — The Timken Company (NYSE: TKR) said its Timken-XEMC Joint Venture in Xiangtan, Hunan province, China, recently began delivering its initial production of ultra-large bore bearings to XEMC Windpower Co., Ltd. The Timken® double-row tapered roller bearings ….

Gothenburg, 17 June 2020: SKF is making further investments in strengthening its manufacturing footprint in China for ball bearings. The investment is in-line with the Group’s region-for-region manufacturing strategy.

On a side note, my Drums c/w Nev-r-Lube Bearings arrived today from e-Trailer.
A few customers noted the packaging and shipping had issues. My shipment could not have been better packaged and they arrived in four business days, although we pay hefty shipping costs to Canada.
Yep. That’s a good, informational post. Thanks.
(I don’t want to give a wrong impression however, I don’t like that my neighbors good jobs go overseas…especially to a potential opponent.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:38 AM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Yep. That’s a good, informational post. Thanks.
(I don’t want to give a wrong impression however, I don’t like that my neighbors good jobs go overseas…especially to a potential opponent.)
Chinese companies will make anything wanted.
Want junk, they make junk.
Want quality, they make quality.
Most of the Chinese companies make parts based on someone else's design. (A non-Chinese company)

And those Asian companies get the work, because consumers (especially US consumers) buy with a big slant towards price. Why do you think Walmart is so successful?

And you can post that you do not buy at Walmart. However, there are millions that do buy there. Millions! Because the lowest price advertising works.

Action